MTB etiquette on trails

tanyad

Hi

Newbie, so need to know what the correct etiquette is, if you are travelling in the same direction it is keep left pass right. If you are coming in opposite direction on the same trail, my assumption would have been, pass one another on the right (as you would driving a car), but this weekend (my first ride) someone said "wrong side" and now I'm not sure. What is the correct etiquette?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is on a bi-directional trail, keep lef,t pass right remains true.

If on a bi-directional singletrack, the rider ascending has right of way.

If travelling on the spruit...who ever shouts STRAVAA first has right of way...

The last sentence is tounge in cheek

Not 100% sure that there is a rule like this.

When I meet others on the trail I just do my best to allow them past as easily as possible. Being polite doesn't cost you much and I am not really making the guys on the podium nervous anyway.

If it is on a bi-directional trail, keep lef,t pass right remains true.

If on a bi-directional singletrack, the rider ascending has right of way.

If travelling on the spruit...who ever shouts STRAVAA first has right of way...

The last sentence is tounge in cheek

Not always the case re ascending rider. Depends on the rules of the trail centre itself.

If no signage, then ascending riders have ROW, but it's never good to just assume. Tokai, for instance, stipulates descending riders have ROW In all circumstances

Tanya keep left when you can, however if as the noob there's an easier / safer line for you to take on the right - do so - the more experienced guys will say passing left/right and make their way around you. ( for guys traveling in the same direction that is)

Ps where was this?

Ok, so it was on the R540 (Kromdraai Rd - Lanseria), near the Lion and Rhino Park, there is a trail which runs parallel to the road.

Don't want to start my new hobby off by causing accidents!

Ok, so it was on the R540 (Kromdraai Rd - Lanseria), near the Lion and Rhino Park, there is a trail which runs parallel to the road.

Don't want to start my new hobby off by causing accidents!

That trail is directional.

You have to follow the direction of the trail. It starts at Kloofzicht, and ends at the circle where Beyers Naude ends.

If you travel in the opposite direction of the signposted trail markings you are essentially going against the flow of traffic, thus the person's response of "wrong way"

Thanks very much, that explains it, must keep a better look out for the signposts and not just start somewhere along a trail. :-)

And here I thought choosing the correct bike and riding it, was my biggest challenge- I clearly have a lot to learn :-)

And single tracks???

Always best to keep left, as for somebody passing in singletrack, hold your line, leave a gap if you can, if you can't then they have to wait. No point in diving into a bush to let someone pass at all costs.

Not always the case re ascending rider. Depends on the rules of the trail centre itself.

If no signage, then ascending riders have ROW, but it's never good to just assume. Tokai, for instance, stipulates descending riders have ROW In all circumstances

Tokai  :unsure:

Brings a tear to my eyeball

Always best to keep left, as for somebody passing in singletrack, hold your line, leave a gap if you can, if you can't then they have to wait. No point in diving into a bush to let someone pass at all costs.

It always cracks me up when people dive into the bushes to let me past.  Especially when it's not a race and I'm happy to just cruise behind  :clap:

It always cracks me up when people dive into the bushes to let me past.  Especially when it's not a race and I'm happy to just cruise behind  :clap:

Hope freehub?

Hi

Newbie, so need to know what the correct etiquette is, if you are travelling in the same direction it is keep left pass right. If you are coming in opposite direction on the same trail, my assumption would have been, pass one another on the right (as you would driving a car), but this weekend (my first ride) someone said "wrong side" and now I'm not sure. What is the correct etiquette?

General rule for multidirectional single track is;

- same direction: keep left, pass right, as you said

- opposite direction: pass left, ie. always keep left where possible

- rider ascending has right or way, generally

and.........buy a bell!

Hope freehub?

Those things need to be banned!!!

That or any riders with that hub are not allowed to free wheel!!!

Not to hijack, but does all that noise make the hub any better?!!!!!

Archived