Benoni early morning and weekend training

Hi all

Moving from Pretoria to Benoni at the end of April.

Are there any early morning groups that ride from the Benoni area during the week and on the weekends. Looking for a road bike group mainly that averages above 30km/hour on most rides.

Any input or contact details will be appreciated!

It looks like Benoni is a quiet place! Anyone else out there that rids a road bike in Benoni in the mornings?

Does the tour de frans group still ride in the mornings?

Hi Craig 8252 ,

Guys leave BP O.Reilly Merry at 4.30am weekdays .

The group is about 20 strong and a nice steady pace .

Another group leaves BP cnr Atlas and North Rand . This is a far stronger bunch and will average 37 on a hard day , 32/33 on an average day .

Maybe try the first slower group first , they will tell you if you should move groups .

Hope to meet up with you once you in benoni .

It looks like Benoni is a quiet place! Anyone else out there that rids a road bike in Benoni in the mornings?

Does the tour de frans group still ride in the mornings?

During the week there is a group that meets at the BP on North Rand rd opposite Tour de Frans cycles at 4:45.

• Tuesday they head out to Bedfordview and the rides are hard and will definitely be well over a 30kmh avg. Not much waiting gets done on a Tuesday so it's up to each person to hang on for dear life or ride alone.
  • Wednesday and Friday is a shorter and slightly more chilled ride, quite a few guys normally pitch up on MTBs.
  • Thursday they also head out to Bedfordview but add in a hill or 2 and they normally wait for the rest of the group after fishers hill. Still quite a tough ride.

The Tuesday and Thursday routes will change closer to winter.

Hi Craig 8252 ,

Another group leaves BP cnr Atlas and North Rand . This is a far stronger bunch and will average 37 on a hard day , 32/33 on an average day .

Maybe try the first slower group first , they will tell you if you should move groups .

Thanks for the info.

Pace sounds good. I rode the 200km Audax this past weekend at an average of just over 32km/hour. So I should manage the quicker group. Average around 10 hours on the bike per week in PTA at the moment.

Where do the guys head that leave from the O'reily BP in the mornings and how far do they generally go? I will be staying very close to that garage.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Morning all

I am now in Benoni. Looking for a pretty fast road group in the benoni area. It's pretty flat out here so looking for a group that rides at least 34km/h average.

Anyone on the hub with some contacts or know of fast road groups in the benoni area. Looking to ride at least 120km tomorrow.

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig 8252 ,

Hi there

You guys still riding during the week? What time you guys ride?

Do you guys ride on the weekend?

Thanks

Craig

Morning all

I am now in Benoni. Looking for a pretty fast road group in the benoni area. It's pretty flat out here so looking for a group that rides at least 34km/h average.

Anyone on the hub with some contacts or know of fast road groups in the benoni area. Looking to ride at least 120km tomorrow.

Thanks

Craig

when/if you want to do some mtb stuff. Pm me.

Or if you want to drink beer. Im good at that too.

wherabouts in benoni?

Hey there

I also mtb. Use the road bike as good endurance and stamina training on the weekends mostly. Done all the big mtb stage races.

I am in the brentwood park area now, and yourself?

Where do you head out on the mtb here?

Hey Craig.

I am based in Rynfield.

Not nearly as strong as you.

But for fun I ride from Rynfield to big red barn (all back roads and dirt roads.)

Then a blue route lap. Its about 70km and 600mt climbs.

I don't have the strength to ride back...yet. so I normally meet wifey and kids at big red barn for a light lunch. Kids play on the acrobranch and then drive back.

Hey Craig.

I am based in Rynfield.

Not nearly as strong as you.

But for fun I ride from Rynfield to big red barn (all back roads and dirt roads.)

Then a blue route lap. Its about 70km and 600mt climbs.

I don't have the strength to ride back...yet. so I normally meet wifey and kids at big red barn for a light lunch. Kids play on the acrobranch and then drive back.

Must join you for that ride some time...might even try the ride home after :D

• 8 years later...
On 3/25/2015 at 11:35 AM, Craig8252 said:

Hi all

Moving from Pretoria to Benoni at the end of April.

Are there any early morning groups that ride from the Benoni area during the week and on the weekends. Looking for a road bike group mainly that averages above 30km/hour on most rides.

Any input or contact details will be appreciated!

Hi Craig 

Join the BL group in the mornings they do 3 different Avg speeds and flat out hammering on Thursday morning’s just look up Bicycle Line on Google maps Bernard can add you to the what’s app group all rides posted there