19/01/2015 Tokai 6am

wepat

No, if you read it, they were eventually let through cos there were so many people and they didn't know what to do...

Agreed that there needs to be some sort of collection routine. Snapscan would work brilliantly.

Yip, have snapscan at a few trails here in the northern suburbs and seems to work well..

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DieBees

Shame, they tried and they lost. Wait for round 2

Relax Eddy. No race invloved here...

Tokai as a battleground. bliksem, can't believe it's coming to that.

And as I read on another thread, if you gently toot your horn to a CT rider, 9 out of 10 times he will give you the finger....

You Slaapstaders should come up to Jozi to learn how to chill  :rolleyes:

Also had a bad experience there with the guards... they are very unfriendly and unhelpful.

You try to be civic and nice to them, but they are just blunt and turn you away...

The trail entry is also insane! 60 bucks for a ride?!?!?!? are you kidding me! Durbanville trails for the WIN!

Otherwise for 60 bucks, I might as well make a drive out to Jonkershoek.

Guest Omega Man

Agreed that there needs to be some sort of collection routine. Snapscan would work brilliantly.

Yes. 1000% agree with you.

Except Sanparks are so completely and utterly useless they'd expect someone to set it up for them, provide the phone that gets the payment notifications and possibly charge the phone too.

Yes. 1000% agree with you.

Except Sanparks are so completely and utterly useless they'd expect someone to set it up for them, provide the phone that gets the payment notifications and possibly charge the phone too.

All they need is an old Nokia 1110 or something - battery lasts 5 years between charges and can only phone / text. Set up an outgoing call block, and a R 30 per month MTN / Cell C / Vodascum contract, and hey presto...

Also had a bad experience there with the guards... they are very unfriendly and unhelpful.

You try to be civic and nice to them, but they are just blunt and turn you away...

The trail entry is also insane! 60 bucks for a ride?!?!?!? are you kidding me! Durbanville trails for the WIN!

Otherwise for 60 bucks, I might as well make a drive out to Jonkershoek.

Never had a problem with them, always friendly, they greet you, offer advice when asked.. maybe its to the cyclists who try skirt rules or look to them to appease frustrations when its got nothing to do with them?

As far as I see, they are just there to check your license or entry slip.. why would you be anything but civil towards them, since you cannot actually question policy with them..

Doing the math, its still cheaper to ride at Tokai if you live in the Southern Suburbs, compared to driving out to Stellies, although with the fuel price trend, that may change.

Jonkers is a whole lot more fun though.

I know of many people who decided to ride Tokai and upon arrival the ticket office has been closed , either early in the morning or late evening.

Long story short, If you manage to get stopped by the rangers from Silvermine side (e.g at the silvermine gate).

The rangers will give you a R500.00 fine for trespassing, and possibly try and arrest you if you give them a hard time, regardless of the circumstances (even if the friendly ranger at the Tokai gate let you through) - Something to keep in mind

Has anyone ever actually been fined though?  In the days before I had an activity card I would sometimes get stopped at Silvermine (after riding up Ou Wapad) and told that I either had to pay or head out onto the road.  It was never a major issue and there was never any mention about fining. 

Never had a problem with them, always friendly, they greet you, offer advice when asked.. maybe its to the cyclists who try skirt rules or look to them to appease frustrations when its got nothing to do with them?

As far as I see, they are just there to check your license or entry slip.. why would you be anything but civil towards them, since you cannot actually question policy with them..

Doing the math, its still cheaper to ride at Tokai if you live in the Southern Suburbs, compared to driving out to Stellies, although with the fuel price trend, that may change.

Jonkers is a whole lot more fun though.

I never said I /we had an issue with SANPARKS or rangers I agree they are always friendly and helpful to me my Rant is we/ my friend wanted to pay but the system of collection of monies/tickets is flawed and needs to be reviewed or improved

Has anyone ever actually been fined though?  In the days before I had an activity card I would sometimes get stopped at Silvermine (after riding up Ou Wapad) and told that I either had to pay or head out onto the road.  It was never a major issue and there was never any mention about fining. 

Yes they have, not sure if it was a festive season thing only or if they are going continue with it, but plenty of fines have been dished out. There has also been mention of someone having a court case in another thread but I don't know anything about that incident.

It seems that SANPARKS is trying their best to discourage people (without Activity Cards) riding there.

It seems that SANPARKS is trying their best to discourage people (without Activity Cards) riding there.

That is pretty much the idea. They should still have a person on duty to monitor that and make sure that people carry their cards.

Archived