Seat Tubeless Tires without a Compressor - Buid your Own!

Tankman

Not sure. Think it's 20bar. It seats any wheel on any rim in split seconds. You must just carefully regulate the speed of the CO2 when you open the valve.

And after the tire is inflated, I just deflate and inflate a couple of times with a normal pump just to let all the CO2 gas out

ooooh, so you're using a prefilled cannister. not filling it up with your floorpump.

this is the same as using a sodastream bottle (which is more expensive than paintball cannisters, there's a hack for that too)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooh, so you're using a prefilled cannister. not filling it up with your floorpump.

this is the same as using a sodastream bottle (which is more expensive than paintball cannisters, there's a hack for that too)

Thats it yes. The same as they use with paintball guns. Costs R40 to refill the cannister. But think it will last me a while.

Not sure. Think it's 20bar. It seats any wheel on any rim in split seconds. You must just carefully regulate the speed of the CO2 when you open the valve.

And after the tire is inflated, I just deflate and inflate a couple of times with a normal pump just to let all the CO2 gas out

But... most paintball arenas will give you the option, CO2 or normal air, so you could have these canisters filled / pressurized with air instead of CO2.

Edit: Doing some research reveals that this may not be entirely safe either (filling a CO2 tank with HPA)

Edited by Bobbo_SA

As shown earlier in this thread, this strap method has served me well even with difficult tyre rim combinations (this method can be used on car/bakkie/truck/tractor tyres as well, provided that you use stronger shackles and belts and remove tension as soon as bead has set, before inflating further):

post-4006-1423215038,6251.jpg

But... most paintball arenas will give you the option, CO2 or normal air, so you could have these canisters filled / pressurized with air instead of CO2.

Thanks for this info, will definitely ask them if I must have a refill.

A co2 canister can only be filled with co2...you would need a dedicated air bottle to fill with air

I used to play paintball and trust me you do not want to mess with the bottles in the wrong way

A co2 canister can only be filled with co2...you would need a dedicated air bottle to fill with air

I used to play paintball and trust me you do not want to mess with the bottles in the wrong way

Agreed, just been doing some reading up on it as well. Just strange that my local arena gave me the choice when i had my bottle filled the last time.

The main issue with Pressure vessels of any kind is as follows:

Under law steel or aluminium canister is they must be hydro tested every 4 years to beyond working pressure, if they explode they fail, I have seen the result of an alloy scuba tank shooting off, it took the roof off the compressor room but that's besides the point.

CO2 running at 20 Bar if the cylinder cracks it expands to 20x volume and here is where the danger lays, as it adds 20x the volume to a room already filled with air, same applies to a pressurized coke bottle. 

It's a good idea but DANGEROUS, expanding air can cause hearing damage etc even if all the shrapnel misses you, a aluminium pressure vessel should also be handled with care as it is brittle and can ruin the structure and lead to eventual failure if mis handled droppped or generally abused.

Anything with pressure is dangerous, a standard compressor runs at 8 Bar and the big issue with pressurised air is water vapour and corrosion, my compressor at home needs draining and cleaning regularly from the water in it, same will happen to an alloy paint ball container if filled with air.

I was on  the road with the UNOGWAJA and used a scuba tank, filled with dried air and used a standard SCUBA regulator to drop 200 bar down to 8 you can set it up to 10 or 12 if you really want, a little expensive to set up but that is ultimately the safest option. It lasted 2 weeks on the road and even refilled a few car tyres. they come in smaller sizes and some can even go up to 300Bar that amount of air will last a while, but same testing procedure applies. (2nd hand scuba equipment after a bit of a search can be found cheap enough.)

Cost v Safety, Good Idea YES, safe No (Warnings and all appreciated, I wouldn't do it), Maybe immerse the bottle in water and wrap it in a tube to absorb any explosion (Common use in the SCUBA industry)

• 2 years later...

So after a lot of going this way and that I made a fire extinguisher DIY tyre inflator.

Had an old Halon chubb fire extinguisher to use.

Added a presta valve to the top (if I do it again I would use the safety port as the fill port as well.

The hose I got from a cycle shop, and the compressor fitting from builders.

Used it this afternoon to seat the tyres on the SO’s bike.

Will try to post a photo. Cant resize photo’s on my phone ????

• 2 weeks later...

Which port on a extinguisher would you use to full it up with compressed air?

I installed an unneeded presta on the body, but that was before I knew the port on the side of the head could be used.

Think it is known as the emergency vent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My dad made this one. You can see a little better on this one where the ports are

45ca4046dcbd63ab3fb001cfb8dbf1cc.jpg

I can get mine up to 9 BAR and it is still a tad bit under the safe green area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My dad made this one. You can see a little better on this one where the ports are

45ca4046dcbd63ab3fb001cfb8dbf1cc.jpg

I can get mine up to 9 BAR and it is still a tad bit under the safe green area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have basically the same setup.   Just a  bit bigger bottle.  Will try to remember to take  a picture to post. 

Wish I could get it up to pressure of the rated 15-bar.  :devil:  :devil:

But usually only manage  about 8-9 bar.