Initial gear set up

Jacques@ACT

I am having problems setting the rear derailleur for a new bike. When changing up or down, it would skip one gear, ie, one click would change from 9 to 7 for example.

How or where do I need to adjust for the gears not to skip a gear? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am having problems setting the rear derailleur for a new bike. When changing up or down, it would skip one gear, ie, one click would change from 9 to 7 for example.

How or where do I need to adjust for the gears not to skip a gear? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Start by checking your limit settings. Your limit screws (H and L) will set this. This only helps with the upper and lower extremes.

Anything in between can be fine tuned with the barrel adjusters. 

Alternatively, the overall tension of the inner cable may need to be adjusted.

Start by checking your limit settings. Your limit screws (H and L) will set this. This only helps with the upper and lower extremes.

Anything in between can be fine tuned with the barrel adjusters.

Alternatively, the overall tension of the inner cable may need to be adjusted.

Thanks, the H and L is set correctly. Would too much tension on the cable cause a double shift?

Thanks, the H and L is set correctly. Would too much tension on the cable cause a double shift?

It can. Too tight may jump, too slack may not shift. 

Guest DieBees

Youtube.. Its very easy! Look at more than one clip to get some alternative advise and perspective.

I had a similar problem when I fitted a new dérailleur. The problem was a kink in the gear cable. Every now and then when it went through the cable housing, it stuck a bit and caused the gears to get "stuck" or jump a bit. Replaced the cable and problem disappeared. Otherwise you might have a broken shifter.

Guest DieBees

I had a similar problem when I fitted a new dérailleur. The problem was a kink in the gear cable. Every now and then when it went through the cable housing, it stuck a bit and caused the gears to get "stuck" or jump a bit. Replaced the cable and problem disappeared. Otherwise you might have a broken shifter.

Ja this is true! Also spray some lube in your canle inners. ( i put in WD40) I found this also worked for me.

Mainly up (9/10 times), but sometimes down as well.

Should be your bottom limit screw.

Drop into your smallest cog and release your cable, unscrew your bottom limit screw (probably the top screw) until it is not touching and then check that your jockey wheel is outside the line of your cassette cog. Thighten your limit screw until your jockey wheel is in line with your small cog. Screw your micro adjuster all the way in and then 2 turns out, tighten your shifter cable and try your gears. If it is still bad, do over and set your jockey wheel slightly outside your small cog otherwise use you micro adjuster to fine tune. MTC

Thanks all, I will remove the cable and spray with some wd40, check for kinks and replace. will also check H and L again, particularly H. It shouldn't really be that difficult, but it is driving me nuts...

Thanks all, I will remove the cable and spray with some wd40, check for kinks and replace. will also check H and L again, particularly H. It shouldn't really be that difficult, but it is driving me nuts...

Check your notification inbox

Archived