Nicko

Hey guys 

So I'm going to Europe in May/June for a short trip and to do a bit of riding in Switzerland and Italy. And I was thinking of getting a bike while I was over there.

Currently I race Enduro and Downhill, I'm not going for the podium, but I do aim to always improve my times and my overall position. 

For Enduro I ride a 26" Giant Trance 2012, it's pretty well kitted out...

For Downhill I ride a Giant Glory 01, it's a 2011, fairly stock.

I'm toying with the idea of selling both of these to buy a Canyon Spectral Al 6.0 Race...

post-41965-0-59819500-1426503044_thumb.jpg

post-41965-0-71316200-1426503597_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons is that my trance doesn't seem to be able to cut it anymore, when I'm going really fast through bumpy stuff with the Revelation fork it just doesn't quite cut it. So I toyed with the idea of getting a Pike, but that's a 10grand fork on it's own. 

And i think it will be capable for downhill, cause most of the tracks in KZN aren't too gnarly, and I don't do the big jumps yet (that's the main reason). So it could possibly be faster for me in face

I know a lot of people are going to say get the YT Capra, but the availability of that bike is an issue, I won't be able to get it in time. I think this Canyon Strive is definitely in the same bracket of bike... 

So what do you guys think about my plan? Any insight will be helpful... 

If this is the bike that changes at the flick of a switch, stop towying with the idea and buy the damn thing.

Would be the first bike on my list if I had to pick "one bike".

What is the pricing looking like?

If this is the bike that changes at the flick of a switch, stop towying with the idea and buy the damn thing.

Would be the first bike on my list if I had to pick "one bike".

What is the pricing looking like?

Yeah I didn't mention that. Changes the rear travel from 160mm to 130mm, stiffens it up, changes head angle and seat angle by 1.5 deg.

Price is around 36k in Europe incl delivery to wherever in Europe, hoping I get it back in without paying VAT and duties... 

Yeah I didn't mention that. Changes the rear travel from 160mm to 130mm, stiffens it up, changes head angle and seat angle by 1.5 deg.

Price is around 36k in Europe incl delivery to wherever in Europe, hoping I get it back in without paying VAT and duties... 

Go to Cash Converters and buy a R500 piece of junk, box it and then miraculously it will transform into a Strive in Europe.

R36k is insane money for that bike!

Go to Cash Converters and buy a R500 piece of junk, box it and then miraculously it will transform into a Strive in Europe.

R36k is insane money for that bike!

That's the plan :) 

Yeah I know these direct bike suppliers (Canyon & YT) destroy the competition in terms of value for money! 

Thinking of doing this next year. Go to Munich to visit some peeps, bring back a Canyon, or a YT, or a Nicolai.

Thinking of doing this next year. Go to Munich to visit some peeps, bring back a Canyon, or a YT, or a Nicolai.

Yeah man, it's like 8k for the flight. So your savings on the bike price definitely pay for the flight at very least, if not the full trip...

Of course once you're back here you don't have any support from a local agent, but it's a risk I'm willing to take...

I'm looking to get a trail bike around May/June, bring a Canyon back for me too?

I dropped them an email last week about getting a bike shipped here and they said they can do it. The cost of getting it here is high though. They said 14.20 euros for that bikeguard packaging they do and then 399 euros for the shipping. That is still a heck of deal for what you getting but once you add the 15% import tax and VAT as well you looking at 10 grand or more to get it here. 

I'd be a bit sceptical about bring a Capra back, especially if its the carbon model. Go have a read in the YT Capra Owners forum on pinkbike, there still seems to be a few niggels with build quality and things and quite a few complaints about the BOS suspension. I think they might have sorted the frame issues out but would still sit in the back of my mind. 

I'm looking to get a trail bike around May/June, bring a Canyon back for me too?

I dropped them an email last week about getting a bike shipped here and they said they can do it. The cost of getting it here is high though. They said 14.20 euros for that bikeguard packaging they do and then 399 euros for the shipping. That is still a heck of deal for what you getting but once you add the 15% import tax and VAT as well you looking at 10 grand or more to get it here.

I'd be a bit sceptical about bring a Capra back, especially if its the carbon model. Go have a read in the YT Capra Owners forum on pinkbike, there still seems to be a few niggels with build quality and things and quite a few complaints about the BOS suspension. I think they might have sorted the frame issues out but would still sit in the back of my mind.

I wouldn't do it if I had to pay Vat and duties cause then you're paying not much less than local bikes and you have no local support!

Yeah there were problems with the Capra seatstays, but they have been revised now! I was looking at a Alu version anyway... And the BOS suspension is only on the most expensive version.

I'll be getting the Canyon because it will be available in time... If I still go to Europe, like 70% chance.

As soon as I book tickets though, I'll buy the bike

So if I did get this bike.

There is the 6.0 Race & 7.0 Race, which are about R5k difference, and the difference in spec is:

Pike RC                             -          Pike RCT3

Monach Plus R                  -          Monarch Plus RC3

Sram Roam 30                  -          DT Swiss E 1700 (21mm ID vs 25mm ID)

Sram Guide R                    -         SRAM Guide RS

Sram X1 Rear Derailleur    -         Sram X01

Sram X1 Cranks                 -         Race Face Turbine

Sram BB                             -         Race Face Turbine BB

Canyon Stem                     -          Renthal Apex

Canyon Bars                      -          Renthal Fat Bar

Total weight savings is only 200g, which is not much...

The only real reason I would go with the more expensive 7.0, is the wheels.

I feel DT Swiss is likely to be more reliable, although I've heard good things about the new Sram wheels, and then I'm liking the sound of the wider rims.

The Guide RS does have the swinglink tech which the Guide R doesn't, I've read some reviews rating the swinglink tech as very good!

I don't feel the difference in the suspension is much. And the Renthal and Race Face stuff is nice I guess...  

Edited by Nicko

So if I did get this bike.

There is the 6.0 Race & 7.0 Race, which are about R5k difference, and the difference in spec is:

Pike RC                             -          Pike RCT3

Monach Plus R                  -          Monarch Plus RC3

Sram Roam 30                  -          DT Swiss E 1700 (21mm ID vs 25mm ID)

Sram Guide R                    -         SRAM Guide RS

Sram X1 Rear Derailleur    -         Sram X01

Sram X1 Cranks                 -         Race Face Turbine

Sram BB                             -         Race Face Turbine BB

Canyon Stem                     -          Renthal Apex

Canyon Bars                      -          Renthal Fat Bar

Total weight savings is only 200g, which is not much...

The only real reason I would go with the more expensive 7.0, is the wheels.

I feel DT Swiss is likely to be more reliable, although I've heard good things about the new Sram wheels, and then I'm liking the sound of the wider rims.

The Guide RS does have the swinglink tech which the Guide R doesn't, I've read some reviews rating the swinglink tech as very good!

I don't feel the difference in the suspension is much. And the Renthal and Race Face stuff is nice I guess...  

DEFINITELY get the higher spec one! Well worth the extra 5k!!!

• 1 month later...

So I ordered the higher spec Canyon Strive Al 7.0 Race

And it's been delivered to my mate in Italy already, so I'll be picking her up in 2 weeks. Super excited. 

Here's a pic from my mate, it's unassembled and doesn't look like much. But I can't wait to see how she rides

post-41965-0-70580900-1430830382_thumb.jpg

Otherwise I will be selling my 2012 Giant Trance X2 if anyone is interested... It's pretty well specced with Easton Haven rims, 1x10 drivetrain, KS Lev dropper etc... I'll advertise it soon. 

Edited by Nicko

Very nice dude, sure that is going to ride like a beast. You got to post some more pics when you get it, just to make us all even more jealous!

Very nice dude, sure that is going to ride like a beast. You got to post some more pics when you get it, just to make us all even more jealous!

Thanks man, I will do, and I'll post some gopro footage of riding in Cimone Bike Park in Italy... Should be good  :clap:

Thanks man, I will do, and I'll post some gopro footage of riding in Cimone Bike Park in Italy... Should be good  :clap:

Awesome...because I wasn't already jealous enough. haha