Long distance touring bike

_freak_

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, I got no recent stuff to post up here, so allow me to delve into the archives.

After varsity I went and did a year in canada, ski season in whistler, summer in vancouver. Not getting real work meant i did stuff like working on hospitality boats and riding as a pedicab operator. Which meant i often had 3/4 days to chill and explore - but like sunday-wed. So i went and raided the consignment stores (exactly like replay sports in claremont for those who know) for all the cheapest bike touring stuff. And laced it all to a $50 Diamond Back Topanga (this was 2004, it was already retro then).

I did lost of small trips, having ferries (and buses that have bike racks upfront) just makes the possibilities endless. I could definitely move to Vancouver island(or even one of the smaller hippy ones).

I had a wedding to get to in toronto, and decided to take three weeks off before it. What's the furthest I can go by bike? go north. try get to the arctic circle! There's this thing called the Alaskan marine highway (essentially public ferries, but does all the cruise liner routes). That and a couple of BC ferries trips got me pretty darn close. (as well as volunteering on a bathtub race, but that's another story). I had found a website (web 1.0 stuff) that showed my route was all possible - have just found it again thanks to google - http://www.mvermeulen.com/klondike/

Anyway - enough kakpraat, let the pics do the talking

post-1830-0-99842700-1452277664_thumb.jpg

that's my rig, about to leave vancouver from our dive/digs. Loud hawaain short is very important, whilst there are very few vehicles on these roads - a large proportion of them are pensioners driving massive RVs (which really are frikken huge, and anyone with a bog standard licence can hire them).

post-1830-0-66738700-1452277722_thumb.jpg

sometimes I stayed in real campsites

post-1830-0-81634700-1452277767_thumb.jpg

sometimes it was rough camping (bear country comes with its own issues)

post-1830-0-19461100-1452277841_thumb.jpg

the roads were loooong, the views worth it

post-1830-0-17252100-1452277890_thumb.jpg

no issues finishing the big roadhouse burgers

post-1830-0-58228500-1452277970_thumb.jpg

that's sort of the end - whitehorse, yukon territory

hmmmm, now I feel like i need to go ride somewhere exciting.

• 4 weeks later...

post-1025-1454961054,1521.jpg

In this area

The arrow is a railway siding called Ascent.

It's also the name of the model of Ritchey I ride

Thought it appropriate to visit

post-1025-1455200752,6299.jpg

Should be able to get a blanket and a bottle of wine in the saddle bag

Plastic glasses and cutlery in the frame bag

And an assortment of cheese, pickles and cold meats in the handle bar bag.

#picniconwheels

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1455200747.950389.jpg

Should be able to get a blanket and a bottle of wine in the saddle bag

Plastic glasses and cutlery in the frame bag

And an assortment of cheese, pickles and cold meats in the handle bar bag.

#picniconwheels

Make it from Pmb to Wellington in June this year and that blanket and that blanket and bottle of wine will be waiting for you......

• 2 weeks later...

Busy setting up my bike for a 5 day trip. Trying to figure out what goes where and testing the setup. No backpack, everything on the bike. Heavier items in the frame bag, lighter items on top.

Have to take everything with me, its the first time bikepacking with a full load. few shops around here,  and will carry all food and about 5 litres of water, will be able to top up in most villages. 

Any setup suggestions are welcome

post-56189-0-22875300-1456048669_thumb.jpg

post-56189-0-31463000-1456048751_thumb.jpg

Busy setting up my bike for a 5 day trip. Trying to figure out what goes where and testing the setup. No backpack, everything on the bike. Heavier items in the frame bag, lighter items on top.

Have to take everything with me, its the first time bikepacking with a full load. few shops around here, and will carry all food and about 5 litres of water, will be able to top up in most villages.

sheeyaaas, that looks lank top heavy for the amount of stuff you got. How does it handle?

How about bottle holders low down on the fork?

Where are you going what sort of terrain?

Otherwise kiff kief lekker!

Have to take everything with me, its the first time bikepacking with a full load. few shops around here, and will carry all food and about 5 litres of water, will be able to top up in most villages.

More gears would be my suggestion.

Archived