Trans Baviaans 2015

hboli4

Unfortunately our team had to bail on this race, but it will remain on the bucket list!

With a heavy heart I placed an add for the entry in the classifieds...

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see all the entries for sale, if you asked me Saturday 3h00 into my training ride I would have gladly added ours to the "For Sale" list.

But on the flipside, I'm never ever putting myself through this winter training torture for a TB event again, so just gonna stuck it out and make most of my one & only TB race  :thumbup:

Darem 80km (buite) vanoggend gery. En was gister 3 ure op die indoor trainer. Wonder of dit genoeg is?

Nee wat jy sal fine wees. Ek kry net nie tyd omt oefen nie. Die naweek net 'n 70km in gekry. Dan die naweek wat kom lyk my gaan ongelooflik koud wees!! :eek:

Interesting to see all the entries for sale, if you asked me Saturday 3h00 into my training ride I would have gladly added ours to the "For Sale" list.

But on the flipside, I'm never ever putting myself through this winter training torture for a TB event again, so just gonna stuck it out and make most of my one & only TB race  :thumbup:

I hear you, but unfortunately not all the guys on the team were able to do the training through winter - for various reasons. We did the Jock on Saturday and realized that we'll be better of cutting our losses at this stage - and probably save some friendships!

Hi All,

This is my first TB & I would like to record it on Strava. I have a Mio Cyclo 505 computer, but it has only got a battery life of 10 hours. And I am afraid we are not going to make it in ten, by at least a couple of hours. 

Will a iPhone 4(new) be able to last that long with Strava open? How do the veterans do it?

Tx

Werner

Riding Baviaans under 10 hours is possible, although probably a little unlikely (no offence).

Two Mio Cyclo 505 computers? 2 iPhones? 1 Computer + 1 iPhone and merge the GPX files? I can send you mine (If I don't get any KOMS).

Julle Capies sukkel met die koue. Kom oefen hier in die Vrystaat  :whistling:

But I also made the exact same decision this past weekend. Left my wife and 4 month old baby in our warm bed at 6 on Sat morning for my training ride. It was -1 when I started and took about 2 hours for the temp to go above 6. 

This is my 5 consecutive year training trough the winter and hopefully it will be my 5th Baviaans finish. But it will be my last Baviaans for at least a year or two

Great race and you will see if you do it once, you will be back for at least a couple more! :thumbup:

Went for a 5 hour ride on sunday still about 8 short of what our "goal" was about 2 month ago. MMM going to be tough out there. Still not convinced that it will be pleasant

170km ride on Saturday stating at 5am with the temperature reaching minus 7 at one point. Ride included a loop of suikerbosrand. Followed this by a 90km ride on Sunday...

To date nearly 7000kms completed as training this year for the transbaviaans!

Both myself and partner in decent shape at the moment and looking forward to the race!

I'm doing my first TB this year. I'm a bit worried about the orientering, should you have a GPS   device that can guide you or is it easy enough to stay on the road?

Also, what sort of food do they have at the checkpoints? Should you put some things to eat in your containers or is there enough treats at the checkpoints?

Is anyone doing the Rooiberg leg of the Ashburton National MTB series as prep for TB? 

I'm doing my first TB this year. I'm a bit worried about the orientering, should you have a GPS   device that can guide you or is it easy enough to stay on the road?

Also, what sort of food do they have at the checkpoints? Should you put some things to eat in your containers or is there enough treats at the checkpoints?

Is anyone doing the Rooiberg leg of the Ashburton National MTB series as prep for TB?

The navigation is minimal, 2 left turns ...or is it right? If you're mid-pack, food is good gets a bit thin at the back. If your support vehicle is meeting you on the other side of the reserve its nice if they have something you are going to be happy with. Put snacks in boxes as you want.

7000!! :eek:

Julle Capies sukkel met die koue. Kom oefen hier in die Vrystaat  :whistling:

Ja nee die koue in die Vrystaat sal my breek, enigiets onder 6 grade en ek bly in die bed sonder om eers skuldig te voel....

170km ride on Saturday stating at 5am with the temperature reaching minus 7 at one point. Ride included a loop of suikerbosrand. Followed this by a 90km ride on Sunday...

Both myself and partner in decent shape at the moment and looking forward to the race!

I saw the ride you and Corras did on Strava. Insane x 170. I think you guys are an example of what training should look like.  :thumbup:

Archived