Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubbers, I've read some, but not all of this thread, and I'm day-dreaming. Mind you, the last time I day-dreamed, I started the quest-for-parts and built a bike a few months later!

May I be so bold to pick your brains?

Day-dreaming about a low-cost (relatively speaking), tough, general purpose gravel grinder, light tourer, commuter type of thing. I have a cupboard full of parts from 2 MTBs (both 26" with disc and cantilever brakes respectively) and some road bits. I like the idea of a drop-barred aluminium or steel CX-type frame, 105 STIs and whatever wheel/tyre combo makes financial sense.

'Obviously' the choice of frame is dictated by many factors, but it seems to me that wheel size and brake type are critical. So here are my queries:

1. Brakes:

Disc brakes - one can't use MTB discs and road levers - wrong pull ratio....Y/N?

Road disc brakes (eg BB5 and BB7) can be used with road levers....Y/N?

Can cantilever brakes be used with road levers....Y/N?

2. Wheel size:

In principle if you're using disc brakes, you can use any wheel which has discs?.....Y/N? (I'm not concerned about wheel width, just the impact of brake type on wheel size).

If using cantilever, or arch brakes, wheel size is restricted due to the position of the cantilever post and/or brake bridge on the frame?......Y/N?

I know these queries are a bit back-and-white and I fully expect liberal use of the word....depends, so fire away!

I've been absent for a while, but I've been using my 'cross in the local road races recently :P

If anyone is interested, I am selling my Lynskey steel disc fork, Crossride 29" wheels and maybe, just maybe the S-Works Tricross (2007)... but nah I like it too much :D n+1 for the win

But going the handbuit steel route now, so the extras must go at some point.

For Fat Boab:

1. Road levers and road disc calipers, i.e. (my setup) Sram Rival shifters paired to Avid BB7 Road-S brakes.

Had to battle with the LBS to get the road calipers, they kept giving me the MTB calipers and you can physically see how much more lever pull is needed by the actuating arm on the brake. The Avids work like a charm by the way, decend with so much confidence now

2. Yes, it depends :P With discs you can use any wheel size, so long as the rotor size is correct (if you are swapping wheels etc.) and provided it fits in your frame. Don't want tyres to be rubbing on seatstays and chainstays etc. but if it fits, what's stopping you?

I've got another project bike which had a 26er frame with 29" wheels with road tyres drop bars on it, just because its cool as bananas.

I've been absent for a while, but I've been using my 'cross in the local road races recently :P

If anyone is interested, I am selling my Lynskey steel disc fork, Crossride 29" wheels and maybe, just maybe the S-Works Tricross (2007)... but nah I like it too much :D n+1 for the win

But going the handbuit steel route now, so the extras must go at some point.

For Fat Boab:

1. Road levers and road disc calipers, i.e. (my setup) Sram Rival shifters paired to Avid BB7 Road-S brakes.

Had to battle with the LBS to get the road calipers, they kept giving me the MTB calipers and you can physically see how much more lever pull is needed by the actuating arm on the brake. The Avids work like a charm by the way, decend with so much confidence now

2. Yes, it depends :P With discs you can use any wheel size, so long as the rotor size is correct (if you are swapping wheels etc.) and provided it fits in your frame. Don't want tyres to be rubbing on seatstays and chainstays etc. but if it fits, what's stopping you?

I've got another project bike which had a 26er frame with 29" wheels with road tyres drop bars on it, just because its cool as bananas.

Send pics of what you are selling please

My build so far. Just waiting for the rear derailleur and a cable guide then will complete. Super excited to try it out. Please forgive the untidy tv room. 2 year rules the roost in our house.

How's your build coming along?

I am thinking of "monster Cyclo -Cross-ing" my rigid SS.

Who in SA stocks this shape of handlebar. 

(it is not have to be this uber expensive Salsa model) 

post-59281-0-80405500-1444815392_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of "monster Cyclo -Cross-ing" my rigid SS.

Who in SA stocks this shape of handlebar. 

(it is not have to be this uber expensive Salsa model) 

the salsa has the best flair on their bar.. 

On one have the midge which is a slight flair... I have one of these in gold if you wanna buy one ha ha

The ragley has the luxy with a massive flair..