If its just a bad headache(no vision problems or nausea) then it could well be to do with bike fit.

My wife gets hectic headaches cause by neck strain and sometimes shoulder strain.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only had it three times that I can remember. Two of those were in the last month, both started with my vision going blurry. After about 20 mins my vision would return, another 40mins or so later the nausea starts and it feels like my skull is on the edge of exploding.

Yup, that's exactly the sequence of events. There is medication available, but they only help partially and you need to take it immediately when you feel it coming on. Migraine is unfortunately not like a head ache you can just throw a Disprin at and 10 minutes later you're better. Ai good luck boet. Not fun at all. 

In my case I got headaches from too much sugar (in Energade, Game, Powerade, etc)...swithched over to 32GI and I am as happy as can be :thumbup:

This is interesting. I was never into energy drinks. But buy them ocasionally to see if they help. I also use gels occasionally. But dont make a point of always having them. If I'm in a store and I see them. I'll buy one or two. I dont make a point of having them for every ride.

One thing I do religiously though is eat a banana with honey and 500ml water before a ride, surf or run. But mostly because its yummy. Then take an extra banana and camebak with 1-1.5 litres water along for the ride. I havnt tried rehydrate...yet

In my case I got headaches from too much sugar (in Energade, Game, Powerade, etc)...swithched over to 32GI and I am as happy as can be :thumbup:

REG......your headaches aren't form sugars.....its the way you ride...maniac..... :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Are you sure you're getting migraines or is it just bad head aches? I have been suffering from migraines from primary school and in my case they go along with partial loss of vision, flickering images in front of your eyes, eyes becoming very light sensitive, nausea etc etc. and of course extreme head ache. Are you displaying these symptoms?

This sounds like my mild hangover.

REG......your headaches aren't form sugars.....its the way you ride...maniac..... :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

@ Mental Mamba: ..takes one to know one...maniac... :w00t:

If its just a bad headache(no vision problems or nausea) then it could well be to do with bike fit.

My wife gets hectic headaches cause by neck strain and sometimes shoulder strain.

I'm just over 1.6m tall and all my bikes are small frames with 720mm bars and 50mm stems. I feel comfortable on all my bikes and there is only a small variation on my position on the bike depending on the type of bike it is. More upright and sloped back on the downhill bike, etc.

It must be said that I never suffer from any other pains and very seldomly experience muslce fatigue. Its like my head takes it all. Its a good suggestion. But I dont think its it.

Take as much electrolytes as possible before and after with water. To much clean water may flush your body from electrolytes. If this does not solve the problem it might not stem from hydration issues unless you have a serious kidney problem or something preventing you to hydrate effectively.

There are so many issues. It might be motion or eyesight in motion related where it is actually you eyes or motion sensors not happy with what you do. Try exercising on a stationary bike.

As someone else suggested it might be from your position on the bike but that has to be very terrible to have an effect over a short distance.

Something else to consider is recent head trauma. It might be that you never really recovered in which case see a doctor.

If you really want to get better ask your doctor to subscribe a serious of thing you can try out. Eliminating causes one by one. Tell the chap he needs to solve the problem and not just mumble something and hope you and your problem goes away.

Manage your stress and they should slowly disappear

You sound like my wife! But yeah I'm not brushing it off. Been a little snowed under with work and other things. But nothing in my life worth losing sleep over. Funny thing is. The sports I use to detress are giving my pain :wacko:

I also suffer from migraines since my teens, and have luckily been able to identify most of the triggers.

My vision is also affected prior to the onset of the headache and nausea side.  

Sometimes the flickering / blindspots in my vision is triggered by an actual / physical obstruction in my vision (sun reflecting of a cars windscreen, mud speckle on cycling glasses, or even just a sweat smear on the glasses), which then triggers the full on migraine attack.  

If you ride with shades, then my advice is to make sure that it is a type that works for you, that does not distort the vision at all, does not easily mist up and then to keep it clean during the ride to prevent spots occuring in your field of view.

I sometimes purposely ride without cycling specs for this reason, particularly on heavy overcast days, as these tend to be worse for me.

I'm just over 1.6m tall and all my bikes are small frames with 720mm bars and 50mm stems. I feel comfortable on all my bikes and there is only a small variation on my position on the bike depending on the type of bike it is. More upright and sloped back on the downhill bike, etc.

It must be said that I never suffer from any other pains and very seldomly experience muslce fatigue. Its like my head takes it all. Its a good suggestion. But I dont think its it.

Ok that should rule fitment out then.

Do you wear sunnies when you ride? not something to do with light maybe?

Do you get them when you go for a surf or a run?

Any possibility the activities are exposing you to substances that cause allergies....maybe even the honey and or bananas? If not allergies then consider other stimuli...possibly even something subconscious, reminder of a past event?

Only ever had one migraine...would not wish it on anyone.

Good luck

Dont i know it. Eish.... Sometime just looking up from my computer screen and my eye catch the glare from the fluorescent light in the office and BOOOM there it hits.... I avoid things like cheese, chocolates, fatty foods etc Seems to help.

Spot on!  I used to get migraines at least once a week when I was in my early twenties.  Eventually found out it was triggered after I ate a big slab of chocolate or such.  I used to eat like 3 choc bars every day at that time.  I stopped with that and the migraines have been gone ever since.

Have you changed your type of feeding for a ride?  Energy bar.  Could also be caused by your riding glasses.

Funny enough exercise is one of the suggested cures for migraine suffers, but for some of us ... exercise causes migraines and is medically recognised. Search for "exercise induced migraine" . They don't know exactly what causes it and they can be fairly random.

In my case its heat and intense exercise. Short hard bursts at max heart rate will normally cause me problems down the line. This does not happen every ride/race, but an intense game of squash is a guaranteed migraine for me :(

Hydration, rest, foods etc make no difference. I don't suffer from migraines on a normal day to day basis, but did in my late teens and twenties.

Ok that should rule fitment out then.

Do you wear sunnies when you ride? not something to do with light maybe?

Do you get them when you go for a surf or a run?

I dont wear sunnies or goggles. I have experienced it with surfing and running.

I will make a point to wear them on rides and see if it helps. Thank you

Any possibility the activities are exposing you to substances that cause allergies....maybe even the honey and or bananas? If not allergies then consider other stimuli...possibly even something subconscious, reminder of a past event?

Only ever had one migraine...would not wish it on anyone.

Good luck

As far as I know I'm only allergic to cats. Dogs I'm fine with and my dogs are basically the reason I run. I've made a point of wearing sunnies and substituting the bananas and honey with something else for my next ride.

Guess I'll have to see