Modder Price Increase - @CentralParkMTB

Tbone

I often give the staff that operate the gate a lift on a Saturday morning. Last week I was told that the previous Sunday the gate took cash from 375 cyclists, excluding card entries. However winter time sees a huge drop in numbers. In fact the numbers dwindle after Sani and only really pick up again in November. January is without a doubt the busiest month.

THATS NOT MUCH MONEY :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

WHEN YOU TAKE RUNNING COSTS INTO MIND

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yip and storage.  My boet works in aviation and they have to warn pilots that divert over there about the explosives being stored there. Though it might be an inside joke?

At the top of the long climb (green route) when you look behind you that area is still active the ones in the route are moth balled.

Back in the day (before the MTB routes were even established), I used to enter the reserve through a "back entrance" and have been into some of the old dynamite storage buildings. Most are empty and the one was packed full of old text books.

I often give the staff that operate the gate a lift on a Saturday morning. Last week I was told that the previous Sunday the gate took cash from 375 cyclists, excluding card entries. However winter time sees a huge drop in numbers. In fact the numbers dwindle after Sani and only really pick up again in November. January is without a doubt the busiest month.

That's an impressive  no. of cyclists and good to give staff lifts.

Moneywise, I'm sticking with my original view.

It will be interesting to see if the café makes it, I hope so, its a good facility.

Do you know if we'll get a better (alternative) road to the entrance any time soon from some of this building?

If you are coming from Sandton direction, it will be quicker to go via Marlboro then new section of Centenary Road past Linbro Park then under Guateng tracks just next to reserve entrance.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are coming from Sandton direction, it will be quicker to go via Marlboro then new section of Centenary Road past Linbro Park then under Guateng tracks just next to reserve entrance.

Is this road open yet?

Is this road open yet?

No, still in the making.

I think it might be (assuming it's the same road you guys are referring to-pops you out on the dirt road just before the gate where you pay)

Two weeks ago at the park run they asked us to use the Marlboro entrance, and they said they'd close access for park runners at the Arden road side from 7:50AM

• 9 months later...

I rode Modderfontein Red Route on Saturday 12th December around 2pm and encountered a black hooded snake. Anybody have an idea what snake this is sorry did not hang around to take a picture  :w00t:

Only noticed rhe black arrows with a white outline this morning. What a cool new section. Urban assault kind of stuff, platforms, stairs, under tunnels etc. fascinating to see the old derelict buildings. I am sure there must be interesting stories.

I rode Modderfontein Red Route on Saturday 12th December around 2pm and encountered a black hooded snake. Anybody have an idea what snake this is sorry did not hang around to take a picture  :w00t:

Hectic! On a tar road alongside the reserve, I recently had to swerve for a massive Mole Snake. At least 1.5m long.

I have seen a rinkhals there before, and it reared up and spread its hood.

Isn't much of the place going to be taken over by a Chinese developer. So the park may disappear anyway??

Zendai is the Chinese Company that has bought most of the land in Modderfontein.  They are currently paying the upkeep costs of the reserve as far as I am aware.  They have also promised to preserve the reserve. 

Archived