Another creaking BB thread

fanievb

XT M780 Crank (double)

Look Track-S pedals

SM BB-71 

The S-Tracks can creak ,try flat pedals and ride under pressure up and down, that will tell you.

If the BB is in a cup, knock the cup out, clean the oxidation between the cup and the frame interface, that also sings like mad.

Lastly, if your chain and cassette get worn, they can also sing like mad.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could also be your seat post. I would suggest stripping the bike and rebuilding and using Copper Slip on all the bolts, screws and and mating surface. Ie: Seat post, Stem, BB, etc..

Aluminium is a bugger when it gets wet, or if 2 mating surfaces are dry.

The material "frets", basically trying to bond itself together.

The noise resonates through the frame and sometimes is hard to pin point the problem area. 

I live along the coast and all my bikes I build up using copper slip, never had an issue.

Edited by quintonb

When last did you replace your BB?

I know you said you cleaned-n-greased it, but I often found that this was not enough. Rocky terrain + abbusive riding * (dust + sand) = BB's get replaced more regularly than tyres!

I know you said you cleaned-n-greased it, but I often found that this was not enough. Rocky terrain + abbusive riding * (dust + sand) = BB's get replaced more regularly than tyres!

Yip, that is where I was heading, thus I asked if the bearings sit in a cup.

Also if the bearings feel smooth, a worn bearing can make mega noise .

Thanks for the tips everyone

The S-Tracks can creak ,try flat pedals and ride under pressure up and down, that will tell you.

If the BB is in a cup, knock the cup out, clean the oxidation between the cup and the frame interface, that also sings like mad.

Lastly, if your chain and cassette get worn, they can also sing like mad.

will try the pedals, I had issues with quartz at one stage but clean and grease sorted it out.

the bearing itself is in a plastic cup, but you (read I) can't remove the bearing from the cup without destroying it. I have a spare which I'll pop in after cleaning the alu casing in the frame properly. Not sure if I should try the locktite or use coppa slip or light grease coating (which I've always done). 

Chain is ok (measured using ruler)

For what its worth the current setup is not even 6 months old (about 1500km)  

Could also be your seat post. I would suggest stripping the bike and rebuilding and using Copper Slip on all the bolts, screws and and mating surface. Ie: Seat post, Stem, BB, etc..

Aluminium is a bugger when it gets wet, or if 2 mating surfaces are dry.

The material "frets", basically trying to bond itself together.

The noise resonates through the frame and sometimes is hard to pin point the problem area. 

I live along the coast and all my bikes I build up using copper slip, never had an issue.

Cool, I'm also on the coast, so I'm definitely going to consider the coppa slip rebuild. Seat post is carbon and I'm 99% sure its not the seatpost as the creaking is worst when I'm standing.

never replaced the BB, bike is not even 6 months old. But as I said I think this may be the issue, I just hoped there may be another solution.

I had problem like this. There was a problem with the hub. I found if I tightened the rear skewer very tight the creak got much better. Eventually I had to replace the hub as the axle broke in half. So there was definitely something wrong there. I found with the axle / hub problem, if I pushed down on the bike while holding the bike still, I could hear where the noise was coming from.

Riding the bike, it was impossible to tell. It did sound like BB, even though it was the hub.

I had problem like this. There was a problem with the hub. I found if I tightened the rear skewer very tight the creak got much better. Eventually I had to replace the hub as the axle broke in half. So there was definitely something wrong there. I found with the axle / hub problem, if I pushed down on the bike while holding the bike still, I could hear where the noise was coming from.

Riding the bike, it was impossible to tell. It did sound like BB, even though it was the hub.

Seems like this is my problem. Started with the pedals, creak still there.

Tightened the skewer as tight as possible and the noise is much better. Let's hope this is covered under the warranty

Interestingly the double Xt crank comes up whenever there is a crank Or Bb noise discussion.I also have a creaking noise on both my bikes ,and both have double Xt cranks

they have been known to creak, just to add to the list...

+1 on this one. Check the fox website for the recalls. Some forks have been recalled for CSU replacement due to an issue with the steerertube and crown bonding, or something like that. Had my CSU replaced by Fox. Just something to check. It may or may not be.

Fox 32 Float CTD Evolution 29", 100mm Travel, QR15, Tapered Steerer

Right there is most likely your problem.

I have had to warranty no less than 5 Fox Forks in the last month. It is normally the stanchion interface with the crown or steerer. (It normally sounds like a high pitched click)

To test this take your front  wheel out and then holding both lower fork legs try to push them together, and listen for the creak. 

Otherwise try your derailleur hanger where it meets the frame.

If still no luck, try describe the "creak" ie: pitch, etc.

I do know your pain as I have been hunting for my creak for about 3 months and it kept getting worse.

Tried EVERYTHING apart from a new frame, and trust me when I say changing Rotor cranks and BB's on a Cervelo is not the easiest or fastest job.

Well I eventually found this on the inside of the crank arm.

post-40232-0-68017100-1414854201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spoke101

Right there is most likely your problem.

I have had to warranty no less than 5 Fox Forks in the last month. It is normally the stanchion interface with the crown or steerer. (It normally sounds like a high pitched click)

To test this take your front  wheel out and then holding both lower fork legs try to push them together, and listen for the creak. 

Otherwise try your derailleur hanger where it meets the frame.

If still no luck, try describe the "creak" ie: pitch, etc.

I do know your pain as I have been hunting for my creak for about 3 months and it kept getting worse.

Tried EVERYTHING apart from a new frame, and trust me when I say changing Rotor cranks and BB's on a Cervelo is not the easiest or fastest job.

Well I eventually found this on the inside of the crank arm.

attachicon.gif20141028_164841 - Copy.jpg

SAP needs detectives like you !