Cyclist Down Franshoek Pass

tyger

Strange comments from ems. Both parties was travelling in opposite direction. It happenend on a hairpin bend. easy cop out to blame cyclist, they passed me 5min before the incident and they where riding single file behind one another. ...

Were the cyclists going up the hill or down ?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the cyclists were goin downhill, I can understand the cutting corner comment. If both where goong downhill, I'd say it would be impossible for a bus to travel at the same speed as a cyclist.

People will not consider us as equal road users, as long as we do not honour the rules of the road as they do.

I would really like to know how the "cyclist cut the corner" going up hill? It would mean they rode in the oncoming traffic lane then, highly unlikely!

Dove past all three the cyclists heading down the pass (away from Franschoek). Triathletes were both riding single file as far our of the way as possible. The third cyclist is a friend of mine who was a bit further back, but caught up right before the accident.

I spoke to him just now and he said he was busy doing intervals. When he looked up during a recovery period, he saw the bus coming around the corner with only its two outer wheels on the road (ie busy tipping over). He swerved to prevent being hit as the bus was tipping.

Brakes on bus failed, also going waay too fast according to other motorists. Bus actually tipped onto two wheels and hit cyclists. Sad to lose lives, but these bus drivers seem to not care about other peoples lives.

Someone should contact Mr Dick that made the comment above and make him swallow his own ...... :ph34r:

@cal where the cyclists going up hil and the bus down?

I hope they correct the news report as no matter what the truth end up being, people will now blame cyclists for this

Tragic news.... As mentioned above, if cyclists going uphill, we all know that it's almost impossible that they cut the corner. Just doesn't make sense. Much more likely that the motorist went wide if coming downhill.

If the cyclists were going downhill, then yes, I would say it's possible that they might have cut the corner, but this sounds dodgy.

IF the bus driver is at fault through negelence, the driver needs to be held accountable end of story.

Archived