Heia Safari berms going off camber and throwing you into the bushes

BenGraham

So I went for a ride at Heia Safari yesterday and I noticed an alarming trend mostly evident on the yellow and blue sections. There are these massive berms that seem designed to create speed and as someone who gets a kick out of even the smallest of berms I was pleased but I regularly found myself almost losing it on the exit. It seemed to be that the berm had been created and crafted to perfection but the exit went completely off camber and as such all that speed you've gained from the berm becomes a total liability and you end up in the bushes.

Am I just a noob who doesn't know how to corner or is this wrong? I'm all for challenge and I reckon I do know how to corner for the most part but this just felt like it killed the pleasure of the well crafted berm. Berms should be flowy and fun but instead I found myself slowing down on the exit of the corner which is completely backwards and seems to go against everything the berm is about. Strangely it was the natural berms that had been created by lots of tyres that felt right and allowed one to carry speed. I started to feel like these berms where maintained by someone who didn't really know what they were for. Not offense to the hard work that clearly went into this venue but I thought some critique is never a bad thing.

Just interested in others opinions in case I'm just rubbish.

Your observation is spot on.

The berms ejects you off-camber. And the exit is filled with little marbles.  Caught my wife out there couple of weeks ago - front washed out, and she had a little trail rash (i did not witness the incident)

To an unsuspecting rider, not expecting the sketchy exit - it is treatcherous.

I think the guys at Hero Adventure park have listened to comments and suggestions before, thus the installation of the berms were initiated, but perhaps the guys doing the building needs to be shown to tweak the exits for a smooth transition.

I havent ridden at Heia yet, but I've seen the same at Wolwespruit and BRB where the berm ends too early, and you really have to pull the bike back in to avoid running into that off camber bit...

Hey, what happened to MTBing? Thought MTBers rode the earth as is :)

correct.

I prefer no berm, to a poorly built berm.

Like having cranks that turn only 3quarters of the way...it's the last 25% that spoils the action.

the last thing you want to have is to rail a berm, only to be ejected onto mother earth like a noob discovering the front brake round a corner...

Must agree with you, I have been working berms and think I am ok on them - getting some serious speed out the tail..  On those ones, blue route, thought I had left my brain at home, was also nearly loosing it coming out - into the grass and marbles on a few of them!!

I'm no expert, but I also came short on an exit of one of the berms last Friday during the night race, was on my second lap. 

Other than that, it was awesome. 

I haven't ridden there either but I have been dreaming of berms lately...for Northern Farm. :ph34r:  Some of those early-on sections where you get to pump it down the cow humps and other nice down hills only to require full anchor application at the end to change direction at 90 degrees or end up sliding along with the rubbery bits up or diced in three by a farm fence. Come on NF! We know it's a working farm and all but some big ass luge-esque berms wouldn't go amiss. You can even make 'em out of compost and grow mushrooms or something out the back end. :P  

The marbles almost got me a few times too but that's kind of hard to control. I feel like that would have been acceptable if the transition had been better. Tend to agree rather no berm or small berm than poor berm. I was thinking about how a beginner might come short there. It is definitely trickier than necessary and this is the beginner route so the trail builders should consider these things. I agree with patchelicious though but a man made berm is already contrived and in this case seeks to give you a whooping roller coaster effect. The ground is smooth so it lends itself to this but if you don't think about the transitions you're just encouraging people to go off line and damage the trail. You can already see it happening in some places.

Hopefully the guys who maintain these trails will be interested in some rider feedback. I'm also pleased to at least know it's not just me. The red by the way was thrilling; needed more rocks though. Although some of the sudden sharp hills did get me. Also I'm a little worn out lately.

IMO the problem at Heia is the berms are not in the right place in the corner so you can't rail them like normal. I've had some success by squaring off the corner a bit on the berm. But you will run out of berm if you try ride them normally. Simply, they just too short and don't run past the exit of the turn.

Oi, went on a ride today after work and had a close encounter with mother earth also on a berm.

I go there for almost the last 6 months, twice a week ... if the workload allows it ... and ride the blue and yellow route.

I followed all the development stages now and must say that i really like the continues development, but there seems to be no one with the proper knowledge of building those berms the right way.

What to do?

Im glad to hear that you guys are also having some issues with the berms and that its not only my lack of skills thats the issue. The radius of the berms seems to change towards the end of the berms at Heia and feels like it's flattening out. I've tried to take the berms with more speed thinking that this would sort out my problem, but no. The berms at Red Barn seems to flow nicely and they seems to be on the correct radius and a constant and continues radius as well. What factors or elements makes a good berm a great one?

Edited by Jakkals77