2015 magalies monster

Runbikeswim

This is my main race for the year (still contemplating entering the National MTB Series Ultra at VG). From all accounts, this seems to be a proper MTB race and not the dirt-roadie type, such as Trailseeker. 

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be my 3rd, always make a weekend of it.  The beer and pool after those 5hrs is a bonus, I just think of that while out there.  And then no rush to get home.

Its  tough, the Monster is long but not that bad.  The real race starts after that nice long downhill at 80kph.  Then you still got 45km+ to get home.  Then you wonder why you entered the 80 and not the 45......... 

This race is an annual tradition between me and my mates. I actually fly op to do it. Did a couple of 45's, this hear my first 80km... very nervous.

Luckily the company and the braai afterwards is awesome!

This race is an annual tradition between me and my mates. I actually fly op to do it. Did a couple of 45's, this hear my first 80km... very nervous.

Hopefully starting a tradition as well.

Will be camping at Buffelspoort with family and brother in Law. So will not have to worry about getting to the race before or getting home after and will enjoy the atmosphere as long as we can in the racing "village"

Will be my 3rd, always make a weekend of it.  The beer and pool after those 5hrs is a bonus, I just think of that while out there.  And then no rush to get home.

Its  tough, the Monster is long but not that bad.  The real race starts after that nice long downhill at 80kph.  Then you still got 45km+ to get home.  Then you wonder why you entered the 80 and not the 45......... 

Yeah, the whole weekend is nice.

My kids had a jol there, hardly saw them eventually had to go find them to come and eat and sleep.

Last year had to just take what they had left as I only booked accommodation a couple of weeks before the event.This year we booked one of those bigger houses/whatever at Buffelspoort.. so we are styling lol.. as for the riding.. ag.. I will go into it with the same mind set I had last year.. chat to people and enjoy what I can.. I don't race.. ever, sometimes I just ride a little faster than other times. To me it's all about survival.

I have done 2, the first I suffered through and almost vowed never to go back  :whistling:  - anyways a year or 2 or 3 later I was better prepared and went out and did it again and found it much better BUT it puts me off that it is so far to drive there and back from Alberhoughton.

yeah it's the weekend before my birthday so me and the muskateer and some of our other riding buds go and have a nice weekend with something we all love doing.

Monster is the week after sani2c...perfect training...followed by a week of taper...smash it

What is taper?

Will be my 5th this year. Did the 45 all previous years topping out the top 10 last year so also time to do the 80 this year.

Only 2 problems really. 1 is the portage by the river that is a drag and 2 I am always extremely thirsty afterwards!!!

I have however found several solutions to the latter :)

Yeah, the whole weekend is nice.

My kids had a jol there, hardly saw them eventually had to go find them to come and eat and sleep.

Last year had to just take what they had left as I only booked accommodation a couple of weeks before the event.This year we booked one of those bigger houses/whatever at Buffelspoort.. so we are styling lol.. as for the riding.. ag.. I will go into it with the same mind set I had last year.. chat to people and enjoy what I can.. I don't race.. ever, sometimes I just ride a little faster than other times. To me it's all about survival.

jip... My daughter the same, can never find her.  I was in one of the luxury chalets last year,  very nice.  I booked in December again for the luxury chalets.  This time I'm leaving on the Monday.  Extra day to chill!

Monster is the week after sani2c...perfect training...followed by a week of taper...smash it

Sani is the Taper ride... :D

After going into it last year with a cold and suffering badly, popping before the Monster climb and dragging my sorry self across the line. (not a race to do if you're sick)

Hopefully not going to make the same mistake again.

Sani is the Taper ride... :D

After going into it last year with a cold and suffering badly, popping before the Monster climb and dragging my sorry self across the line. (not a race to do if you're sick)

Hopefully not going to make the same mistake again.

Wasn't that the first race on the 29r?

Archived