Vinyl Records/LP's.

Wyatt Earp

I'll agree with the expensive part. Started with a cheap used Pioneer TT and NAD amp and ended up with some new equipment, the cost of which I don't want to think about :) ...and I don't think it'd be considered to be anywhere near high end stuff by those in the know, either. Sounds nice, though.

I do like popping into second hand shops or markets and looking through some of the older stuff on vinyl. Some definitely bring back memories.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man i have some of the sickest *** on vynil.

now if only both my sl1210's weren't broken...

i'd be raving the *** out of my neighbours all nights of the week ekse.

but now they are now... and everyone is using cdj's... or worse... ****** laptops!

My Dad bought a Lenco L75 when they arrived in SA in 1968. 20 years ago he passed it on to me, well used. But with a whole lot of house moves, it got into a state of disrepair.

Last year his 'modern' turntable gave up the ghost and after waiting for parts for six months was pronounced dead. To coincide with his 70th birthday and retirement I gave the Lenco a rebuild and returned it to him.

attachicon.gifIMG_0721.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0724.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0705.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0711.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0704.JPG

It is not a Linn but the warmth of the sound, the nostalgia of music and the history of the table make listening to it just magical.

That is truly a thing of beauty. Wow... that's impressive.

My Dad bought a Lenco L75 when they arrived in SA in 1968. 20 years ago he passed it on to me, well used. But with a whole lot of house moves, it got into a state of disrepair.

Last year his 'modern' turntable gave up the ghost and after waiting for parts for six months was pronounced dead. To coincide with his 70th birthday and retirement I gave the Lenco a rebuild and returned it to him.

attachicon.gifIMG_0721.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0724.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0705.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0711.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0704.JPG

It is not a Linn but the warmth of the sound, the nostalgia of music and the history of the table make listening to it just magical.

Awesome  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Wyatt....what's your opinion of the sl1200...they were the bees knees back in the day. We used them at my university radio station back then and the clarity was incredible then...I see you can pick them up for 2 to 4k second hand

They are not bad, the issue really is the tonearm, it's more of a DJ arm.

All a turntable has to do is spin at a constant speed, eliminate any external vibration, in other words, have good damping and the rest is up to the arm and cartridge.

The real money comes in when you try and get the damping right .

Some turntables use a big plinth, this Lenco here being a superb example, other use suspension, almost like fork springs, many different damping and anti-vibration materials.

Some tonearms like my SME V even have a damping tray for damping oil to stop the stylus from getting too excited.

The stylus is another thing that adds to the dilemma, moving magnet or moving coil, low or high output.

The tip, cantilever and suspension rubbers or coils all add to exceptional audio reproduction .

Expect to pay up to R 150 k for the best of cartridges . 

Its the best of the budget models - good reviews, solid build and looks sleek :)

I got back to vinyl a good few years back with a NOS Rega 3.

This I soon ditched for a Project RPM 9 X

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpg/project_rpm9x.jpg

That I ditched and got myself my first Avid, the Diva.

http://www.uptownaudio.com/avid/AVID_diva.jpg

I have stuck with the Avid range ever since  :thumbup:

I have about 800 LPs and some 7 Singles.

I have a Linn LP12 with Ittok LVII and Ortofon 2M Bronze.  I restored the LP12 myself and gave it a springs/grommet service.  Pre-Cirkus bearing.  Updated the power supply to a Hercules 2 unit.

Power amp is a Krell KSA50 clone that I built myself using passive cooling.

Speakers are old B&W Matrix 1s.  Someone promised me a set of Ruark Crusader 2s as soon as the one driver is sorted.

Edited by Moridin

I have about 800 LPs and some 7 Singles.

I have a Linn LP12 with Ittok LVII and Ortofon 2M Bronze.  I restored the LP12 myself and gave it a springs/grommet service.  Pre-Cirkus bearing.  Updated the power supply to a Hercules 2 unit.

Power amp is a Krell KSA50 clone that I built myself using passive cooling.

Speakers are old B&W Matrix 1s.  Someone promised me a set of Ruark Crusader 2s as soon as the one driver is sorted.

The Ortofon 2M Bronze is a special gem .

Vinyl is for old people that cant understand MP3's.

I'm old and have never owned a record player other than the one my parents bought for me when I was a little pukkie listening to noddy records... I do remember finding one of my Dad's Beetle records and playing it once...maybes that's why I never got into it....

I just like the rawness of the record. It has personality. My current record player sucks but it is something that I will spend some tom on as soon as I can.

The audio game is a crazy game, lot's of sharks running around, most of the serious audiophiles are a closed knit community of real world friends.

Find those guys, let them teach you the ropes and you are on your way to vinyl nirvana.

Friend just brought me Metallica S&M on vinyl on perfect condition yesterday.

Don't even know I had recently purchased a '67 Lenco L75 in a Blaupunkt wooden case. Thing of beauty, and it still fascinates me every day. 

Nice one!!! That friend is a keeper :)

The audio game is a crazy game, lot's of sharks running around, most of the serious audiophiles are a closed knit community of real world friends.

Find those guys, let them teach you the ropes and you are on your way to vinyl nirvana.

On this note, a special and very PUBLIC thank you to you Sheriff and a Very special mention as well to DIPSY for his involvement and advise as well.

By the end of next week, i should be the very proud owner of the following system:

Dali Ikon 5 Speakers

Rega RP3 Turntable

Ortofon Mc Quintet Blue Cartridge

Exclame 100 Amplifier.

I cant wait.

Again, to the two Gentlemen in Question....Thank you for your advise and guidance.

I truly appreciate it.

I am so excited i have already picked up 3 of my all time favourite albums on Vinyl in anticipation.

Guys, thanks. :thumbup:

On this note, a special and very PUBLIC thank you to you Sheriff and a Very special mention as well to DIPSY for his involvement and advise as well.

By the end of next week, i should be the very proud owner of the following system:

Dali Ikon 5 Speakers

Rega RP3 Turntable

Ortofon Mc Quintet Blue Cartridge

Exclame 100 Amplifier.

I cant wait.

Again, to the two Gentlemen in Question....Thank you for your advise and guidance.

I truly appreciate it.

I am so excited i have already picked up 3 of my all time favourite albums on Vinyl in anticipation.

Guys, thanks. :thumbup:

I hate you so much  :whistling:  :clap: