Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

the salsa has the best flair on their bar.. 

On one have the midge which is a slight flair... I have one of these in gold if you wanna buy one ha ha

The ragley has the luxy with a massive flair.. 

Thanks for the offer. I'll ponder it. 

The Ragley looks the business!!  :drool:  

No stock at CRC . . . . :thumbdown:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ragley looks the business!! :drool:

No stock anywhere. I have one in my garage but it isn't for sale. It's actually 'stolen' from a mate of mine :)

I have new On-One Midges in stock.

The Ragley looks the business!!  :drool:  

the flair on the luxy is 100% Legitimate ha ha scares the crap outta roadies coming through the bunch ha ha

Hubbers, I've read some, but not all of this thread, and I'm day-dreaming. Mind you, the last time I day-dreamed, I started the quest-for-parts and built a bike a few months later!

May I be so bold to pick your brains?

Day-dreaming about a low-cost (relatively speaking), tough, general purpose gravel grinder, light tourer, commuter type of thing. I have a cupboard full of parts from 2 MTBs (both 26" with disc and cantilever brakes respectively) and some road bits. I like the idea of a drop-barred aluminium or steel CX-type frame, 105 STIs and whatever wheel/tyre combo makes financial sense.

'Obviously' the choice of frame is dictated by many factors, but it seems to me that wheel size and brake type are critical. So here are my queries:

1. Brakes:

Disc brakes - one can't use MTB discs and road levers - wrong pull ratio....Y/N? By discs I presume you mean calipers. You can use them and they will stop you, eventually... But yes, the pull ratio is wrong so road levers just don't actuate mtb calipers correctly.

Road disc brakes (eg BB5 and BB7) can be used with road levers....Y/N? Correct. Road calipers with road levers.

Can cantilever brakes be used with road levers....Y/N? Correct. This IMO is the only way a CX should be run. But that's just my traditional, old school cool sentimentality coming out.

2. Wheel size:

In principle if you're using disc brakes, you can use any wheel which has discs?.....Y/N? (I'm not concerned about wheel width, just the impact of brake type on wheel size). In theory, wheel size doesn't matter if running discs. However, if you're talking running different diameter wheel sizes then things like BB height etc become a factor.

If using cantilever, or arch brakes, wheel size is restricted due to the position of the cantilever post and/or brake bridge on the frame?......Y/N? Correct. Here wheel size does matter as the rim surface needs to line up with the canti pad.

I know these queries are a bit back-and-white and I fully expect liberal use of the word....depends, so fire away!

See in blue above... Hope that helps.

Edited by Ryanpmb

@Ryanpmb, sent you a PM concerning bike fit. Need some advice, thank you

Yebo - you're next in line... Sorry about the delay. 9-5er has been crazy the last few days...  :thumbup:

Yebo - you're next in line... Sorry about the delay. 9-5er has been crazy the last few days... :thumbup:

Thought you only ride bikes???????????????????? Edited by LOOK695

See in blue above... Hope that helps.

Great stuff - confirmed what I believed to be the case - many thanks.

One last question. Obviously cantilever brakes need cantilever posts, which would push one towards a frame with post capability, but can posts be brazed on? Is this a to-be-avoided bit of extra PT? A common skill?

Regarding my earlier question about the handlebar and turning my SS into the Cyclo/Monster Cross rig. 

I would like to able to to convert it while keeping most of parts that is on it. 

Something like slapping on some drop bars and Shimano road cockpit and off I go. 

But have the follow questions regarding the current Shimano Road Hydraulic leaver/shifter

assemblies. 

1. Is the brake hose, gland, retaining/lock screw assemble the same as in the current Shimano XT spec. In other words, will I be able to disconnect my XT brake levers and connect the hoses to Shimano Road Hydraulic brakes, bleed, and Bob's your uncle. 

2. Will a  Shimano 10- or 11-speed  hydraulic road brake/shifter shift a 10- or 11-speed XT rear derailleur properly?

In other words, Shimano hydraulic road brake-leavers/Shifters with XT brakes and drive train in 1 X 10 or 11?

Edited by IH8MUD

Regarding my earlier question about the handlebar and turning my SS into the Cyclo/Monster Cross rig.

I would like to able to to convert it while keeping most of parts that is on it.

Something like slapping on some drop bars and Shimano road cockpit and off I go.

But have the follow questions regarding the current Shimano Road Hydraulic leaver/shifter

assemblies.

1. Is the brake hose, gland, retaining/lock screw assemble the same as in the current Shimano XT spec. In other words, will I be able to disconnect my XT brake levers and connect the hoses to Shimano Road Hydraulic brakes, bleed, and Bob's your uncle.

2. Will a Shimano 10- or 11-speed hydraulic road brake/shifter shift a 10- or 11-speed XT rear derailleur properly?

In other words, Shimano hydraulic road brake-leavers/Shifters with XT brakes and drive train in 1 X 10 or 11?

I'm not sure re question 1. But the answer to number 2 is no. Ratios are different. 9 speed non dynasys setups are interchangeable and compatible. 10/11 spd road and MTB components are not compatible. Shimano that is.

10 sram stis work with 10spd sram MTB RD's.

I'm not sure re question 1. But the answer to number 2 is no. Ratios are different. 9 speed non dynasys setups are interchangeable and compatible. 10/11 spd road and MTB components are not compatible. Shimano that is.

10 sram stis work with 10spd sram MTB RD's.

Thanks. 

Quiestion 1. 

I would like to buy Shimano RS685 Road Disc and  then somehow mate them with my XT callipers and have a bike with hydraulic road brakes leavers but my nice XT 180mm callipers and rotor.  With would be wicked.   :devil:

Perhaps I could then get that Shimano RS685 to shift a nice 11 speed rear derailleur, fit a 11-42 cluster and run a single big chainring like 38T or 42T  in front.

This will give me a lowest ratio of about 42:42 or 38:42 which is much lower than my current SS but I will have a nice fast gears for the flats. 

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/shimano-rs685-road-disc-brake/rp-prod119977

Edited by IH8MUD