vertical play rear suspension

Trance Dance

I have a giant trance, year and half old. I have noticed a slight vertical play when I lift the seat.Feels about 2mm of play. Should I be worried? I've checked the rocker bearings and they look ok?

Might also be the shock mounting hardware (bushings) that has worn a bit. They are made that way so the bolts don't worn due to friction.

Tell tale sign the the du bushing in the eye of the shock are worn. Most likely the one the connects to the linkage. Place your finger on the join between these two places and then lift the saddle, you will feel the movment between the two if the bushing is worn.

Edited by Spoke101

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check the bushing. Is replacing bushings a diy job?

Can be DIY you will need a vise and socket or simmer of the correct diameter in order to press out the worn one

Anyone know what the correct DU bushing is for a Fox RP23, ie what must I ask for at the bearing shop?

Anyone know what the correct DU bushing is for a Fox RP23, ie what must I ask for at the bearing shop?

1/2" DU bush. It has a 1/2" ID and a 19/32" OD. You'll need the correct tool to remove and install though. I use this one:

post-4006-1418157349,3028.jpg

You really need those tools to do the job properly.

Could you use the new bushing to press the old one out and the new one in at the same time, or will that damage the new bushing?

I have a giant trance, year and half old. I have noticed a slight vertical play when I lift the seat.Feels about 2mm of play. Should I be worried? I've checked the rocker bearings and they look ok?

DU Bushings have gone... you dont need fancy tools to remove the old stuff, although if you have a G clamp big enough with a socket that fits in that hole and a metal cup bug enough for the receiving end, you can push it out.

The new polymer bush kit is a breeze to fit, it can be done by hand.

Yep I have a Trance, had the same thing. DU bush in the shock is gone. While you are at it if the bike still has the 2 part bushing shaft running in the DU bush, upgrade it to a one piece shaft, or get the Fox replacement kit, those 2 part eye bushing shafts eat DU's and themselves. Also just ensure you tighten the lower pivot properly, if thats not torqued correctly you might also get vertical play.

Old 2 part bushings:

post-27175-0-66179100-1418193110_thumb.jpg