Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind, on a CX bike you need to concider your gear ratio.

Mostly they run a 46/36 gearing on the front.

Depends entirely on the application... For hardcore CX races and more MTB based trails definately. For gravel grinding and district roads, a compact crank with a larger cassette is sufficient.

That said though - on these bikes you can run just about anything. MTB based 1x10 is also popular.

I've just got rid of my road bike and built a CX bike so I can maintain my road riding but explore more back roads on the same rides...

I use this bike to take my daughter for rides too...

I just slid off my chair.

yassis, that's nice.

Cool bike,what tires are you running?

Currently running Schwalbe Marathon Supremes - they're a bit hairy in the mud, but great on the road and gravel.

I have a set of Schwalbe Rocket Ron CX's for when things get serious...  ^_^ .

With all these awesome 'cross bikes, when will we get official cyclocross events? There is a groundswell of guys/gals with cross bikes, we need to race them. 

Agreed - Hunter Cycles used to to them. Not sure if they still do. Sprocket and Jack may also be interested in doing something.

I'm keen - will bring my bike with on my next Jozi trip, and time it around one of these events...

Most mtb races I reckon could be done on cyclo cross bike. I run a fully rigid mtb at moment

Agreed. I've ridden mine on bits of the Freedom Trail. Matt de Jongh rode his in Sani2c.

Something like Hill2Hill can definately get done on a cx bike.

That said - they're not proper CX races. You know, mud, hay bales, post n rail, banks etc...

Agreed. I've ridden mine on bits of the Freedom Trail. Matt de Jongh rode his in Sani2c.

Something like Hill2Hill can definately get done on a cx bike.

That said - they're not proper CX races. You know, mud, hay bales, post n rail, banks etc...

The mass participation events really can be done on cx. Have entire groupo and brakes. Just need tyres and frame.. Also have a compact crank

The mass participation events really can be done on cx. Have entire groupo and brakes. Just need tyres and frame.. Also have a compact crank

So you are going to join me building a cyclo cross.... cool