Germiston 5150

ADe

Morning all. Was a great event, but jip wasn't the best conditions. Open water swim was something else, tough bike...and that run in the heat, sjoe. But very happy over all, nice people at water points, think it went down well. First Olympic Distance in the bag lol. :clap:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all. Was a great event, but jip wasn't the best conditions. Open water swim was something else, tough bike...and that run in the heat, sjoe. But very happy over all, nice people at water points, think it went down well. First Olympic Distance in the bag lol. :clap:

Well done! At least the next one wont seem as daunting and you will have a good idea on how to pace for it.

Hats off to everyone who finished the race, it was a good challenge.!!

My swim has improved by a good margin, but transition is still terrible :(

Taken the weather conditions into account, I'm thrilled that I managed to improve my overall race time by about 7minutes and finished top 20 in my AG.

Very well organised race, well done Werner Smit.!!

I will be back next year.

WOW!!

This was my 1st ever TRI and I Loved it.

I won't blame the choppy conditions for my poor swim as I know the truth is I suck big time at swimming. As this was my first ever open water swim (Besides surfing and snorkelling more than a decade ago) i drank half the lake. with hindsight i should have started further to the outer side. The first few 100 meters was a battle royal to get enough air while everyone was swimming over me, and all the other funny things that happen in a swim. By the time I got round the 1st left turn marker it looked like the front guys of my way has already finished. My swim was made up of every and any stroke imaginable just to get me to the end in a swim time of 33min 16sec's

Heading out on the bike I really enjoyed the fact of setting your own rhythm and not having to constantly try to match others and holding onto someone else's wheel.

I was stupid enough to think that we where riding into a cross head wind going out , till we made the turn around and realised we were now going into a cross head wind.  :eek:  I got to the 30km mark in just under and hour (For the cycle leg alone) and ended up with a time of 1H 21Min 57Sec for the cycle. Those last 10km killed me, but I knowingly backed off the pace a little as the run leg was coming up.

The run was very enjoyable. Although hot I didn't mind this to much as I just grabbed water sachets and poured it over my head as required. I was feeling bloated and nauseous from all the dam water but pushed through. I was luckily able to stick to my plan and leave everything I had left on the final 2kms of the run which resulted in a negative split of over a min and finish the run in my best 10km time of this year (9.7km according to my garmin so can't count it as a 10k PB) 54min 53sec.

This gave me a total time for my first 5150 of 2H55M57Sec's.

Unfortunately to my dismay, I didn't receive a meal voucher so was left starving till I got home. I must admit though when at registration the young girl did ask me to check if everything was in there, my exact words to her was, "This is my first time, so i wouldn't know if something was missing"  so grabbed my stuff and left.

Was quite surprised to see that I had already received a text with my official time while still waiting for Bike check out to open.

So I spent the hour watch the runners and man was it humbling to see some of the people. especially Stan Andrews, the South African whom represents SA for triathlon but only has one leg.

WOW!!

I won't blame the choppy conditions for my poor swim as I know the truth is I suck big time at swimming. As this was my first ever open water swim (Besides surfing and snorkelling more than a decade ago) i drank half the lake. with hindsight i should have started further to the outer side. The first few 100 meters was a battle royal to get enough air while everyone was swimming over me, and all the other funny things that happen in a swim. By the time I got round the 1st left turn marker it looked like the front guys of my way has already finished. My swim was made up of every and any stroke imaginable just to get me to the end in a swim time of 33min 16sec's

Heading out on the bike I really enjoyed the fact of setting your own rhythm and not having to constantly try to match others and holding onto someone else's wheel.

I was stupid enough to think that we where riding into a cross head wind going out , till we made the turn around and realised we were now going into a cross head wind.  :eek:  I got to the 30km mark in just under and hour (For the cycle leg alone) and ended up with a time of 1H 21Min 57Sec for the cycle. Those last 10km killed me, but I knowingly backed off the pace a little as the run leg was coming up.

The run was very enjoyable. Although hot I didn't mind this to much as I just grabbed water sachets and poured it over my head as required. I was feeling bloated and nauseous from all the dam water but pushed through. I was luckily able to stick to my plan and leave everything I had left on the final 2kms of the run which resulted in a negative split of over a min and finish the run in my best 10km time of this year (9.7km according to my garmin so can't count it as a 10k PB) 54min 53sec.

Unfortunately to my dismay, I didn't receive a meal voucher so was left starving till I got home. I must admit though when at registration the young girl did ask me to check if everything was in there, my exact words to her was, "This is my first time, so i wouldn't know if something was missing"  so grabbed my stuff and left.

Was quite surprised to see that I had already received a text with my official time while still waiting for Bike check out to open.

So I spent the hour watch the runners and man was it humbling to see some of the people. especially Stan Andrews, the South African whom represents SA for triathlon but only has one leg.

Well done, excellent run too.

I really really enjoyed that burger at the end , just had to say it :)

WOW!!

So now you hooked and well done!!  Next an Ultra, maybe Durban once they advise the date!!

So now you hooked and well done!!  Next an Ultra, maybe Durban once they advise the date!!

Midlands end of November just saying :devil: .....if you have a sub 3 5150 in harsh conditions no reason why you cannot complete an ultra.

It was tough out there, the ladies really had the worst of the conditions with the least time to finish in, the organisers really need to find a different way to handle cut-off. 

Was my watch confused or was the run longer than 10kms?

So sun and wind burnt today!

2:55 .... 10 minutes slower than last year.

Was aiming for 2:39:59 but when I got to germiston lake on sunday I realized that would be unlikely...the wind was a menace no matter which way one rode never really favouring us.  

Time was 10 minutes slower but my position was around 40 slots better than 2014 so all in all a tougher event. Also had a great swim in what was probably the worse open water swim I have ever done being so choppy.

Well done.  I did 2-59.  The wind and heat can make the machine not go so fast.  Swim was good  :clap:

Midlands end of November just saying :devil: .....if you have a sub 3 5150 in harsh conditions no reason why you cannot complete an ultra.

Do you know if the Midlands Ultra is normally wet suit legal?

Do you know if the Midlands Ultra is normally wet suit legal?

Every time I have entered the midlands ultra it has been. Water temps are normally around 19-21 degrees even when outside temp is 30 degrees.. Very unlikely that it wont be on the day.

WOW!!

Very nicely done!

You are in trouble now though, the tri bug bites really hard.

The swims get much easier, after a while you dont even notice when you get kicked or have someone trying to swim over you.

Good race, well organised. Volunteers were great.

Forgot how hard triathlons are (been a year between my last 2).

Still not sure why we started so late. Wouldnt have made a difference for the wind as that was blowing since early but would have been nice to finish a little earlier.

Lots of work to be done before Midlands

I hear you but my running has not been what it should be for an Ultra... next on the cards is EL, which gives me enough time get the running back to where it should be :)

This was my first triathlon in a year. Been riding tandems socially with my wife so not that much cycling. Started swimming and running two and a half weeks before the race.

The swim was challenging on little training but managed a respectable 32m30s. Rode with a disk, what a wild ride but lots of fun. Got quite tough on the way back but was very pleased with 1h12m. The run was but a slow jog. Ended on 2h54 which I was quite happy with all thing considered.

Race was very well organised. Would have liked some sponges given the heat wave.

I was seriously miffed with Paul Wolff. One minute before our old farts start he zooms up on the jet ski and shouts that "anyone that is not a proficient swimmer should not start" because the conditions are quite choppy. Swimming is such a confidence game for those who are not that experienced, he immediately undermined a lot of peoples confidence. Everyone still started but at least 25 people from our wave were pulled out of the water. Some may well have needed rescuing but I would not be surprised that some also probably panicked because of this stupid warning.

It would have been far better to say something on the lines of "it is choppy out there, take your time and pace yourself". Genuine advice to boost confidence rather than scaremongering.

Archived