Cape cycle tour - can it get worse??

W1Z@RD

I cannot understand why this race worked fine for so long and now it is a total mess... Are they trying to compete with local government to see how big a fubar they can make out of something so simple??

If I had not done 15 I would call it a day.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my humble opinion the jump from selling out in a couple of weeks last year to selling out in a single day this year does not seem right. Something fishy is going on here. The lottery seems like a haphazard attempt to fix a bigger problem. The little email hiccup is annoying but I don't think it is the real issue....

To add to the confusion: I entered my wife and myself into the lottery. My wife received the double email, and I didn't receive anything at all yet... what now?

In my humble opinion the jump from selling out in a couple of weeks last year to selling out in a single day this year does not seem right. Something fishy is going on here. The lottery seems like a haphazard attempt to fix a bigger problem. The little email hiccup is annoying but I don't think it is the real issue....

To add to the confusion: I entered my wife and myself into the lottery. My wife received the double email, and I didn't receive anything at all yet... what now?

Try and enter and see what happens

i think what happened is that they allocated too many tickets to charities who now ask rediculous prices and cant sell all the entries, so they perhaps took somee back and now sell them via lotteries.

Anyhow my husband got the email, me not. I just slotted in my name and still managed to enter.......

I got a successful mail, entered to ensure my dad had 2 chances, he also got a successful entry, so I wont use it, first PM to come through can have it..

Weird why they changed it after all these years . But now we can cycle for a good cause and still it will be a blast 

Ek het in die Argus 2015 Forum onder meer ‘n tong in die kies opmerking gemaak as volg:

Ek vertrou dat die prosedure met terugbetaling van die totale bedrag soortgelyk ook drie dubbel en dwars met krediete begroet sal word.”…………………….en toe wrintiewaar gebeur dit!

My kredietkaart is aanvanklik x3 keer debiteer vir my en my vrou se inskrywings sonder dat ons ingeskryf was met die aanvanklike probleem wat daar was met inskrywing en kon ek alleen met die x4de betaling suksesvol inskryf.    Na 'n tydperk toe ek my kredietkaart nagaan om seker te maak dat die ander x3 betalings nie verhaal is nie wat inderdaad nie verhaal is nie merk ek instede daarvan op dat my kredietkaart met R400,00 krediteer is met ander woorde ek het met my x4de betaling R800,00 vir my en my vrou betaal wat verhaal is, die ander x3 betalings is nie verhaal van my kredietkaart nie ,maar het hul R400,00 aan my terugbetaal! Ek het dit onder hul aandag gebring en versoek om dit reg te stel.

The cycletour is a joke. I dont understand why the charities must pay the rotatry for their entries and then charge the riders a crazy amount. So now the poor rider is actually supporting 2 charities. there is also no reward for loyal riders. my whole family used to ride argus. between me and my dad we got close too 40 arguses, but each year we must go thru the same slep as all the first timers. for us it is a nice family outing and we will keep doing it as long as we can cycle, but because of the cycletour poor service they have lost 4 loyal riders that supported them for years.

This is just punishing non PPA people! ha ha

Ja and now all the out-of-towners are staying away because they didn't get entries.

I think the city actually wants to get people from all over SA here...

Not a cool system in my opinion.

The cycletour is a joke. I dont understand why the charities must pay the rotatry for their entries and then charge the riders a crazy amount. So now the poor rider is actually supporting 2 charities. there is also no reward for loyal riders. my whole family used to ride argus. between me and my dad we got close too 40 arguses, but each year we must go thru the same slep as all the first timers. for us it is a nice family outing and we will keep doing it as long as we can cycle, but because of the cycletour poor service they have lost 4 loyal riders that supported them for years.

There are a couple of things here.

Are you saying that the cycle tour should only be loyal to those that have done it before ?

Surely if you have done it more than 40 odd times, you should be willing to let someone else try it for a change? a first timer so to speak, let someone else get introduced into the sport of cycling.

There are a couple of things here.

Are you saying that the cycle tour should only be loyal to those that have done it before ?

Surely if you have done it more than 40 odd times, you should be willing to let someone else try it for a change? a first timer so to speak, let someone else get introduced into the sport of cycling.

I think the problem is that there appears to be a disproportion in the entry process to the actual amount of riders pitching up on the day. This in turn seems to suggest the majority of charity riders are not committed cyclists whether they have participated in the event before or not, as they finishing rider totals don't match the limits advertised before. Current limits are around 35K if I'm not mistaken.

As this is probably the highest profile single stage road event in the country it becomes more than unfortunate to have these sought after entries seemingly go to waste...

Finishers:

2013 was 31046

2012 was 29839

2011 was 28692

2010 was 28033

2009 was 25575

2008 was 28192

2007 was 28646

I think the problem is that there appears to be a disproportion in the entry process to the actual amount of riders pitching up on the day. This in turn seems to suggest the majority of charity riders are not committed cyclists whether they have participated in the event before or not, as they finishing rider totals don't match the limits advertised before. Current limits are around 35K if I'm not mistaken.

As this is probably the highest profile single stage road event in the country it becomes more than unfortunate to have these sought after entries seemingly go to waste...

Finishers:

2013 was 31046

2012 was 29839

2011 was 28692

2010 was 28033

2009 was 25575

2008 was 28192

2007 was 28

True, seems as there are a lot of people that look out the window and then not pitch up.

I reckon 25% of the poeple complaining would not do it even if they got an entry. When demand far out weighs supply, a boycott (which some people on facebook are planning) does not work, just enables someone else to get an entry :P

The fact that the entries were sold out within 8 hours is a clear indication that there is an inequality between demand and “supply”.  It calls for a new controlled system to be introduced.  Ek dink hardop ......... a system whereby all first entrants are limited in some way or the other to enter for example for 3 consecutive calendar years only whereafter it is followed by a 3 year sabbatical where they are not allowed to enter etc…….……?  (Take note I am merely giving an example to start a thinking process.)  Alleen nuwe deelnemers word affekteer en gaan diegene wie al jare lank lojaal is teenoor die Argus en bygedrae het tot die sukses daarvan nie vervreem voel nie en wie elke geval met verloop van tyd outomaties uitfasseer word.  Perhaps there is a Mathematician on the Hub who can work out a fair system which will derive at an acceptable balance of for example  50/50 split between new entrants and those who have entered before.  The nature of the current system is in essence based on a first come first serve basis waar vinnige Fanie bevoordeel word by verstek daarvan diegene wie die groter beursies het om deur middel van "charities" 'n inskrywing met 'n vet beurse te koop and is of such that no long term goals can be achieved to attain a healthy and fair balance between new entrants and those who have entered before.  Is there any new system in the pipeline or discussions in that regard?  

There are lots of riders who finish the race after cut-off that, don't finish, didn't bring their timing chips (wasn't always checked at entry) so just looking at official finishers is a bit misleading.

Not sure why you would say charity riders are not committed? If I got my charity entry for nothing yes I agree, if I had to pay a few K's for it I would think those people are even more committed. 

Archived