Workstands

Raggy

I enjoy tinkering in the garage and want to service my bike myself.

Now the range of stands out there seems to vary.

There seems to be a massive difference in price. From R900 for a torkcraft through to R2.5k for parktool.

Are you paying for a name? Or is there value there I dont see?

I will only be wrenching for myself and figure spending a fortune on a fancy workstand will be a bit wasteful.

So what do you have in your garage and anything i really should be looking out for? Brands, special features etc.

Also anyone attempted to make their own?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was given one of the below.  Its not bad, but also not great.  My bike weighs in at about 13kg, so if I try and clamp it on the seat post, then the whole top arm starts to rotate and the front wheel starts dropping.  So you need to clamp it on the balancing point of the bike.

Other than the strength, it is pretty versatile.

http://www.findatool.co.za/Vermont/Images/TC%20BS001.jpg

I have the torkcraft one, it serves my purpose, nothing fancy though.

I think the big difference lies in the ease of use of the adjusters and clamping mechanisms that they use...

and of course you pay a bit extra for the big names too ;)

Thanks for the response.

Got a Momsen AL126 and think it isnt the lightest bike around either. 

Last thing i want is to save R200 and the thing is a fight everytime you want to use it

Like you say....massive chois out there.

Torkcraft at Solomons cycles for R650 I saw.  Not bad price.

R650 is pretty cheap. Even leaves a few Randelas to buy something I "need"

They dont look to complex so I figure you could easily build something for R200

Those Tork craft stands works well. Like Raydek said, clamping on the seatpost can be tricky, but you just need to set it properly and then it will work fine. But he front wheel will drop. Its definitely not as sturdy as the Parktool stands. Still, work for what I need it for.

You'll fight with that tork one if you've ever used anything better, but it's head and shoulders above turning your bike upside down on the kitchen floor.

If you can justify the Park one to yourself, your wife or whoever you need to, do it.

Something which I did before I had the stand, bolted two hose clamps to my garage wall, then used these to attach my car's bike rack to the wall and voila... service stand, worked pretty well, but was a lus moving the stand from the car to the wall and back.

R650 is pretty cheap. Even leaves a few Randelas to buy something I "need"

They dont look to complex so I figure you could easily build something for R200

Trust me, as an ex garage floor mechanic - This is something you need!!!

You'll fight with that tork one if you've ever used anything better, but it's head and shoulders above turning your bike upside down on the kitchen floor.

If you can justify the Park one to yourself, your wife or whoever you need to, do it.

I'm glad I only have experience with the torkcraft one then :unsure: , it is not the best, but makes working on your bike an absolute pleasure!

I got the Torkcraft one as well. R650 as mentioned, they had it marked down to R500 when I went past Solomons a few weeks back hence the purchase.

For basic tinkering and washing and stuff it's cool. I wouldn't really rely on it for much more to be honest. Plastic clip that bends when I clamp the bike, wobbles around a bit.

As a not-to-serious solution it works, but having briefly tried out some of the bigger parktool ones it is a bit cheapy...

Some of those instructables look promising though...

I bought a cheap one years ago . It worked but was wobbly and when a part broke could not find a replacement . Bought the Park tool for 2.5 . It will outlast me and my sons . You decide .

i have the Torkcraft and as mentioned previously, you can't clamp the bike on the seatpost. This means clamping on the top bar close to the balance point, which is fine for most things except setting up the front derailleur because now you've clamped the inner cable tight...

I am saving up for a proper Park Tools one, not sure which yet

I bought a cheap one years ago . It worked but was wobbly and when a part broke could not find a replacement . Bought the Park tool for 2.5 . It will outlast me and my sons . You decide .

Like you say it will outlast your whole family. The cheaper one might not last long and in a few years you might have ended up spending over 2.5k.

Archived