• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve done 3 K2C.

2 on hard tail and 1 on DS.

Did my fastest K2C on a DS

Too many permutations in that statement Smurfy. Why did you opt for DS? Was your level of fitness and preparation the same all along? Waterpoints, chit-chat, traffic etc? This will be my first K2C and also my 1st long gravel travel. Basically, I'm s$%%^^ myself in the run up to the 20th of Sept. Hill training, endurance, speed, interval and what I feed my face is strictly practiced. GT hardtail is what I'm pitching up with. What, in your opinion, made you go faster on DS if the rule of averages says that Hardtail should be quicker? If you are riding this year "Buena Suerte" (Good luck). Enjoy.

It very much depends on race conditions and what state of mind you are in. Last year I had my best time (4:28) one the heaviest and cheapest bikes I ever rode - a stock Giant Revel. The reason was the weather was fine, I felt good and for some reason I decided to ride the whole thing non stop. I got on the bike in Uniondale and only came off it half way up that bit of dirt next to the stairway where you are supposed to carry your bike up to the N2. Yeah I fell over cause I tried riding it - worked once before.

tl;dr the bike does not matter that much on K2C

Anyone doing their 10th one this year? I'm on my 5th, half way to 10 :D

you should find something else to do, sheez! Its not like they change the route.

Am seriously hacked off.

Undertook to buy an entry last night from someone who sent me this email:

"Will do the release tomorrow morning we experiencing loadshedding at the moment.

Will also send you the banking detailstomorrow.

Dont worry I'll keep ut for you"

HA!

Never happened.

Please I am still looking for 2 entries if anyone has. You can be sure I'll take them and pay for them even though they are for other people.

I DO keep my word.

you should find something else to do, sheez! Its not like they change the route.

I think if you do 10 then you get a bottle of rum or something. So there is that. 

Too many permutations in that statement Smurfy. Why did you opt for DS? Was your level of fitness and preparation the same all along? Waterpoints, chit-chat, traffic etc? This will be my first K2C and also my 1st long gravel travel. Basically, I'm s$%%^^ myself in the run up to the 20th of Sept. Hill training, endurance, speed, interval and what I feed my face is strictly practiced. GT hardtail is what I'm pitching up with. What, in your opinion, made you go faster on DS if the rule of averages says that Hardtail should be quicker? If you are riding this year "Buena Suerte" (Good luck). Enjoy.

My first one I was cycling for 4 months. Did 5:59:36 on hardtail. Started way tooooo fast and bombed on 50km with cramps all the way.

Second I was fitter, moved to DS(just an itch) more experienced. 4:31:10.

3rd one last year on hard tail 5:20 Seat post dropped on ou wapad. Stripped the screw and well the rest of the ride was $%^&* due to seat post dropped. 85km in a different position is #$%^

Dont carry too much food. an Energy bar or 2 will do, food tables have enough. Use the Squirt stand on 70km for chain lube. Drink every 20min, it pays off.  

I focused on hill repeats for the second one. It really paid off. 

Thanks Rouxenator. Aiming for around the same time. I read somewhere that the first and last hills are the worst. Cold legs up no.1 and tired legs up Simola. Otherwise no reason to even think of kicking for touch or lowering the cadence. Will have to wait and experience it for myself.

Thanks Smurfy. I appreciate the inside info and valuable tips. You tube has a few clips, but nothing beats experienced input. Many thanks once again.

There is nothing on that route that requires a DS. In Fact a cyclocross bike will be fine now. They have graded the ou wapad up and down and for the rest it is district dirt roads that are better than a lot of our tar roads these days.

But you were fitter.

Just a little thanks to your input. More wiser, learnt how to pace and eat. You old ballies taught us well. :clap:  

Thanks Smurfy. I appreciate the inside info and valuable tips. You tube has a few clips, but nothing beats experienced input. Many thanks once again.

PM Dick, he a mall bliksem with good advice. Just dont suck his wheel if you not fit. :whistling:  :oops:

This year will be fun for me, switched to 1x10 in January. It worked well for me on Transkaroo but it remains to be seen what time I can manage on K2C

This year will be fun for me, switched to 1x10 in January. It worked well for me on Transkaroo but it remains to be seen what time I can manage on K2C

Don't be a wimp.

1X1 is fun

posted in the classifieds to no avail.

i'm looking for an entry if any of you know of someone who wants to sell

Archived