[Event] 2015 Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #7 Dullstroom

WesselvdWalt

Same here, those Spez bottle cages work like magic. Been 2 years now without losing a bottle.

Sorry about the Bryton though...

Gives me an excuse to buy the Fenix 3?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a brilliant excuse. So not sorry then, haha!

Might have given it a nudge of the bars????

Sounds like a brilliant excuse. So not sorry then, haha!

Might have given it a nudge off the bars????

Over all I had a great weekend at Dullstroom, but I won't be going back next year. I do not have a single thing to complain about, route was marked properly, wp were great and stocked. Started of at 7 Saturday for the ultra, weather was bad, was really cold and misty and that is the way it stayed for more than half the race, so scenery was not existing. I found the route to be really tuff, the last bit of KOM climb was brutal, but the big climb with the cement after the ultra/marathon split was even worse. Mentally it was hard turning around to go and do another 45 odd km when you can just turn left and be done in 2km. Another thing that I hated was the out and back on the gravel the last 30km of the ultra. The 40k on Sunday started of great, weather was perfect, and the in 10min time the mist came again and spoilt everything. Was a hard 40k, again turning away from the finish to do another 4 odd k's when you can just follow the 20k route to the finish. I won't be going back simply because I did not enjoy the riding, the whole weekend I did in total maybe 15km of single track, the rest was just district or farm roads or grass. Maybe it will be worth while when you can see the views from all the mountains that you climb, but with the mist you could not see anything. O and the guy that did the ultra on his fatbike, if you are reading this, you are a freak, well done!

Over all I had a great weekend at Dullstroom, but I won't be going back next year. I do not have a single thing to complain about, route was marked properly, wp were great and stocked. Started of at 7 Saturday for the ultra, weather was bad, was really cold and misty and that is the way it stayed for more than half the race, so scenery was not existing. I found the route to be really tuff, the last bit of KOM climb was brutal, but the big climb with the cement after the ultra/marathon split was even worse. Mentally it was hard turning around to go and do another 45 odd km when you can just turn left and be done in 2km. Another thing that I hated was the out and back on the gravel the last 30km of the ultra. The 40k on Sunday started of great, weather was perfect, and the in 10min time the mist came again and spoilt everything. Was a hard 40k, again turning away from the finish to do another 4 odd k's when you can just follow the 20k route to the finish. I won't be going back simply because I did not enjoy the riding, the whole weekend I did in total maybe 15km of single track, the rest was just district or farm roads or grass. Maybe it will be worth while when you can see the views from all the mountains that you climb, but with the mist you could not see anything. O and the guy that did the ultra on his fatbike, if you are reading this, you are a freak, well done!

A race to remember......not as in C&C's case. Glock, all respect on doing the ultra and 40......the shorter race is sometimes tougher than the first day's race.......fatigue on fatigue and BOOOOOM there you blow a gasket. Legs needed a few kms on day two just to warm up.......and then it was back to climbing and grinding.

In terms of weather.......I enjoyed the cool weather and mist. Last year was a bit of a scorcher, and you don't want to be caught on those climbs with the temp in the high twenties (near thirties). The mist was however a bit of a problem on some of the rocky, slippery, muddy, descents......had a few close calls. Cement path was again a hoot of note......SPEEEEEED!!!!

But those single tracks through the grass fields........on a HT it is not fun......especially if your legs are so buggered that you can't do the standing-pedal thing. Regte ou gatstampertjie en vasbytertjie........and some of those cows at the end.......one actually took a charge towards a cyclist.

That last section's obstacles before the end also caught a few people off-guard........but at least better than that twisty and winding plantation section of last year.

Next year again..........hopefully C&C will even have more enjoyment and less Mother Theresa happenings. 

Edited by BarHugger

Having had a bit of time to think about it, I must agree, there weren't enough single track sections on the route. However, starting in D-batch with a bit of pace that meant there were plenty of opportunities to safely pass people, which does help.

The one part I was bummed about was the plantation single track, I was stuck behind some slower guys and couldn't get any speed through there, it looked like mega fun. Would love to have a chance to ride it on another occasion.

Also, the mist did spoil the views, but the cooler temperatures were welcome. Unfortunately that also made wearing glasses impossible so I was teary eyed for most of the fast downhill bits, trying to rapidly process rocks and holes as they became visible.

I enjoyed the section next to the railroad though, man that was lekker fast, and smoooooth! After some of the grassy knoll sections my rear-end wasn't too happy, so that was very welcome.

Amper my gat gesien on the last section with the pallet s-curve thing, went in a bit too ambitiously.

Hah, overall, awesome day. I feel pretty good today for it only being my second race.

I thought it was a great race (both days).  The marathon was proper hard: lots of climbing at altitude, slippery, wet and the poor viz made it even harder (and surreal/freaky in places).

There wasn't much singletrack but that did mean that the race flowed beautifully with no hold-ups.

Well organized race but they should warn riders about the weather in Dullies...

Will be back next year.

When will the results be out?

I thought it was a great race (both days).  The marathon was proper hard: lots of climbing at altitude, slippery, wet and the poor viz made it even harder (and surreal/freaky in places).

There wasn't much singletrack but that did mean that the race flowed beautifully with no hold-ups.

Well organized race but they should warn riders about the weather in Dullies...

Will be back next year.

When will the results be out?

Already out........livetime.co.za

A race to remember......not as in C&C's case. Glock, all respect on doing the ultra and 40......the shorter race is sometimes tougher than the first day's race.......fatigue on fatigue and BOOOOOM there you blow a gasket. Legs needed a few kms on day two just to warm up.......and then it was back to climbing and grinding.

In terms of weather.......I enjoyed the cool weather and mist. Last year was a bit of a scorcher, and you don't want to be caught on those climbs with the temp in the high twenties (near thirties). The mist was however a bit of a problem on some of the rocky, slippery, muddy, descents......had a few close calls. Cement path was again a hoot of note......SPEEEEEED!!!!

But those single tracks through the grass fields........on a HT it is not fun......especially if your legs are so buggered that you can't do the standing-pedal thing. Regte ou gatstampertjie en vasbytertjie........and some of those cows at the end.......one actually took a charge towards a cyclist.

That last section's obstacles before the end also caught a few people off-guard........but at least better than that twisty and winding plantation section of last year.

Next year again..........hopefully C&C will even have more enjoyment and less Mother Theresa happenings.

Thank you. Was it you on the fatbike? You make a few good points, I think I just expected more scenery (was looking forward to it) and was disappointed with the mist covering everything, but I will definitely remember the race, the mist did add a special/one of a kind experience!

Did the 40 yesterday and loved every minute of it.  I am no race snake but the experience of riding in the mist, the cold and wet and making it to the finish was proper tough but totally rewarding.  Big thanks for the marshals and officials braving out there in the cold.  And to all out there on the course, fellowship in adversity was amazing.  One I will remember for some time to come.