Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

I'm looking to build a cyclocross bike by salvaging an old frame - but I'm totally in the dark about where to start. So excuse what may be a stupid question, but I assume an mtb frame would be a bit better in that it has disc brake mounts at the back, no? Then I'd need to get a cyclocross specific fork. Where would I even start looking for that?

I am also thinking about just getting a new CX frame or bike instead. Can anyone recommend a decent entry level frame or complete bike for CX? I'd consider paying R20K for a complete bike. Giant do one for that price, but I'm not a huge fan of their colour scheme. Sounds lame, but you have to love your bike!  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick how tall are you? I have a 54cm Cotic X frame, fork, seat post, canti brakes and wheels (a rolling chassis if you will) - willing to sell  

Nick how tall are you? I have a 54cm Cotic X frame, fork, seat post, canti brakes and wheels (a rolling chassis if you will) - willing to sell  

Ah bleak, just a bit too big for that. I.83m (aka 6ft) so typically ride something between 56 and 58. 

Thanks anyway. 

Just a straw poll? What brands/outlets of new steel, or Al, CX, or gravel grinder, (I'm grouping them, I know purists will object so mea culpa) framesets do we have available in this country?

Ritchey, Surly, Cotic, Mercer, Niner? What else?

Or do we have to resign ourselves to picking up a second-hand 'random', or importing ourselves?

Edit: to include Al framesets.

Are you specifically after boutique type brands? If not, just about every main stream brand has a gravel/ cx bike now...

Personally the Sklar's, Hunter's, Stinner's etc of the world is where my interest lies.

I'm looking to build a cyclocross bike by salvaging an old frame - but I'm totally in the dark about where to start. So excuse what may be a stupid question, but I assume an mtb frame would be a bit better in that it has disc brake mounts at the back, no? Then I'd need to get a cyclocross specific fork. Where would I even start looking for that?

I am also thinking about just getting a new CX frame or bike instead. Can anyone recommend a decent entry level frame or complete bike for CX? I'd consider paying R20K for a complete bike. Giant do one for that price, but I'm not a huge fan of their colour scheme. Sounds lame, but you have to love your bike!

I could assist with a CX specific Enve fork at a great price... if that's the route you're going.

Are you specifically after boutique type brands? If not, just about every main stream brand has a gravel/ cx bike now...

Personally the Sklar's, Hunter's, Stinner's etc of the world is where my interest lies.

I did think of the mainstream brands, like Giant, Cannondale, Specialized etc, who all have full CX/gravel bikes available in this country, but if one was looking for a metal frameset, do the mainstream brands/outlets sell these?

First ride with Wolverine and we got caught in the rain. Bike rides well, fit feels just about right. Weight including pedals and computer is 8,75kg fitted with conti 4000s 25mm tyres.

with those tyres its a road bike.... sorry to say.... Roadie.... kekekekekek

And on that note.... the Ritchey is in for some adjustments, I am riding DC in November and refuse to use a road bike. I am fitting 25c's.... don't judge me.... I feel ashamed enough already. I am going to see how the bike responds to skinny tyres this weekend. If I am not sold I will go to a 30/32 slick.

Edited by Monark

with those tyres its a road bike.... sorry to say.... Roadie.... kekekekekek

And on that note.... the Ritchey is in for some adjustments, I am riding DC in November and refuse to use a road bike. I am fitting 25c's.... don't judge me.... I feel ashamed enough already. I am going to see how the bike responds to skinny tyres this weekend. If I am not sold I will go to a 30/32 slick.

Not planning any off-roading. Will do that after the 947. Have some 38s in the cupboard for then......????????

I am fitting 25c's.... don't judge me.... I feel ashamed enough already. I am going to see how the bike responds to skinny tyres this weekend.

The answer is brilliantly