Front tyre replacement

silent_bob

Hi hubbers,

The front tyre on my 26" MTB needs to be replaced and I need some advise regarding what you guys recommend to run. I had a 2.2 Geax Saguaro on which I think is a great and very durable tyre but I was considering getting something with a bit more "bite". I usually ride around Stellenbosch and Somerset West and sometimes the terrain gets quire rocky and technical - thus the reason to consider a tyre to take this on with a bit more confidence (ps. I don't run high tyre pressures at all). What tyre would you recommend for this type of riding? Continental X King seems to be a good candidate - or should I just stick with what I know and get another Geax?

Thanks!    

Interesting that you feel the Saguaro doesnt have enough bite. You do know that you can run it either for Speed or for more grip depending which direction you run it?

Noooooo

why? I just rode W2W with x king front and back .PLENTY Grip .Best combo I have used is Saguaro rear X king front .I have also used nobby nic ,saguaro and ardent in front .All 29 er

This is a very subjective question.

The replies will be what each person's personal preferences will be. My advice is to do some research and make a shortlist of tyres that suit your needs and then go check them out in the flesh (or is that "in the rubber"?).

My preference: Spez Ground Control 29x2.3. Plenty grip, decent sidewalls, lasts long and doesn't break the bank. 

Also have a look at WTB's range. 

Never buying a Nobby Nic again...it's ***...

Geax DHEA 2.3 .... Wearing waaaaaay better than my Nobby and the grip is incredible!

I changed from Mountain king to Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.25 and found them to be awsome. I like the schwalbe range personally. I guess it comes down to budget also as tires are ridicoulsy expensive.

Interesting that you feel the Saguaro doesnt have enough bite. You do know that you can run it either for Speed or for more grip depending which direction you run it?

To be honest I only heard about this recently  :blush: 

I still have an old Saguaro at home - I think I'll fit the "wrong way around" and give it a test run to see how it goes before making a decision. Have you used it in this setup?

Never buying a Nobby Nic again...it's ***...

Geax DHEA 2.3 .... Wearing waaaaaay better than my Nobby and the grip is incredible!

Looks like a great tyre that! Now to try and find them ... jeez people laugh at me in the shops when I ask them what 26" tyres they stock 

To be honest I only heard about this recently  :blush: 

I still have an old Saguaro at home - I think I'll fit the "wrong way around" and give it a test run to see how it goes before making a decision. Have you used it in this setup?

Yes I have. Personally I will never run the Saguaro in the "Speed" direction. I find it washes out in corners a bit in that setup. Running it for extra grip made a huge difference for me. 

a I am struggling my arse off...Cyclefunatic in Durbanville currently has a bin full of 50% off tyres...They have 26's but think only the the Sugaro and some Michelin,.

They still have one Spez 26 x 2.3 tyre...For R480(?) which is a good deal. I ran a Spaz rear 2.3 for long time without issues...But for front tyre the DHEA is awesome :D

This is a very subjective question.

The replies will be what each person's personal preferences will be. My advice is to do some research and make a shortlist of tyres that suit your needs and then go check them out in the flesh (or is that "in the rubber"?).

My preference: Spez Ground Control 29x2.3. Plenty grip, decent sidewalls, lasts long and doesn't break the bank. 

Also have a look at WTB's range. 

Thanks for the reply and you are right - it is subjective and during the research I done so far I found exactly that. I was hoping with the help of some hubbers and people with local knowledge I can narrow the selection down. At least the short list is getting shorter!

Yes I have. Personally I will never run the Saguaro in the "Speed" direction. I find it washes out in corners a bit in that setup. Running it for extra grip made a huge difference for me. 

Cool - going to give it a try!

Archived