Long distance touring bike

_freak_

You are right. It wirks well on my Swiss Cross but I only got it on the Niner the yesterday when I got down to the Karoo. I'll make another plan as I am not sure I want to use small bottles.

I think that for the amount of storage the frame bag has, it is not worth the hassle. But so we learn.

Ah understood.

An alternative many use is to fit a bladder in the frame bag - usually with a full frame bag though.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I got schooled. 1634 m of ascent in the first 64 km of my ride. Could not get my legs moving and by the time I did, the sun was out and the Swartberg pass lay ahead. Hopefully going back in the morning will be better as I am planning to be on the road by 4h30.

post-50-0-30367600-1450466093_thumb.jpeg

Taking no prisoners I see. You must be racing. Why for in such a beautiful part of the country.

magnus@cyctecdistribution.com

Not replying to emails, will have to try import directly 

That bar set up looks interesting?

Agreed Sepia

I have a few things still consider:

The angles on this bike (esp the head angle) are very relaxed.

The fork rake is pronounced compared to modern bikes.

The wheel base is thus long and the top tube short relative to modern bike geometries

Also the bars are a long reach, deep drop bar. A bit old school.

I'm guessing I will drop the saddle at least an inch.

Also I suspect my attitude while touring will be less aggressive than when racing so it will be more comfortable to have the tops of the bars around the same height as the saddle.

Should I need to get more aero (into a headwind with daylight fading fast trying to make my rendezvous for the evening) the deeper drop will allow for this.

But all of these variables will only be tested once on the road (or off road) so to speak

Also I suspect my attitude while touring will be less aggressive than when racing so it will be more comfortable to have the tops of the bars around the same height as the saddle.

Should I need to get more aero (into a headwind with daylight fading fast trying to make my rendezvous for the evening) the deeper drop will allow for this.

But all of these variables will only be tested once on the road (or off road) so to speak

My thoughts too. Thinking of fitting tri bars or a Midge for the same reason. Will also give my hands different positions as I seem to want more grip space when riding?

Keep us informed as to your preferred set up?

Hello, from a longtime hub lurker.

Seeing as everyone is sharing their bikes and kit for bkepacking trips, I thought I would share what worked for me on my holiday, a solo 2300 km, unsupported trip across SA, from Pietermaritzburg, across Lesotho (Sani, Mollumong, Thaba-Tseka, Mantsonyane, Semonkong, Ketane, Bethel, Telle Bridge), the Karoo (Barkley East, Dordrecht, Tarkastad, Cradock, Jansenville, Willowmore, Prince Albert, Gamkaskloof) the Klein Karoo (Calitzdorp, Oudtshoorn) and the Garden Route (George, Wilderness, Knysna, Harkerville). As much riding as possible was done on dirt roads or tracks.

My packing arrangements were very simple, I used a 22L backpack
(Osprey Talon), with drybags jury rigged as saddle and bar bags. Kit included a sleeping bag, bivvy bag, stove, gas, food, pot, camera and other misc stuff.

The bike I used is a 26" KHS with rigid Surly Troll fork, 1x10 XT drivetrain. Bulletproof setup, although not the most comfortable. Only 2 bike issues were a sidewall puncture in Lesotho (successfully patched and bombed (Thanks Bruce :-)) and a leaking valve.

Total riding time was 23 days, with 3 rest days. 

My longest day was 170 km, the shortest very short.

Accommodation that I used ranged from sleeping near the road (8 times) to using backpackers and campsites when they were convenient.

Overall it was an incredible experience. Some of it is pure physical suffering, the sort of stuff one only enjoys in retrospect. On the other hand, some of it is just plain fun, like topping out on a high pass or cruising along a donkey path in Lesotho. 

post-52087-0-35691800-1451479435_thumb.jpg

Hello, from a longtime hub lurker.

Seeing as everyone is sharing their bikes and kit for bkepacking trips, I thought I would share what worked for me on my holiday, a solo 2300 km, unsupported trip across SA, from Pietermaritzburg, across Lesotho (Sani, Mollumong, Thaba-Tseka, Mantsonyane, Semonkong, Ketane, Bethel, Telle Bridge), the Karoo (Barkley East, Dordrecht, Tarkastad, Cradock, Jansenville, Willowmore, Prince Albert, Gamkaskloof) the Klein Karoo (Calitzdorp, Oudtshoorn) and the Garden Route (George, Wilderness, Knysna, Harkerville). As much riding as possible was done on dirt roads or tracks.

My packing arrangements were very simple, I used a 22L backpack

(Osprey Talon), with drybags jury rigged as saddle and bar bags. Kit included a sleeping bag, bivvy bag, stove, gas, food, pot, camera and other misc stuff.

The bike I used is a 26" KHS with rigid Surly Troll fork, 1x10 XT drivetrain. Bulletproof setup, although not the most comfortable. Only 2 bike issues were a sidewall puncture in Lesotho (successfully patched and bombed (Thanks Bruce :-)) and a leaking valve.

Total riding time was 23 days, with 3 rest days. 

My longest day was 170 km, the shortest very short.

Accommodation that I used ranged from sleeping near the road (8 times) to using backpackers and campsites when they were convenient.

Overall it was an incredible experience. Some of it is pure physical suffering, the sort of stuff one only enjoys in retrospect. On the other hand, some of it is just plain fun, like topping out on a high pass or cruising along a donkey path in Lesotho. 

Awesome trip! 

How did you find cycling with the backpack? and anything that you would of changed with your setup?

Awesome trip! 

How did you find cycling with the backpack? and anything that you would of changed with your setup?

Cycling with a backpack was not the evil that its made out to be, so long as it is relatively light (Above 7kg is not cool).

Typically my bag would have my sleeping bag (550g) alu pot, light first aid kit, toolkit and other stuff that need to be accessed easily, as well as up to 3L water on a long day. So it was not such a light bag, and I did not have any major comfort issues. This is perhaps due to my very upright setup, as well as using a proper adjustable bag with a decent waistbelt.

One change that I would make is to go 2x10. 1x10 in Lesotho without an expander ring was a dumb idea.

If I did it again, I would maybe build up a 29" for smoother fully rigid riding, but 26" is what I had, so I ran with the 26" size.

Aside from the lacking gears, I wouldn't have changed anything with the setup, it worked the entire way without a hitch.

Ended an exploratory ride on the Ritchey BAB Ascent of 100km at the Cockpit Brewhouse in Cullinan

36 degrees. 6 hours. A Well deserved IPA.

I will not be riding home today

Archived