Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm baffled as to why the CSA can't answers questions with a straight answer. ONLY yes or no, can CSA members with racing licences ride the CTCT without contravening the rules? That's all!

So does that mean:

1 - that PPA will only need to pay the R6 for CSA licensed members and wont need to pay for non CSA members?

OR

2. Must everyone have CSA license \ day license to get the event sanctioned? Meaning its a combination between R6 and R35 per person.

CSA got there of their own volition - corruption, misplaced spending and greed

As did PPA - through proper financial management, controlled spending and restraint. 

CSA wanted PPA's cash to get them out of the dwang. That's part of the reason for the lawsuit last year. 

Buenos dias, El Capitan

I feel pity on those subjected to this mess. Good luck and may cycling and cyclist alike benefit in the end. Right now CSA is hunting for the PESOS it seems. Nobody wins and the wilted, bald-headed, faceless members that is CSA should rather remember that no-one is bigger than the Sport of Cycling, ever (ask Lance). CSA, you need friends, you will need them one day. Hiding/Drafting behind a UCI ruling for the PESOS is not very Ayoba of you. "Tienes la cara como una nevera por detras" (you have the face like the back of fridge). Stop it. Enough already. Give the contenders a fair sport. Politics not needed or wanted. 

i just seen an email - chair of ppa confirms that ppa exco refuse to apply for sanctioning as it would make a mockery of the judgement handed down in their favour. csa must abide by uci rules - so it looks as if they are waiting for each other to blink. 

You find these types of battles everywhere where you have "serious competitors" vs "hobbyists" organisations. They usually start as one organisation, then a split and then the serious competitors organisation goes under as there are more hobbyists than serious competitors. Sad bad that is how i have seen it.

Seen it happening with Koi organisations world wide. Another hobby of mine is / was keeping show quality koi..yes the ornamental fish. So i was one of the serious competitors...

The way I understand it:

1.  R 6 per rider for the entire field goes to CSA as the fee for sanctioning the race (paid by race organizer)

2.  R35 per rider for every rider who is NOT a member of CSA for the day license (not paid by race organizer but by the rider)

i just seen an email - chair of ppa confirms that ppa exco refuse to apply for sanctioning as it would make a mockery of the judgement handed down in their favour. csa must abide by uci rules - so it looks as if they are waiting for each other to blink. 

CSA has its head in the sand like the ANC

The way I understand it:

1.  R 6 per rider for the entire field goes to CSA as the fee for sanctioning the race (paid by race organizer)

2.  R35 per rider for every rider who is NOT a member of CSA for the day license (not paid by race organizer but by the rider)

i believe those fees were dropped this year in light of the court ruling

i believe those fees were dropped this year in light of the court ruling

They were dropped because the event is not sanctioned by CSA. If it were, the fees would need to be paid.

Think this is going end up been a personal decision and yes the cyclist are just the pawns here while CSA / UCI and PPA enjoy their conflict.

So as a Licensed cyclist you need to decide whether to ride  the Cape Town Cycle tour with the knowledge that if you do you could face a fine and a 1 month suspension. If you suspened this would mean you cannot to the ABSA Cape Epic for argument sake.

The other side of the coin is you just don’t ride the Cape Town Cycle tour. If all licences cyclist choose this option what impact would it have on the Cape Town Cycle tour - some may argue non - so no problem for the Cape Town cycle tour! Some would argue it devalues the event as for one example the local fun rider cannot compare his / her times to the best riders in the country. But was would be quite amusing is when the gun goes off at 6:15 for the $ cat their ZERO cyclist to starts - same for the vets and ladies groups. I am sure the media interest in watching the average fun rider will be somewhat limited!

Edited by Icycling

I'm sure sponsors of those licensed riders will want their exposure in the largest timed event in .......the world

don't ride, loose sponsor

ride and get fined 50-100 swiss francs and a months suspension. from epic dinges.

Doesn't affect epic dinges as those teams are not UCI registered and the ruling only aplies to UC registered riders ON UCI REGISTERED TEAMS so storm in a tea cup from that perspective.

next classic is paris roubaix which is 11th April......loh looky just in time to serve out suspension and go race

leeekkkkkeeeeerrr  boytjie

I'm baffled as to why the CSA can't answers questions with a straight answer. ONLY yes or no, can CSA members with racing licences ride the CTCT without contravening the rules? That's all!

I have had a reply from CSA on this matter. If you are a licensed rider and ride with the seeded groups or if you are a licensed rider and riding as a fun rider you will face sanctioning as per UCI penalties. 1 month ban or a monetary penalty or possibly a combination of both.

CSA has informed me that they are currently in negotiations with the UCI around the above. They expect an answer today.

I read someones comment earlier that the PPA/CTCT refuse to sanction the event as it would make a mockery of the court ruling. This is ridiculous as we the cyclists are suffering just because these bodies who are empowered through all of our contributions cannot reach compromises to satisfy their paid up members. 

I feel that all paid up cyclists are in some form or other shareholders of a bigger picture and that we as shareholders are losing huge value.

The management of these concerns should take cognizance of this fact.

Maybe Helen Zille should get involved as I am sure the debacle is not good for the Cape Town Brand.

Edited by gypsy

Think this is going end up been a personal decision and yes the cyclist are just the pawns here while CSA / UCI and PPA enjoy their conflict.

So as a Licensed cyclist you need to decide whether to ride  the Cape Town Cycle tour with the knowledge that if you do you could face a fine and a 1 month suspension. If you suspened this would mean you cannot to the ABSA Cape Epic for argument sake.

By the time CSA figured out which licensed riders did, or didn't do the CTCT, the 2015 Epic will be a thing of the past. Judging by their track record...