Fittign 25mm wide carbon rims between brake pads?

Jay_B

Hey guys, just bought myself a set of carbon 25mm wide rims and im having a hard time getting them to fit between the brake pads... is there a way around this?

I can get them to fit if I move the washer that goes between the brake pad holder and the caliper to the outside but I am not sure how safe this is?

I have shimano brakes... anybody else had experience with this?

If any washers are fitted they are supposed to be between the allen screw head and the caliper....there should be no washers between caliper and adapter. If yours were fitted like this then incorrectly assembled in the 1st place. Download and look at Shimano service manuals and diagrams

Your adapter should bolt direct to the fork or frame mounting posts. Then caliper direct to adapter. Then bolt with or without washers. The cone washers help to prevent the caliper shifting when you tighten the bolt

If any washers are fitted they are supposed to be between the allen screw head and the caliper....there should be no washers between caliper and adapter. If yours were fitted like this then incorrectly assembled in the 1st place. Download and look at Shimano service manuals and diagrams

Your adapter should bolt direct to the fork or frame mounting posts. Then caliper direct to adapter. Then bolt with or without washers. The cone washers help to prevent the caliper shifting when you tighten the bolt

Aah alright will look for a manual/diagram...

Sorry when I say washer I meant there is a cone washer between the caliper and the adapter, with the cone side towards the adapter.

I think he is talking about road wheels, otherwise why would the 25mm rim be an issue?

Like Look said, loosen the cable completely ie the bolt that holds the cable. Screw the barrel adjuster out about 1 full turn, then hold both sides so that the brake bloks touch the rim. Now pull the cable tight and tighten the bolt, while holding the pads against the rim. When everything is tight, just screw the barrel adjuster in again and the gap should be big enough for your wheel to turn freely.

Oh and leave all washers and cone spacers wherevthey are, they are there for a reason.

I think he is talking about road wheels, otherwise why would the 23mm rim be an issue?

Like Look said, loosen the cable completely ie the bolt that holds the cable. Screw the barrel adjuster out about 1 full turn, then hold both sides so that the brake bloks touch the rim. Now pull the cable tight and tighten the bolt, while holding the pads against the rim. When everything is tight, just screw the barrel adjuster in again and the gap should be big enough for your wheel to turn freely.

Aaah ok. I automatically thought MTB sorry....

Aaah ok. I automatically thought MTB sorry....

No problem, he isnt actually very clear. Roadies think road first, mtb guys think mtb. ;)

No problem, he isnt actually very clear. Roadies think road first, mtb guys think mtb. ;)

He he he....too true. Road cycling doesnt even exist for me [emoji48]

I have set my brakes so the barrel adjusters are turned in for my training wheels and turned out for my carbon wheels. Once set up correctly it works great.

I have tried everything and still no luck... even took the caliper completely off the bike to see if the spring was sticking or something and they just wont open enough to allow the wheel to fit if I have the cone washer in the correct place.

Somehow I foresee a heavy expense for new brake calipers or I just wasted a whole bunch of cash on new wheels  

Post some pics?? This should be a super simple fix.

Here we go... cable is not even tightened to the calipers in the pics...

I have double checked and the right and left pads are all correct but it seems like the pads are not sitting nicely aligned either.

Any help would be appreciated please guys as I have now cancelled my morning ride and am really eager to test these wheels out properly

post-13500-0-55602700-1418679698_thumb.jpg

post-13500-0-39764300-1418679742_thumb.jpg

post-13500-0-31889400-1418679782_thumb.jpg

Alignment of the pads is not a problem. Pull the lever, so the brakes are tight. Loosen the Allen bolt holding the pad to the caliper. Align and then re tighten.

As for the calipers,

Those do look very narrow. I run 25mm clinchers with ultegra calipers, with the quick adjust thingy closed, and am still able to have loads of space. I just adjust with the barrel adjuster on the cable. Those calipers look very narrow.

Also, make sure you only use the supplied brake pads with those rims!! No standard shimano, as that will bugger them up quickly.

I suggest taking it to a bike shop and ask them to check it our before you replace calipers or anything. At the worst, you can pick up some ultegra on the classifieds for like 900. That's not terrible for awesome wheels!

Good luck man

Archived