Dent on chain stay - Weld it?

Enrico84

Hi guys,

Yesterday I bent the chain stay of my GT Zarkas. It was probably a rock or something similar, I am not entirely sure.

See pics here: https://twitter.com/EnricoFerigolli/status/562143554211160064

Now, it doesn't appear like a terrible dent. The tube hasn't bent, there is only a dent, so I am in two minds about what to do next.

I found this guy who think he can help: http://www.smartcoprojects.co.za/

But the question is: can you actually weld a dented aluminium tube, and is it even worth it?? Is there a risk that I am actually making it worse?

Thanks

I am confused, you say you bent the chainstay in your first line, then in your third paragraph you say that the tube hasn't bent. It does look bent to me. Its probably a good idea to take it to your bike shop to have it looked at, if it isnt bent then its probably best to just ride it, welding could just make things worse.

I am confused, you say you bent the chainstay in your first line, then in your third paragraph you say that the tube hasn't bent. It does look bent to me. Its probably a good idea to take it to your bike shop to have it looked at, if it isnt bent then its probably best to just ride it, welding could just make things worse.

Sorry what I was meant to say is that there is a dent but the tube is not bent. It might look bent but it is actually just the shape it is made in

The Zaskar has hydroformed tubes, so that "bend" you see is the standard tube profile. Just the dent that's a bit non-standard. 

The Zaskar has hydroformed tubes, so that "bend" you see is the standard tube profile. Just the dent that's a bit non-standard. 

Yep that's it. No bends, just a dent.

I personally don't see how aluminium can be welded back into shape. I think it can only make it weaker but happy to hear your POV guys

Just leave it as is. Any extra 'fixing' will probably just make it weaker, esp welding which will affect the heat treatment on the alu. 

Personally, I would check very carefully that the chain stay is not bent on the wheel side, hard to see in the pic if it is just a dent on the outer surface.

If it is bent, mmmmmm, I would be reluctant to straighten it, it will be very weak at that point. If just dented, I am sure those folks at smartcoprojects could weld on a light cover/brace.

I am a heavy guy though, so would worry about that dent. Perhaps a hubber with an engineering background will give you a more definitive answer.

Hope you get you ride sorted, and sorry for your misfortune, but your link to the fabricators has helped me too. I will be using them for motorcycle projects!

Welding a dent is a waste of time, and you'd also have to heat treat the frame otherwise it would weaken it at that point.

Ride it, if it breaks then claim from insurance and buy a new frame. A busted chainstay won't make you fall off.

If it is the look you are worried about, can't you fill it with normal body putty, sand it down and respray.

If it is the look you are worried about, can't you fill it with normal body putty, sand it down and respray.oh

Oh no, I don't care about the look at all!

I am just worried about the reliability of that bike during Sani2C! I can see it failing out of the Umkomaas valley and having to walk for a long long time

Oh no, I don't care about the look at all!

I am just worried about the reliability of that bike during Sani2C! I can see it failing out of the Umkomaas valley and having to walk for a long long time

Then maybe some kind of splint to reinforce it could work. But I recommend attaching it without welding or drilling holes which could weaken it further.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pmJR_dr4vi0/U9zw0_vfGRI/AAAAAAAAC4Y/4nixshnhAkw/s1600/20140801_171334.jpg

This improvisation got a guy home instead of having to walk 20 miles.

http://otbmbc.smugmug.com/photos/354286530_pZNAr-L.jpg

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Good advice for most areas of life.

Really sound advice.More people should apply that logic

Archived