Rogue Riders - need assistance identifying

tygerbergmtb

That's what was discussed last year at the AMARider symposium on trail building / maintenance / control. A blanket ban. 

It just seems that people don't want to listen and going the whole legal route is also not ideal...so once the rider is caught on camera, he is sent a letter stating that he was caught rogue riding and he can appeal...if not a blanket ban.

If the process to do this is followed properly, ie not he said she said.....it could work well

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad reality is that it is very hard to enforce. Imagine first having the attendant taking your trail fees go through a mugshot file to see if your face was in it. Then there is the cost of maintaining the database, validation of offences etc. It becomes a separate animal to feed. 

Cheaper and easier than the legal route...and you don't involve the land owner. Also you can not knock it if you have not tried it

The sad reality is that it is very hard to enforce. Imagine first having the attendant taking your trail fees go through a mugshot file to see if your face was in it. Then there is the cost of maintaining the database, validation of offences etc. It becomes a separate animal to feed. 

AMA were going to host it and control it through a centralised database. Trail centres just send them details of riders who don't adhere to the central tenets, and BAM. A mail goes out to all events & other trail centres, saying XYZ has abused ABC and is hereby included in the suspensions list for 2015/2016. 

All that needs to happen is an amended T's & C's for the club they belong to. 

Cheaper and easier than the legal route...and you don't involve the land owner. Also you can not knock it if you have not tried it

I knew a chap that was banned from Newlands stadium for misconduct. He didn't miss a game for the rest of that season as the ban meant nothing and was almost impossible to enforce (you don't show your ID when you purchase tickets). Its like having points deducted from your drivers license. It only works if you can effectively enforce it. 

I knew a chap that was banned from Newlands stadium for misconduct. He didn't miss a game for the rest of that season as the ban meant nothing and was almost impossible to enforce (you don't show your ID when you purchase tickets). Its like having points deducted from your drivers license. It only works if you can effectively enforce it. 

Hmm you are comparing thousands of people going into a staduim to 3 riders rocking up at meerendal?

AMA were going to host it and control it through a centralised database. Trail centres just send them details of riders who don't adhere to the central tenets, and BAM. A mail goes out to all events & other trail centres, saying XYZ has abused ABC and is hereby included in the suspensions list for 2015/2016. 

All that needs to happen is an amended T's & C's for the club they belong to. 

Good on AMA to look at ways to become relevant again in the SA mtb context. I am afraid that they were sitting on their hands for too long to now get buy-in from trail owners. If it comes off we will all be better off, but AMA policing then just becomes another trail tax that law abiding riders have to pay. 

Hmm you are comparing thousands of people going into a staduim to 3 riders rocking up at meerendal?

I think Meerendal gets more than 3 riders a day... and then the guy controlling access is the security guard who gets paid R10 / hour to sit there, and at Hoogekraal there is an honesty box, and when you get to welvanpas there is a waitress at the coffee shop that takes your trail fees, not Blayne Sheperd. At best you can hope to ban these guys at events, but then they rock up under a friend's details and ride anyway. 

Good on AMA to look at ways to become relevant again in the SA mtb context. I am afraid that they were sitting on their hands for too long to now get buy-in from trail owners. If it comes off we will all be better off, but AMA policing then just becomes another trail tax that law abiding riders have to pay. 

Why are you so negative about everything? People come here and try to give solutions / options but you just shoot it all down. 

Now you even shooting down what AMA tried, maybe take a deep breath of CPT air and try and look at things with a fresh open mind

#just saying

you would think people working in an office like this should be able to understand basic law

What about an office like this

post-23299-0-53491900-1418115209_thumb.png

Why are you so negative about everything? People come here and try to give solutions / options but you just shoot it all down. 

Now you even shooting down what AMA tried, maybe take a deep breath of CPT air and try and look at things with a fresh open mind

#just saying

Sorry, but I cannot sing kum-ba-ja about these types of proposals. I have to question on how this would actually work and who would end up paying for this. 

I always pay the gate fee at Hoogekraal or Contermans. On one occasion at Hoogies a member asked us if we had paid in a bit of an accusatorial fashion. Of course we said, which he accepted but we had no proof that we had. At least at Conties you fill out a ticket and put that in with your money. the same system at the other venues  would be good.

Sorry, but I cannot sing kum-ba-ja about these types of proposals. I have to question on how this would actually work and who would end up paying for this. 

No payment afaik. Just a centralised database. It wouldn't take much, and would be up to the individual trail centres / events to police once they have info on rogue riders and people just flouting the rules. 

I always pay the gate fee at Hoogekraal or Contermans. On one occasion at Hoogies a member asked us if we had paid in a bit of an accusatorial fashion. Of course we said, which he accepted but we had no proof that we had. At least at Conties you fill out a ticket and put that in with your money. the same system at the other venues  would be good.

I still think that SnapScan is a fantastic way for this to be done. Scan on entry, pay, you get an SMS / payment receipt and BAM. There's your proof. 

You can implement it with race entries - more specifically races that you need to pre-enter in.  That would easily be able to be controlled.

I mean what if you want to do Joberg2C, or Sani2C, or Attakwas, or, or, or...  you won't be able to...

A new day permit will be implemented for people to ride on TMBC trails.  With a board shown.  Similar to what Bottelary do.

No payment afaik. Just a centralised database. It wouldn't take much, and would be up to the individual trail centres / events to police once they have info on rogue riders and people just flouting the rules. 

... and in the small print it say that the trail has to be affiliated to AMA? 

Archived