Tight tyres, time to give up?

igg

Okay, so I've just spent the last 2 hours snapping tyre levers trying to wrestle a new set of tyres onto my rims with absolutely no success. I removed all the rim tape to try get more room, but I can't even get the first bead over the rim!

Setup is a CX bike running tubeless. Tyre that came off 700-35 Continental. Tyre going on 700-33 Specialized. Rims are Mavic Kysrium SSC SL.

Really bummed about this as I acquired a small sidewall tear on my old tyres which I'm now trying to repair so I can go cycle tomorrow.

Check how much is still left to seat! Is it time to give up and start tracking down a new set of tubeless tyres (hens teeth for CX) or will my LBS be able to do some black magic and get these suckers seated?

post-41904-0-57554400-1426885585_thumb.jpg

Leave the tyres in on some paving in the hot sun so they get nice and soft and flexible - then try with as suggested sunlight water mixture.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've got the tyres busy warming up in the sun, though it's not that hot right now. Hopefully I can try track down some big levers.

The rims don't have spoke holes so I probably don't need the rim tape.

Managed to get the first bead to seat relatively easily after sitting in the sun for an hour.

Almost managed second bead, but my tyre levers weren't quite up to the job.

Get these:

http://www.parktool.com/uploads/thumbnails/uploads/products/f53f4efa887929e8471246f50ffadfcff022a63a_430x390.jpg

Managed to get the first bead to seat relatively easily after sitting in the sun for an hour.

Rounded side of a stainless steel fork will also work[emoji106]

Leave the tyres in on some paving in the hot sun so they get nice and soft and flexible - then try with as suggested sunlight water mixture.

Put the tyres in a black plastic bag and they will heat up even quicker and hotter. Solar power is the way to go. Even on a somewhat overcast day, you'll be amazed how much they can heat up.

I suspect your technique is wrong.

Dont seat the first side before you have the second side on. Instead, pinch the far side (the one that is already on the rim) all the way around into the centre slot of the rim where it will sit quite loosely.

Now try the second side, it will be much easier.

Sunlight liquid helps as does the warming up in a black bag trick.

I suspect your technique is wrong.

Dont seat the first side before you have the second side on. Instead, pinch the far side (the one that is already on the rim) all the way around into the centre slot of the rim where it will sit quite loosely.

Now try the second side, it will be much easier.

Sunlight liquid helps as does the warming up in a black bag trick.

I'm confused what you mean by "Dont seat the first side before you have the second side on"? I am pinching the beads into the centre on the far side, hence why I removed the rim tape to give myself a little bit more slack.

Even with 1 bead on the rim it's incredibly tight. I picked up some heavy duty crowbar levers and just now managed to seat both beads. Lots of swearing and sore thumbs were involved. Now to do the whole process again to switch it to tubeless :D.

Success at last. I think what surprised me the most about this whole experience is that not a single drop of stan's leaked out at any point, nor was any used to seal the bead against the rim.

Thanks for all the tips. Black bag + tyres + crowbar levers did the trick. I think I'll have to phone a friend if I ever get stranded on the side of the road, because I'm not sure I'll be able to get a tube in there in the event of a serious puncture.

post-41904-0-14028700-1426941575_thumb.jpg

Pedro's DH metal lever is the boss of tyre levers, ordered one locally for R180. Doesn't replace good technique but it helps when its just that last few mm's that need to be pushed over the rim lip that's otherwise impossible with normal tyre levers.

The green levers on the left are what I ended up using. The ones on the right are what I was snapping and bending. Even those things were bending though and I did manage to punch myself in the face when the lever slipped :thumbup:. They're R25 a lever.

post-41904-0-80070100-1426956077_thumb.jpg

Archived