Thule Fixed Tow Bar

Funky

I just went through this with my Golf 7. There wasn't any stock of the car I wanted  with a factory fitted tow bar and I couldn't wait for 1 to be made and shipped to South Africa.

The factory fitted towbar is a fold away kind. If you approach VW to fit one , they can't do the fold away tow bar but can help you with a fixed or detachable towbar. Price will be in the R10k range (towbar, wiring kit, labour).

Bosal & Thule both have fixed and detachable tow bars and all of them require a bumper cut.I couldn't find a single option that didn't cut the bumper.

I settled on the Thule detachable - happy so far, thou the bummer cut is noticeable if you remove the towbar, it is  a lot higher than I original thought it would be. Apparently you can buy from VW a bumper panel that has the tow bar space molded in.

Like everybody else I would put the wiring in, it's less than grand and will save you hassles later in life.

Edited by PURE

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, i am in the same boat. Need to fit a towbar on my golf 7 gti. Quote from dealer is 11.5k excl labor to install. Still have wqrranty which i want to keep. Any other options as towbar SA want between 4 and 5k for their unit. But warranty will fall away.

• 2 years later...

Those ones that don't have the lights are the ones that the bike is secured on via clamping the top tube. They not very safe, iv seen plenty bikes get damaged when going over bumps or slopes and the wheels get knocked on the ground. Better choice would be the ride on or euro series.

thule racks fitted to tow bars come in 2 types

platform

and hanging

the platforms normally have lights and a place for a number plate

the hanging ones dont

thule racks fitted to tow bars come in 2 types

platform

and hanging

the platforms normally have lights and a place for a number plate

the hanging ones dont

so the platform one should work?

• 3 months later...