Is it ok to be bent over and ........

jcmeyerSS

Because the honest shop will say R1000 for the job where as the other guys will say R500 but charge R1200 when you collect?

I guess there are enough customers to keep going?

I don't get your question.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get your question.

No real question Sheriff.  Just saying that the dodgy stores will always give cheaper quotes but actually charge more in order to pull in business.  As opposed to a trusted LBS that gives an accurate quote up front.

And that there enough customers out there looking for a 'deal' and willing to take the cheapest quote for these dodgy bike shops to carry on (in the short term anyway).

Because the honest shop will say R1000 for the job where as the other guys will say R500 but charge R1200 when you collect?

I guess there are enough customers to keep going?

I think it is crap! If they know what they are doing? They could have warned the customer that he will charge R500, but it can go up to R1200, if all nipples or spokes are damaged...  I prefer that way.....

Whenever I've had wheels done at a shop I've always been given a price and told "it might go up depending on what we find"  - as long as they don't break too much in the process then I think that's acceptable.

R500 more though is slightly taking the piss 

No real question Sheriff.  Just saying that the dodgy stores will always give cheaper quotes but actually charge more in order to pull in business.  As opposed to a trusted LBS that gives an accurate quote up front.

And that there enough customers out there looking for a 'deal' and willing to take the cheapest quote for these dodgy bike shops to carry on (in the short term anyway).

Ah, get you now  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Assumption is the mother of all ********

What is in a major / minor service.

The reason it works for cars is that there is a detailed checklist of things to be done for your model of car, not so for a bike and hence people being disappointed.

Obviously hasn't done over 1000 specific things and has to resort to service fees.  :whistling:

Obviously hasn't posted done over 1000 times on the hub specific things and has to resort to service fees.   :whistling:

Fixed! Not assumption - joke!

Agreed. Maybe asking too much (Thinking too corporate here...). Business transactions seem to be far too relaxed when it comes to bike shops though. A service that is offered (Bike service, wheel build, fork service etc) should be a set price including relevant parts and consumables relevant to the item (HT, DS, road/mtb wheel etc). Any extras should be approved by the customer like rim tape, tubeless valves and the like.

The responsibility lies with the LBS as well to inform the customer that they charge X amount for a wheel build but that doesn't include replacement spokes, rim tape etc. At least the customer can expect additional charges. To be blindsided with a R500 additional bill when you bring R800 to collect your wheels is a bit offside IMO

suppose that is the bit, quote vs cost estimate ... two very different things then

I think it's pretty straightforward, 

Supply a quote/estimation, carry the job out as agreed. 
If something crops up and it affects the cost, especially if it's anything over and above 15% more than the original quote. Contact the customer and let them know up front. 

As far as I'm concerned if you spring a price increase on me that's nearly double the original quote/estimate then you are liable for the bulk of that. On principle alone.
There's far too many slack arsed approaches from workshops when it comes to quoting.

That said, there are also plenty people who play that 'JRA' game when dropping off bikes/gear knowing full well that things aren't right, but try and act dumb.

There should be some kind of organisation within the cycling community similar to the RMI that governs how people can work.... Either that or a good dose of ethics.....

The dodgy shop that under quotes is likely to get a lot more one time customers. However, the honest shop that quotes properly and doesn't surprise the customer will lose a few one time customers but they are a lot more likely to get a few more repeat customers than the dodgy shop......

Nothing worse than being lied to or deceived as a customer. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth that lasts a loooooooong time. 

Better to under commit and over deliver.

Funny this, a good couple of moons ago when I left school I worked at CWC.

Very basic principle was writing out a job card for the client listing the works required with a price attached. Client gets a copy.

If additional work was required, the client gets a call with a quote. The additional work was then added to the job card.

All clear, all done in a professional manner.

So how can we, in a age where life has moved on from a technological stand point, no be able to issue clients with written / typed and printed out quotations for work to be done and either email or at lease text or call the client should there be additional work / parts required, and get approval for this before proceeding.

Baffles the mind, but the principle of giving a quote and then doing as the "shop" thinks needs to be done, based on the assumption that the client will just accept and pay is not just a cycling trade issue, but to be seen in many different trades. I make this statement based on past experience.

My favourite mechie at my lbs is very good at staying in touch and checking out extras with me before doing the work. If he can do it.........

Funny this, a good couple of moons ago when I left school I worked at CWC.

Very basic principle was writing out a job card for the client listing the works required with a price attached. Client gets a copy.

If additional work was required, the client gets a call with a quote. The additional work was then added to the job card.

All clear, all done in a professional manner.

So how can we, in a age where life has moved on from a technological stand point, no be able to issue clients with written / typed and printed out quotations for work to be done and either email or at lease text or call the client should there be additional work / parts required, and get approval for this before proceeding.

Baffles the mind, but the principle of giving a quote and then doing as the "shop" thinks needs to be done, based on the assumption that the client will just accept and pay is not just a cycling trade issue, but to be seen in many different trades. I make this statement based on past experience.

Thats why i only ever let certain people touch my bikes.

The ones that cant do the simple things shouldnt do the rest.

Archived