Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

I too was yearning for a CX for ages....

and although it's not actually a CX bike, I landed up getting one these earlier this year.

post-6012-0-12302100-1417014543_thumb.jpg

It's awesome! a "go (pretty much) anywhere" machine!

and they're not badly priced either. 

Edited by L.T.G

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the link to my build.

I used a Chinese Carbon frame from Deng Fu.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/136887-new-build-cyclocross-bike-the-one-bike-to-rule-them-all/?hl=cyclocross

I am a fat boy - 113 kgs. It works no problems.

IN fact it is my go to bike for 90% of my riding - both MTB and road bike are parked a lot more.

It works very nicely and with the larger tires on the rims the overall ride is not too harsh on the Carbon rims.

I am awaiting the TRP HYRD brakes from overseas (stuck in post office) plus i am putting some 35mm Specialized 2Bliss tires on that are more aggressive and are going to give more grip - then i plan on running the single track in the cradle.

I wouldn't suggest getting serious airtime on these sorts of machines or anything like that - they are not MTB's.

So don't confuse the issue.

BUT

They are great gravel road grinders and are really nice for going off the beaten track and creating more routes that add some colour to your road loops.

You can quite happily just turn up a dirt track.

Oh and if you do go cable brakes get some levers for the top of the bars.

And go tubeless.

Welcome to the movement BTW.

Oh and if you do go cable brakes get some levers for the top of the bars.

one of the best best additions I made to mine... they've come in very handy many times.

Here's my CX

Cotic X frame

WTB i19 rims

Hope V-Twin Hydraulics

Shimano Ultegra STI's

Running 1 x 10  with a Wolftooth 42 chainring and 11-25 Ultegra cassette

Will be replacing the Ultegra cassette with an SLX 11-36 and changing out the Ultegra RD to a 9spd SLX within the next 10 days.

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_171255_small.jpg

Where did you get those Hope brakes ?

Wow this topic is pages long now. Cant believe the love CX is getting all of a sardine.

Where were all of you when i was posting about this 6 months ago? I even saw one at Cycle lab and Andrew is predicting that its the next big thing. 

Seems like the lights have gone on about CX bikes being ideally suited to this country and our terrain.

Gravel road grinding is set for a big tack off IMHO. Think about things like Surf n Turf etc....

Would be great to gte a group of gravel grinders together and plot some loops around the cradle area and some back roads.

Lots of guys have asked about my bike when i have been riding it in the cradle.

They really are fun machines and make you think a little more about your riding and potential courses.

Price for frame?

got one frame locally and one overseas... both came in at around R12K (including postage and shipping for the one i got overseas)

I too was yearning for a CX for ages....

and although it's not actually a CX bike, I landed up getting one these earlier this year.

attachicon.gifpost-6012-0-86092600-1411039822.jpg

It's awesome! a "go (pretty much) anywhere" machine!

and they're not badly priced either. 

Nice - i was thinking that an out of the box option would be great, and thg Specialized Crux got my attention.

That and a Lynskey Procross but the prices were just stupid.

Dream bike is a Procross configured with Di2 hydraulic.

I wouldn't suggest getting serious airtime on these sorts of machines or anything like that - they are not MTB's.

So don't confuse the issue.

BUT

They are great gravel road grinders and are really nice for going off the beaten track and creating more routes that add some colour to your road loops.

my maiden ride on mine was the Yellow loop at Heia Safari, great fun!

post-6012-0-13776300-1417017650_thumb.jpg

Edited by L.T.G

I think they are perfect bikes. I'm building one for my currently non cycling fiancee to take on weekends away. Means we can ride on quiet dirt roads away from traffic and once she has some confidence it might encourage her getting into road or mtbing.

And for me its the perfect commuter that i can ride anywhere from the roads to most of table mountain.

I'm also hoping someone sets up some cyclocross events for next autumn like they have overseas as they look like awesome fun.

Where did you get those Hope brakes ?

Got them from the importer, International Trade.

Seems like the lights have gone on about CX bikes being ideally suited to this country and our terrain.

They really are fun machines and make you think a little more about your riding and potential courses.

We entered the Bainbridge Believe 12 hr at Modderfontein as a team of 4, all on CX bikes. Came 3rd overall.

We also did the Thaba Trails 12hr on CX bikes and despite have 3 punctures initially, we managed to claw back a lot of time and I think we again finished 3rd overall.

There are plenty of courses / races suited for CX.

Got them from the importer, International Trade.

We entered the Bainbridge Believe 12 hr at Modderfontein as a team of 4, all on CX bikes. Came 3rd overall.

We also did the Thaba Trails 12hr on CX bikes and despite have 3 punctures initially, we managed to claw back a lot of time and I think we again finished 3rd overall.

There are plenty of courses / races suited for CX.

Then there's also Matthew from Cotic that did Sani2C on a CX

Doood - you have it all backwards - CX is supposed to be raced in mud, snow and cryogenic temperatures - ala Belgian style :-)

I raced a season of CX in the UK and it was......*** - I don't like racing in the slush and snow!

Still - it was character building.

CX bikes are perfect for out gravel travel roads. You got it spot on!

Mine...

Man that is nice - love the old school leather feel with he bar tape and Brooks saddle.

I feel like a bit of an under achiever with my naked carbon build. Need to get some paint work done.