Build advice needed

tseries

Hi, if the bike is to small it will never be comfortable. Get yourself measured. I dont know the bike but its got good components.

Can't say I know the brand (frame), but it looks like decent bike (components are great!).

If the frame is too small for you maybe try and swap the frame for a bigger/compatible one (the Merida Lite 1000 should work since it also has a Through Axle at the back). Note that this should be a last resort since it may turn out to be a very expensive exercise (may need to change more than just the frame (like seat post, front derailleur etc.), especially since its not a know brand in SA).

Building it over onto another frame might turn out to be an expensive exercise, but, it is always fun if you do it yourself.

Thanks for the replies. I'm 6.1" and the bike is 19". Will the seatpost on max im still sitting too low. Guess its going back :(

Thanks for the replies. I'm 6.1" and the bike is 19". Will the seatpost on max im still sitting too low. Guess its going back :(

I'm 6'1" and using a 19.5" frame on my 26er which fits perfectly. No problems with seat post.

How long is the seat post? You can maybe replace it with a 400mm if its a 350mm. May solve the problem at a very low cost.

I'm 6'1" and using a 19.5" frame on my 26er which fits perfectly. No problems with seat post.

How long is the seat post? You can maybe replace it with a 400mm if its a 350mm. May solve the problem at a very low cost.

Seat post is 200mm to max level and 280mm overall.

Seat post is 200mm to max level and 280mm overall.

That sounds very short, maybe pop in at an LBS (Linden Cycles or Cycle Lab Fourways) with the bike and see what they say. A nice alloy seatpost will be in the region of R400 (I bought a Pro Koryak 27.2x400mm from Linden Cycles couple of months ago).

The seatpost on my one bike is 350mm (think this is the standard length) and on the other 400mm.

19" is a large.

Look in the classifieds and buy a 410mm seat post and try that. Maybe also consider a 100mm stem.

Call the buyer and tell him there may might be a problem and that you might need to return the bike. Nothing beats proper communication

19" is a large.

Look in the classifieds and buy a 410mm seat post and try that. Maybe also consider a 100mm stem.

Call the buyer and tell him there may might be a problem and that you might need to return the bike. Nothing beats proper communication

No. No, no, no. You do NOT sort out bike fit issues in the MTB world with a longer stem. 

He'd be sacrificing high speed stability, steering control, body positioning (weight over the front wheel) and have a host of other issues if he lengthened the stem to such a degree.

Rather try for the refund or just chalk it up t school fees, and get a new frame.

19" is a large.

Thanks, ya I did speak to the seller and he is happy to refund. Just seems like a pity to pass up on good components. I've been searching a lot and you're lucky to get one XT on a R10k bike.

Thanks, ya I did speak to the seller and he is happy to refund. Just seems like a pity to pass up on good components. I've been searching a lot and you're lucky to get one XT on a R10k bike.

Brilliant. That's first prize right there. But yes - that seatpost is mega short. 

No. No, no, no. You do NOT sort out bike fit issues in the MTB world with a longer stem.  He'd be sacrificing high speed stability, steering control, body positioning (weight over the front wheel) and have a host of other issues if he lengthened the stem to such a degree. Rather try for the refund or just chalk it up t school fees, and get a new frame.

It probably has an 80mm stem on it now. Going to a 100mm stem won't make that big a difference to a 6"1 individual

Archived