Steenbras Dam Viewpoint Everest Attempt 15th Feb 2015

bodger

Definition: An Everest attempt is doing repeats of a hill or mountain equal to the height of Mt. Everest in a single ride.

A friend and I are going to do an everest attempt on the Steenbras viewpoint climb on Sunday 15th Feb. Anybody who is interested is welcome to join. Even if its just for a few reps, any company would be welcome.

Start Time: 5:00

Place: https://goo.gl/maps/iKMIB

The rules: http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/

General summary:
Total elevation required 8848m
Must be 1 long ride.
Not a loop, reps of the same hill only.
Each rep must be complete not part reps but the last 1 can be cut short when elevation is reached.
Can be a group ride.

Stats for Steenbras Dam climb: https://www.strava.com/segments/8907236
Single rep elevation: 256m
Single rep distance: 3.4km
Average gradient: 7%
Number of reps required: 35
Distance covered up hill: 119km
Total distance covered: 238km

ETA based on 24mins per rep, 14hours ex feed stops. (20mins up at 10km/h avg, 3:45 mins down at 52km/h avg).

After doing a 4 rep test last night it looks like we can hold an average up time of 18m30s (11km/h) for quite a while but who knows what we will feel like after 6 hours in the saddle.

Disclaimer:

1. The climb is on an open public road. Anyone riding there does so at their own risk.

2. We cannot offer food and water support to any other riders, We will have a support vehicle that can be used to store stuff though.

AWESOME! How long have you been planning this one?

Umm I had bad flu on Monday the 26th Jan, While I was lying there hoping not to die I decided if I made it through I would have to do something to celebrate my love of cycling. 

Doing an Everest attempt seemed like the most obvious choice. So I planned it for the next available weekend and since I was doing the Oak Valley 24H and the 99er the 15th Feb was the best option.

Hmmm, been looking to do this for quite some time, wonder if doing it on the mtb will be easier with the smaller gears..

Another challenge that you will kick up the butt. :w00t:  :clap:

Hmmm, been looking to do this for quite some time, wonder if doing it on the mtb will be easier with the smaller gears..

I'm going to use my roadie but with a 33-32T ring (std compact small ring is 34T) and 11-28T cassette.

My friend will be riding a stock standard Giant Propel with 34x28 but he is a good deal lighter than me.

If you don't mind the extra saddle time MTB gearing will be easier but I want to finish in 15 hours.

Edited by bodger

I am out on this one. @ 97kg and old school gears it will be a beast lightest gearing I have is 39-25. Not so much. Especially after how I felt this morning.

All the best!

It can be windy up there with a headwind on the ascent in summer.

Hope the wind gods smile on your Everest-ing challenge.