Ironman SA 2015

Snytjie

Hey guys, so getting very amped for Ironman! I wanted to get some advice from everyone. This is my first Ironman and I completed Trirock in October and it went well. Now I have received differing opinions on whether to race Midlands Ultra on 1 March as a last practice race.

It just feels very close to Ironman and I have read that you shouldn't race closer than 8 weeks before. Is it a good idea to race or rather to do one last big weekend that weekend?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, so getting very amped for Ironman! I wanted to get some advice from everyone. This is my first Ironman and I completed Trirock in October and it went well. Now I have received differing opinions on whether to race Midlands Ultra on 1 March as a last practice race.

It just feels very close to Ironman and I have read that you shouldn't race closer than 8 weeks before. Is it a good idea to race or rather to do one last big weekend that weekend?

My first Iron Man too..am nervous/amped/excited and looking forward to it.

I have entered midlands and intend to do it. However I am viewing it as a training event and will be pacing it. It is 4 weeks prior to Iron Man and lets face it by now we should be far advanced in our training and our bodies should bounce back prior anyway.

I have also schedule a long run on the 14th of March and a long ride on the 21st of march leading into Iron Man.....

I aint an expert, my opinion is do midlands but don't kill yourself doing it. take it relaxed an view as training.

My first Iron Man too..am nervous/amped/excited and looking forward to it.

I have entered midlands and intend to do it. However I am viewing it as a training event and will be pacing it. It is 4 weeks prior to Iron Man and lets face it by now we should be far advanced in our training and our bodies should bounce back prior anyway.

I have also schedule a long run on the 14th of March and a long ride on the 21st of march leading into Iron Man.....

I aint an expert, my opinion is do midlands but don't kill yourself doing it. take it relaxed an view as training.

I agree do it, get the time on your legs and you get to practice your transition and nutrition, don't race it. good luck

just out of curiosity. what does your weekly training schedule look like???

pretty bladdy blank, lots of empty days

good question, would love to get an idea of where my schedule is perhaps lacking ....my particular schedule is:

1. Swimming 3 times a week for about 1 hour.

2. Running 2 to 3 times a week ...between 25 and 40 km's per week

3. cycling - Doing 2 double spin sessions a week and then a 100km plus cycle on the weekend.

all in all between 10-14 hours a week. never less than 10 but sometimes a lil more than 14 esp if I have an event on the weekend.

cheers

Mine is usually as follows:

- Swim 3 times a week, around 2.5kms a time

- Run 3 or 4 times a week, 25 to 35kms (Been lacking due to ITB issues)

- Cycle 3 times a week (2 sessions are around 30 or 40kms and a 120km on the weekends)

A number of my age group guys are doing around the following ( depending on specific strengths weaknesses)

Swim 12 000m/week

Bike 11 hours

Run 75km

Puts on helmet and ducks for cover :whistling:

A number of my age group guys are doing around the following ( depending on specific strengths weaknesses)

Swim 12 000m/week

Bike 11 hours

Run 75km

jeepers , I don't have the time to do this kind of training.... fantastic if you can do it though... what sort of time are they aiming for at IM?

jeepers , I don't have the time to do this kind of training.... fantastic if you can do it though... what sort of time are they aiming for at IM?

Some of them are looking to get Kona slots, in their respective age groupers and yep your right not everyone has the opportunity to do that amount of load.

If you have a job and family bloody difficult, only one its doable.

Swim 12 000m/week

Bike 11 hours

Run 75km

This is similar to the amount of training in Tissink's program at the moment, pretty intense!!!!

Swim 12000m

Bike 11 hours

Run 6 hours

This is similar to the amount of training in Tissink's program at the moment, pretty intense!!!!

Swim 12000m

Bike 11 hours

Run 6 hours

Interesting, have never looked at Raynards programmes, but there does seem to be a pattern.  Also a lot depends on the % of differing intensities as well.

swim - 10km

bike - 260km+/week, min 120km on weekend

run - 60km/week, min 25km on weekend 

can't wait for this one

After having done a few Ironman events I would say the course change in PE makes it much tougher than before. I would guess 1 hour slower than the old route for me if the wind is east like last year.

I'm no expert, but if I could give some advice to new-ish IM guys in relation to the new route this would be it:

1. The bike is much harder than it used to be. Not so much the climbing but the slog back along the coast. Get more hours in on the bike if you can, and make sure you are including long steady efforts in the aero bars on your long rides, especially later in the ride when you are already feeling toast.

2. Make sure your long ride is quality. It is no use spending 7 hours on the bike but you coast the downhills and have to stop every few minutes at traffic lights. You are much better off doing a 4 hour long ride if it is a honest steady ride.

3. a single loop swim means approx. 30 minutes of continuous swimming in a straight line, then you turn, and lastly a 30 min swim in a straight line. There is no rest stop half way! By 3/4 last year my back and neck were killing me. I think I could have benefitted from more long continuous swims at a steady pace. Something like: get in and swim 3km without stopping twice a week. Include sighting if you can so your neck gets used to it. Include a wetsuit if you can so your shoulders get used to the wetsuit fatigue.

4. Practice riding steady on the downhills. Many of the climbs start immediately after a downhill, so if you ride steady on the downhill you won't loose so much time and you have some momentum to start the climb.

5. The bike is hard, did I mention that? If you can add an extra session somewhere of biking. IF you can try to have a double bike day.

Some of them are looking to get Kona slots, in their respective age groupers and yep your right not everyone has the opportunity to do that amount of load.

If you have a job and family bloody difficult, only one its doable.

just curious here and well no one need fear of me taking a kona slot but what sort of times does one have to do to achieve kona slots.... I am in the same age category as that Hurwitz fellow so I aint ever going to be winning anything or even getting close to Kona unless the first 400 decline kind of thing

Archived