Is MTBing ( casual XC/Trail ) in decline ?

Runbikeswim

I got my 1st mtb end of 2011 ( not counting my raleigh in school) and since then loads of friends and family all got bikes. Eventually it was easy to find 2 or 3 people for a casual 40+ km ride. I have since moved up a bit in my technical ability, race distance and overall fitness, doing a minimum of 1 race a month and staring to commute to work full time too.

Forward to today, probably 80% of those friends and family have not been on their bikes in the last year. They all say yes the mtb, but never get in the bike and always decline a offer for a ride, never race.

This got me thinking, was it a phase for most of the loads of south africans? With only a small percentage actually really taking up the sport?

I love this sport and while i am no race snake, i plan to continue building skills and fitness and compete more on the stage race terrain this coming year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get some new friends...... MTB is the new Golf/ Corporate thing to do. 

Some get swooped up by the "phase" and go buy a Makro special bike to get started, but get frustrated with their bike etc etc.... 

In short, MTB is huge, well at least in the land of milk and honey here in Western Cape...

I dont do nearly as many races as I used to do.

The cost factor has increaced  a fair amount, and also have commitments with childrens sport wich was once not a factor.

I still ride however not as much as 3/4 years ago.

I think the cost factor plays a large roll today. It costs more to replace a tubeless tires on the bicycle than a entry level car tire. Then take into account that most will have to get the LBS to install it. The cost to just maintain a bicycle can go really high. Then take into account that most area's the entry cost is hitting around R50 per day/R400 a year. Excluding transport to the location. 

Then you get the significant other and kids requiring time.

So after about 3 months off the bike it can feel like starting from scratch.

The question then becomes just how much do you really love cycling.

For most people the answer is "I would rather watch TV"

MTB is the new Golf/ Corporate thing to do. 

I agree on the corporate front.

A couple years back there was hardly any of us in the corporate I work for and the numbers are definitely on the rise - heck, because of me and my injuries over the years our former CEO started watching downhill.

I'm also talking with a few others who I work with about us getting the company behind us with some sponsorship but we'll see how well that works out...

If you progress past the level of your buddies then you either need to find new groups to ride with or be willing to ride shorter/slower.

I know when my cycling fitness is down then I will turn down rides with my usual mates if Im just not going to be able to keep up or go the distance.

Sure they would wait for me but it would make their rides less fun.

It happens in just about every sport or pastime out there, people get all excited because *THIS* is the one, *THIS* is the sport or activity that is going to change their life, make them whole and fulfill all their dreams of fitness and sporting stardom.

They buy the kit and equipment with a happy heart and a willing wallet, they plan their year ahead (how many days a week they will complete the activity, how many competitions they will take part in, how much better they will be),they plan their progression up the ladder of skill and well being, life is wonderful and dream like.

And then they find out it hurts...

It happens in just about every sport or pastime out there, people get all excited because *THIS* is the one, *THIS* is the sport or activity that is going to change their life, make them whole and fulfill all their dreams of fitness and sporting stardom.

They buy the kit and equipment with a happy heart and a willing wallet, they plan their year ahead (how many days a week they will complete the activity, how many competitions they will take part in, how much better they will be),they plan their progression up the ladder of skill and well being, life is wonderful and dream like.

And then they find out it hurts...

And then a year later you can pick up their second hand bike for half price which is practically brand new.  :clap:

One of the "things" i plan to do in 2015 is to try and never turn down a ride unless i have other plans.

Are you working at 1pm today..... :)

I got my 1st mtb end of 2011 ( not counting my raleigh in school) and since then loads of friends and family all got bikes. Eventually it was easy to find 2 or 3 people for a casual 40+ km ride. I have since moved up a bit in my technical ability, race distance and overall fitness, doing a minimum of 1 race a month and staring to commute to work full time too.

Forward to today, probably 80% of those friends and family have not been on their bikes in the last year. They all say yes the mtb, but never get in the bike and always decline a offer for a ride.

Interesting thread.. Also started cycling in 2011. A lot of friends who rode with me back then lost interest and moved on to other things. But I think the sport is bigger than ever, made a lot of new friends instead.

Looking at all the new bike shops, new races and just how hard it is to get an Argus entry (until recently you had weeks to do an entry), not even talking about sani2c. I think the sport is bigger than ever and still growing.

Back in 2011 a colleague tried to get me to take up golf instead (said its better for networking), now I find myself mtb'ing with our ceo from time to time!

I got my 1st mtb end of 2011 ( not counting my raleigh in school) and since then loads of friends and family all got bikes. Eventually it was easy to find 2 or 3 people for a casual 40+ km ride. I have since moved up a bit in my technical ability, race distance and overall fitness, doing a minimum of 1 race a month and staring to commute to work full time too.Forward to today, probably 80% of those friends and family have not been on their bikes in the last year. They all say yes the mtb, but never get in the bike and always decline a offer for a ride, never race.This got me thinking, was it a phase for most of the loads of south africans? With only a small percentage actually really taking up the sport?I love this sport and while i am no race snake, i plan to continue building skills and fitness and compete more on the stage race terrain this coming year.

Feel sorry for that 80% !!

I got that feeling 24 years ago, it hasn't let up even one bit since...!

Archived