Scott Spark 910 - Problems

Guest TheEpicOne

Guest TheEpicOne

Hi everyone,

I know there might be threads of the same issue, but I'm not very often on this forum.

I got a Spark 910 about 5 months ago, such a awesome bike! But the last 2 months I had more issues than rides. Firts it was the pivots of rear suspension that needed to be replaced, after first "check up service" the bike starting with creaks and squeeks....very irratating! Took the bike back to the shop where it was purchased, they replaced cables, cleaned headset ect. After a few rides the creaks and squeeks came back...took the bike back and they cleaned and replaced the BB and crank.....after my first major service about a week ago, the creaks and squeeks came back again! Believe me.....now I'm starting to get pissed off!!! Took the bike back for the 4th time and they noticed the CSU (part of front shock) is making these noises! Got the bike back Friday and once again........MORE CREAKS AND SQUEEKS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to get very pissed off as my bike is more in the workshop than on the trails!!!!!!

Does anyone else had the same experience or suggestions???

Cheers

These creaks and squeaks could come from a number of places :

Stem/bar connection

Saddle/seatpost connection

etc etc.

I would suggest trying a different LBS, might cost you a bit but you could try. Maybe another Scott dealer could even help.

Guest TheEpicOne

These creaks and squeaks could come from a number of places :

Stem/bar connection

Saddle/seatpost connection

etc etc.

I would suggest trying a different LBS, might cost you a bit but you could try. Maybe another Scott dealer could even help.

Stem/Handlebar connection tested and cleaned, as well as the seat post and saddle.

Had contact with 2x different Scott dealers

I get these squeaks, but only after about 30km into a race. I found that if I change to the smaller chain ring it goes away. I have since changed BB and converted to a 1x10 and no more squeaks

The best mechanic I take my Scott Spark to is Justin Tuck at The Gear Change in Woodstock.

Both Justin and David George ride Sparks, so you walk in and describe the noise and the guys are able to pin point the source/problem within a few questions. 

I feel your pain, as I just wish I found them earlier too, instead of throwing money at my previoius problems at other LBS's just like you.

Well worth a try, although just remember that Wines 2 Whales is approaching this week and their workshop is busy, so you might need to wait until after the events.

Good luck

I ride a Spark 900RC. No problems in 18 months. 

You could try removing and greasing the chainring bolts..........it sounds like that is the problem if riding in the small ring makes the creaks dissappear.

MTB-BFK, on 27 Oct 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

This problem seem endemic.  Hubbers, who is the best Scott mechanic in Jozi?

Mikes bikes in greenside.... not a scott agent and not an budget solution, but you bike will be fine after a proper service.

And if it's not, let me know.... :)

Exactly the reason why my buddy gave his spark premium to his wife and keeps riding his scale rc. Too many issues with servicing the pivots and a few other things

Have you checked the pedals? Try regreasing the shafts. Had a similar problem before. After replacing bb, headset bearings and testing other saddles/seatposts, found it was the pedals

Guest TheEpicOne

Have you checked the pedals? Try regreasing the shafts. Had a similar problem before. After replacing bb, headset bearings and testing other saddles/seatposts, found it was the pedals

Bike is currently at bike shop, will check when I get the bike back if it might be the pedals.....if the bike is going to make creaks and squeeks again, I'm done with Scott

Bike is currently at bike shop, will check when I get the bike back if it might be the pedals.....if the bike is going to make creaks and squeeks again, I'm done with Scott

Isnt your avatar showing you moering the bike to the ground a bit premature then?

Guest TheEpicOne

Isnt your avatar showing you moering the bike to the ground a bit premature then?

Hahahaha!!!! Nooooo that was my previous bike the Spark 940 alu bike!!

Ive been riding my Scott Spark 910 now for 2 years, no probs! Carbon grease everywhere there need to be grease and service it in good intervals.

Have 4 Scotts in our riding "groupie"  3 Spark 910's and 1 Genius 910.

Creaking was problems until we got a proper torque wrench and torqued ALL the bolts in ALL the suspension linkages to the correct spec. . . . . silence  . .  . .

Might not be the problem in your case . . perhaps worth a try . . Cheap fix.

My 2 Cent.

PS. Look how they do it (to confirm they did it and it takes 5min/bike) or do it yourself (at own risk). Many bikeshops have the attitude of "what do you know". 

Firstly don't go to mikes bikes he will tell you plain and simply you a chop for buying a Scott .once his finished insulting you he will tell you to take it back to the agents his an arrogant twit .

Try tool up cycles in centurion they are the best guys I have ever delt with.

I had a 910 like yours the creaking sound was coming from a hair line crack in the chainstay on the drive side a few centimeters back from the BB.

I broke 3 chain stays in the same place ,eventually i sold the bike .

Archived