Trans Baviaans 2015

hboli4

Enjoy the ride everyone, especially the first-timers. Once you stand shivering in Willowmore's main street on Saturday morning with the brass band (hope they're still there!) banging away in a side-street, you'll know you're in for something special. 

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, dont bother following the signs on the last 10km that takes you through the singletrack. the singletrack is only 300m longer than taking the tarred road and you wont get disqualified or penalised because its not in the race rules or UCI sanctioned! happy days

If you REALLY want the file I can mail my garmin file to you

Are you sure about this?

Boys n girls, just make sure you drink enough!

Don't fall repeat my mistake and end up on a drip... It's perfectly doable, just don't screw yourself over like I did.

Though I can attest, they do look after you well once you are in their care. But riding up MAC puking and dehydrated, not even WANTING to take a sip... it's not fun. Don't go there. 

Enjoy it! 

Don't fall repeat my mistake and end up on a drip... It's perfectly doable, just don't screw yourself over like I did.

Though I can attest, they do look after you well once you are in their care. But riding up MAC puking and dehydrated, not even WANTING to take a sip... it's not fun. Don't go there. 

Enjoy it! 

Aish Seabee, glad you are ok. I saw someone lying on a drip in medical at Bergplaas when we came in. It was actually very warm this year compared to basically the last 4 years, I reminded my team to take a sip every 20min or so and keep hydrated, saw other people caight out as well.

Enjoy it!

My partner ended up in the Medical tent at Bergplass and that was the end of his race. Drink plenty and eat plenty, don't take chances.

oh, dont bother following the signs on the last 10km that takes you through the singletrack. the singletrack is only 300m longer than taking the tarred road and you wont get disqualified or penalised because its not in the race rules or UCI sanctioned! happy days

I don't understand why you would want to do this. Just to tell your mates, "Oh I took the easy route home". Not cool in my book.

Enjoy it! 

Seabee, you will have a chance to redeem yourself! That can happen to anyone!

I don't understand why you would want to do this. Just to tell your mates, "Oh I took the easy route home". Not cool in my book.

Agree, and it is like 5km not 10km.

And it is not particularly hard, just annoying.

And there was a marshall when we went past who might have noticed if we ignored his flag waving...

Thanks. If there's anyone in Willowmore that can help out. Please give me a shout.

Please explain to your fellow hubbers how you can get your bikes all the way to Willowmore but not 40km further?  :ph34r:

Why do you want to ride a different and quicker/easier route than everyone else? Thats cheating

Well done to all those who did it - what were the water crossings like this year?

Water crossings was fun this year, just a small splash when riding trough. But all of them were ride able and one or two were a bit deep

Please explain to your fellow hubbers how you can get your bikes all the way to Willowmore but not 40km further? [emoji14]h34r:

With pleasure! [emoji6]

It's a long story, but you asked so nicely, so here goes...

We're 9 guys going down to ride. Most of the guys are going down in a minibus we've rented for the trip. I'm not joining the bus, as I'm bringing my wife and two boys with on the trip. My team mate is also driving with us. (we're a 2 man team) Our bikes will be on my bakkie's bike rack. The missus and kids are dropping us in Willowmore on Friday for registration and then driving down to Jbay for some beach time while we go ride. Therefore, we're jumping in the bus to get to and from registration on Friday and the start on Saturday morning. The bus has a trailer with 7 bikes in already so there won't be space for ours as well. So, if we can drop and leave our bikes in Willowmore on Friday already it'll save us a bit of admin.

I had a great ride. With 3 hours avg training per week I felt great from the beginning till the end. We were set to do a sub 12:30 but my partner went through a tough time from Baviaans Back to the top of MAC that resulted in puking and pushing a lot. 

But luckily he was a beast and battled through the rough time rather than to quit, and I completed my 5th Baviaans in 13:39 and was thankful to finish all 5 with all my team mates.

That shield is awesome and I have a special place for that in my house.