Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay first ride done. A nice mixture of climbing and dirt road. I am very sore. The road gearing is tough and the lack of suspension is intense. Also it's my first experience with road bars so I have no idea when to use the drops or hold the hoods...

Tips?

Okay first ride done. A nice mixture of climbing and dirt road. I am very sore. The road gearing is tough and the lack of suspension is intense. Also it's my first experience with road bars so I have no idea when to use the drops or hold the hoods...

Tips?

Wasn't your Momsen a rigid bike? I think it's more the smaller (and harder) tyres giving you the intense ride.

No real rules re hoods or drops. Hoods give you more of an upright position and the drops get you low and tucked.

I generally climb riding on the hoods (or right back on the flats). I use the drops a lot for flat out pace. I use both hoods and drops on technical stuff. I'm finding myself more comfortable in the drops on quick flowing single track - takes some getting used for a mtber but the bike is way less twitchy this way.

Comes down to personal preference I think. The biggest thing for me is to get the reach correct, on the hoods and in the drops. Once that is correct you can brake and change gears from both positions efficiently. 

Edited by Ryanpmb

Yeah my momsen is rigid but the big rubber and carbon fork make that bike so comfortable. I spent three hours on it today and my body feels fine.

Yeah my momsen is rigid but the big rubber and carbon fork make that bike so comfortable. I spent three hours on it today and my body feels fine.

I forgot your X is running a steel fork. Could always run some 650B wheels with beefy tyres  ;) ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up some mechanical cable disks for the cotic. They won't go on for a while because they will necessitate new wheels etc

If you need Disc Cx wheels,

I have a set of HEDs in stock and 2 sets if Ritchey WCS Zeta's flying in this week

Prices!! Keep us in mind sir

R14092.00 per set

http://ritcheylogic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/640x480/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/z/e/zeta-disc-road-cross-wheelset-15.jpg

WCS ZETA II DISC

The do-everything aluminum race wheel is wider, lighter and stiffer than ever—and now available in a disc brake version.

Tom Ritchey believes in high quality aluminum road wheels—they offer incredible performance and durability that’s hard to beat at any price. The critically acclaimed Zeta is completely redesigned to be wider, lighter and laterally stiffer, yet still tough enough to endure gravel road rides and cyclocross races that would chew lesser wheels to pieces. New dedicated disc brake version features new two-piece forged hubs and disc-only OCR rim extrusion.

• New forged and machined phantom disc hubs
  • Disc-specific Zeta II oCR™ rims are light, stiff, wide and tubeless ready
  • Forged, machined and staggered hub flange increases spoke bracing angle and builds a stronger, lighter wheel
  • Centerlock compatible
  • 1,560 grams (735g front, 825g rear)

• Rims: WCS Zeta II Tubeless OCR
  • Proprietary Ritchey extrusion balances ride quality and aerodynamics
  • Rear OCR® (Off Center Rim) design reduces wheel dish to balance spoke tension for a stronger, stiffer wheel
  • Hubs: WCS Disc w/9mm standard QR
  • Spokes: DT Competition 2.0/1.8 DB
  • Nipples: Brass
  • Build: 24/2x
  • Freehub: alloy
  • BB black finish

• 2 weeks later...