Self defence on rides

jusbob

I doubt it.

Maybe an initial period of intensive classes should be added. Usual people have no interest in self defense or adding it into your schedule wont fit your lifestyle. I recon having confidence is probably the best weapon one can have in a situation where you have to defend yourself because these guys wont stop when you merely use defensive moves they need to be attacked to actually go away.

Mostly people underestimate what they can or can't do. And the attacker is probably not trained in anything he either gets confidence in numbers, a weapon or thinks he is invincible from being a repeat offender or the stuff he smoked.

Probably not against a trained attacker. But where even a few lessons come in handy is to know what to do. Most people freeze and others run and others try to defend but have no clue and is just doing some form of wrestling.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True......guys that like to use their legs for attack you move closer to as a defence and limit their space........while moving away for the quick hands okes. But if you can read a punch from a mile....move in as detence with vinige handjies as attack.

This is what I read in Streetfighting 101........most probably why I also got bliksemed alot.

You know more than what you are letting on.

Maybe an initial period of intensive classes should be added. Usual people have no interest in self defense or adding it into your schedule wont fit your lifestyle. I recon having confidence is probably the best weapon one can have in a situation where you have to defend yourself because these guys wont stop when you merely use defensive moves they need to be attacked to actually go away.

Mostly people underestimate what they can or can't do. And the attacker is probably not trained in anything he either gets confidence in numbers, a weapon or thinks he is invincible from being a repeat offender or the stuff he smoked.

Probably not against a trained attacker. But where even a few lessons come in handy is to know what to do. Most people freeze and others run and others try to defend but have no clue and is just doing some form of wrestling.

Effective self-defence against an agressor is about having knowledge regarding the vulnerable areas of the body, developing sound self-defence technique, and automating your reactions to such an event. You will be amazed at how much bodily damage and injury a simple bicycle spoke in trained hands can can result in........and the fight will be over in seconds.

Definitely as has been said, pick your fights. That said, I reckon one pretty good weapon is your helmet. I would say small pepper spray in your pocket, give him a squirt with that, and if he's still blindly coming at you groping in the air, a swift headbutt to the nose should see him down long enough for you to get back on your bike and hightail it.

Sometimes you just gotta fight back and its better if you know how.  In my case 3 thugs attacked me, the one with the knife did not wait for me to hand over my possessions but immediately started to stab me, only been able to manage to remove his knife and my helmet saving my skull from been crushed am I able to type this. 

I've taken to carry a pistol when I cycle, especially in view of the pot shots taken at cyclists some time ago in PTA East (out with Garsfontein). 

I can live with losing my bike to an attacker, but if he starts off shooting or stabbing at me, then I'd like to be able to defend myself.  I'm slight and light, so physical defence is likely to end badly for me. :blush: 

As for picking your fights - if he seems to be unarmed, can you be sure he is?  The only fight I'd pick is the one I really cannot avoid at all.

Karate and Aikido both are a self defense Martial Art, yet both allow good attacks by simply defending.

The problem I have with all these courses and things people do, I am in favour of it, I must just add.

The issue however, going to one or two classes a week is not going to help in the heat of the moment, most people will hit a complete blank and forget what they learnt.

Muscle memory and second nature is the key, you can take most classes and ask people to show you two hours after the class what they learnt, step by step and they would have forgotten.

That is step by step, when the poo hits the fan the attacker will not be a willing partner.

That's why you train for years...... up to 6 hours a week........  Do you think ANY professional could be proficient after a 2 hour lesson in anything?

That's why you train for years...... up to 6 hours a week........  Do you think ANY professional could be proficient after a 2 hour lesson in anything?

I dunno, I am a lazy sorts.

Self defence - defending yourself.....

1)  Stay out of doggy situations (scruffy bars, riding alone, boardrooms :-)

2)  First reaction should always be to escape ....RUN or RIDE

3)  Work with the attacker with the aim to escape not anger him

4)  Only use force once you are certain it is required

5)  Make it count and don't stop - Throat, eyes, balls.... don't stop until you have one of those 3 in your hands.....

Traditional martial arts is good for a sport..... they have lost most of their combativeness due to them focusing more on the "do" - spiritual side (JuDO, AikiDO, KenDO, etc....)  Still effective but you need lots and lots of training.

Combative systems like Krav Maga, Systema etc.......that is the "new" form of self-defence.... quick and nasty with one purpose only to destroy your attacker.

Also keep in mind that the "art" is only as good as the practioner..... much like the bike is only as good as the rider.....

Self defence - defending yourself.....

1)  Stay out of doggy situations (scruffy bars, riding alone, boardrooms :-)

2)  First reaction should always be to escape ....RUN or RIDE

3)  Work with the attacker with the aim to escape not anger him

4)  Only use force once you are certain it is required

5)  Make it count and don't stop - Throat, eyes, balls.... don't stop until you have one of those 3 in your hands.....

Traditional martial arts is good for a sport..... they have lost most of their combativeness due to them focusing more on the "do" - spiritual side (JuDO, AikiDO, KenDO, etc....)  Still effective but you need lots and lots of training.

Combative systems like Krav Maga, Systema etc.......that is the "new" form of self-defence.... quick and nasty with one purpose only to destroy your attacker.

Also keep in mind that the "art" is only as good as the practioner..... much like the bike is only as good as the rider.....

I see.

I see.

LOL.....not trying to preach.... just giving my opinion :-) Hope it didn't come across the wrong way :-/

, and the only martial arts where even your defensive moves are towards an attacker.

Well that bits wrong.

... a simple bicycle spoke in trained hands can can result in........and the fight will be over in seconds.

Car keys, pen, a shoe even. Using anything you can get your hands on driven into particular parts of the body can either kill, maim, or incapacitate anyone. Someone mentioned in a previous post about getting to know vulnerable parts of the body, focus on those and put the other person down as quickly as you can and get the hell out of there. 

Here are some that I think of : eyes, ears, throat, groin, knees, kidneys, back of the head

The problem is the definition of trained.

Also some people are more natural fighters than others, if you are not and the attacker is a natural it takes a shed load of training (or luck) to overcome that.

LOL.....not trying to preach.... just giving my opinion :-) Hope it didn't come across the wrong way :-/

Indeed, but you missed the mark a little .

Archived