Trans Baviaans 2015

hboli4

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of a team of 4  person mixed team . 2 men and 2 ladies.  Could not do it last year.  Hope it will work out this year. 

Absolutely stoked.  !!!

1st one... Entered, paid (EFT). No confirmation yet, but I trust it'll be a day or two for the EFT refno's to be matched to team entries before we get confirmation from officialdom that we're suckers for punishment.

Interesting mix of excitement and that what-thaaa...-did-I-get-myself-into-now in the stomach. Think I'll need a beer for that. 

See you there SeaBee !!!!

We can do a few training ride together.  :clap:

Entered. Second one coming up; Will hopefully crack that bloody never ending climb and decent in natural light this time round... Definitely spent to much time at the water points... But who can blame a man!!

Entered this for the 1st time and also entered the Trans Draak 1/2 as a prep race in Feb. So now the training must start. Looking at those climbs I better shed more than a few kilo's as well. Anyone with a good diet plan while traing.

Good luck to everyone who has an entry.

For the 1st timers dont stress its not a particularly tough ride. Think 130km downhill to the start. Get over Bergplaas in the light. Only use one box for the last planned checkpoint before dark for warm clothes and lights. Dont mess around at the checkpoints - eat drink, fill up and go, they are time theives (okay the curry lamb sosaties are a problem to leave behind).

The view into the Baviaans while climbing MAC is incredible, you will never forget it. True wilderness.

Entered last night!

I did it this year, it was a blast (I can say that now, but it was though!)

Now I aonly need to convince my teamate

Bring on the pain!

For once,I actually entered before the entries closed, and didn't have to resort to bribing Elmarie koeksisters and droëwors. Number 12 coming up.

For all the first timers - here is a link to an email I got before the first Baviaans. We were still allowed to take backup cars through the Kloof, and as you can tell, no one really knew what to expect - 230kms on a bike was almost unheard of!

These were also the days when halogen lights were your only real option, and you almost carried your own body weight in spare batteries. DIY lighting solutions with motorbike batteries weren't uncommon.

The last line is just as fitting now as it was 12 years ago:

"Make sure you read the map. Otherwise you WILL get lost. You only have to make 5 turns throughout the whole race. Just make sure you make them at the right places. You have been warned."

Awesome Awsome event.

2015 is number 9 for me.

If you didn't get an entry for Baviaans, try Trans Draak. Done my 1st one this year and is going back in Febr 2015 for number 2. The same awesomeness as Baviaans, just so much closer to home (Gauteng)

Archived