2015 Tour de France

Frosty

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much cooler today in Utrecht .Woken up by staff erecting barriers accross the canal where we are staying .Already a couple of dutch putting out their chairs and coolboxes .The dutch are very passionate about cycling .There are 20 dutch riders taking part and 6 made it in the top 16 yesterday .They regard belgiums as part of them ,so you can add another 10 .To them a MTB is a bike with gears .Singlespeed is King .I have seen thousands of bikes ,but not a single 29er mtb .The police ride on 26 mtb,s .The locals have polished and brought out their 50year old steel roadbikes like Jan Jansen,s .

Much cooler today in Utrecht .Woken up by staff erecting barriers accross the canal where we are staying .Already a couple of dutch putting out their chairs and coolboxes .The dutch are very passionate about cycling .There are 20 dutch riders taking part and 6 made it in the top 16 yesterday .They regard belgiums as part of them ,so you can add another 10 .To them a MTB is a bike with gears .Singlespeed is King .I have seen thousands of bikes ,but not a single 29er mtb .The police ride on 26 mtb,s .The locals have polished and brought out their 50year old steel roadbikes like Jan Jansen,s .

Man I envy you.

Enjoy every moment

Today's stage 2:

It's a pancake flat 166km stage but it won't be a straight forward day in the saddle for the peloton with crosswinds and storms predicted for today.

Has the TDF always had a "hot seat" for the time trial or is this something they borrowed from downhill mtb?

Doubt it was borrowed from DH. A few sports use the hot seat idea, such as skiing. I don't remember a time that there wasn't a hot seat in TT. This form of road cycling has been around for a very long time. DH more likely borrowed the concept.

Seeing some pics of the finish.. yoh it's going to be chaotic and apparently the wind is picking up.

How cool is it to see Qhubeka on the top ten list?

Bet I don't stay awake this afternoon watching this rage.

Light L-R crosswinds of 10km/h at the moment (gusting to 15 km/h). But the wind will slowly change to a N wind late in the day, which means a tailwind in the finale. If the strong teams are going to use echelons to force splits, they'll need to make racing hard from the start. Because when it eventually becomes a tailwind and they're all still together, the sprint trains will be smiling.

Anyway, I don't think such a light breeze will make too much of a difference to them. Predicting a traditional sprint finish today.

Jeez, looking at the latest images, the wind is starting to really blow now. Looks at least 30+ knots. The 3 different weather sites I checked were all wrong.

Lead 3 riders caught by front peloton group, split struggling to catch 1st group.

*** weather at the finish, could make it very interesting!

Peloton in heavy rain, lots of small crashes happening at the back. 57kms to go

Archived