Using a GoPro during races: Allowed??

wazi

So I ride with a GoPro, sometimes on me and sometimes on my bike.

I know that CSA says that for mountain bike races:

Cameras: No form of camera may be mounted or worn by the rider on any part of the body, and may also not be mounted on the helmet of a rider.

The regulations for road races have no provision or mention of wearable devices.

However at the Berg en Dal race recently one of the marshals on the route told me that I was NOT allowed to have my GoPro on my bike and that I should take it off.  After protesting they said they would do me a "favor" and let me keep it on.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Isn't that what Schumacher had on his helmet... And something about the case being unbreakable hence why you are not meant to have in races, especially on your helmet

Yes you are allowed to use them in races, just not allowed to attach them to helmet or body. Handlebars/ saddle are fine

Isn't that what Schumacher had on his helmet... And something about the case being unbreakable hence why you are not meant to have in races, especially on your helmet

that is correct, infact reports says its the go pro that caused his head injuries

Yeah I can definitely see how having the camera on you is a problem if you come off but having it attached to your bike during a road race?  Yeah...think this dude was just on a power trip.  Will print a copy of the regulations and take with me on the road :)

My wife was instructed to remove gopro from her handlebars at a XCO race last year.

It was direclty from the commisaire, and I did not protest. I also did not go back to read the regs. To me having a camera mounted on the bike is no problem. I understand the helet and body rule.

Unfortunately there are some weird rules out there with even weirder interpretations. Like the "join the trail where you exited it" in Downhil....where sometimes it's humanly impossible to rejoin unless you employ outside assistance, from a mountainclimber or a helicopter...

My wife was instructed to remove gopro from her handlebars at a XCO race last year. It was direclty from the commisaire, and I did not protest. I also did not go back to read the regs. To me having a camera mounted on the bike is no problem. I understand the helet and body rule. Unfortunately there are some weird rules out there with even weirder interpretations. Like the "join the trail where you exited it" in Downhil....where sometimes it's humanly impossible to rejoin unless you employ outside assistance, from a mountainclimber or a helicopter...

Seems some commisaires don't know their jobs properly. The top 10 teams in the epic all have to have a GoPro mounted to the bike somewhere. So why must they have one yet your wife can't? And I bet if you had protested they would have DQ'd her so you probably did the "right" thing.

How about for the Cape Town Cycle Tour? I don't see anything in the rules and regs. so I'm assuming it's no problem if mounted on the bike.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone give me a valid reason why you can't mount a GoPro or similar on your body or helmet?

Seems some commisaires don't know their jobs properly. The top 10 teams in the epic all have to have a GoPro mounted to the bike somewhere. So why must they have one yet your wife can't

It is not a safety issue, it is a commercial one.

The media and broadcast rights are sold off exclusively and allowing other to video the event transgresses the rights of the media right owners.

It is not a safety issue, it is a commercial one.

The media and broadcast rights are sold off exclusively and allowing other to video the event transgresses the rights of the media right owners.

yes, it was UCI / Epic GoPro footage that got Kevin Evans penalised last year for taking that shortcut and swearing at competitors. If a race has TV rights, there will probably be something prohibiting the use of cameras to record any part of the event, unless specifically sanctioned by the event / ruling body. 

Can anyone give me a valid reason why you can't mount a GoPro or similar on your body or helmet?

The camera mount creates a weak spot on the helmet, even if the camera breaks off, and a arm mount / chest mount can potentially be very dangerous if you come off at high speed. It would be like falling on a rock as the casing is made to withstand a sudden impact. 

Archived