2015 magalies monster

Runbikeswim

Or that poor sole that finished in 9hrs.. that guy at least deserved a shot at the prize.

Bliksem! Was (s)he the last to finish in the 80km?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first event aside from JUMA so did the 45 with my boet, also a greenhorn. Was awesome and will be back but I was plagued by mechanical problems (my own and others the whole way through).

At 9km in on the climb, I looked down and my cateye was gone. Spent some time trying to find it when a lady came past and said "oh, is this yours?" and handed it to me. Thank you so much, whoever you are! 

Then I blew a spoke on that awesome descent after the big climb. Wasn't much I could do about that so I cracked on. It's the 4th spoke in quick succession on that back wheel now so definitely need a rebuild I think.

Then my boet's saddle came loose after a dry riverbed section.

Helped one girl with a nail through her tyre and another dude with a bomb regulator.

Then, with 13km still to go I snapped my rear shifter cable and had to limp back on SS with my bike "backfiring" with each turn of the crank. That wasn't fun.

So my time was a horrendous 4:08 or something. Will definitely be back to drastically improve on that though and hopefully next time I can do Magailes Monster instead of Murphy's Monster. Also very keen to do the big one. I felt fine after the 45 and had a bit of a FOMO feeling seeing those 75km race boards.

Also, any idea if/where we may preview the photos taken of riders along the route and at the finish line?

After your prang last year I was hoping you managed to go the distance. I too was screwed by a third party. Work called me at 16h00 on Friday to tell me I had to work in the place of an ill colleague. FML!

Yeah you and me both..[emoji23] [emoji23] thanks for routing for me[emoji122] [emoji16]

Aaw sorry you got screwed at work.. that's just mean.[emoji31]

I rode 2013 when i was very unfit and died, this time I way fitter but the route was much tougher (I thought).

I knocked 1:30 of my time but I rode through the finish line with one leg cleated in and the other in full cramp which has never happened to me.. My body was saying stop for FFS!

Still a really awesome race that I always use as my benchmark and will definitely train even harder for next year!

Must say, I was a bit disappointed by the Monster. The constant gradient wore you down, but if you kept a good rhythm it was actually easy. 

One of the most tiring sections for me was after the Breedts descent, when we entered that game farm/lodge, where there wasn't technically a trail. The only way you knew where you were going is because the grass was shorter where you were supposed to be riding. Was slow going over that grass and rocks.  

I know which section your talking about, I really hate those too.. Where you riding a hard tail? I recently got a soft tail (previous shard 26') and I can at least survive those now, I used to loose all speed and get shaken like I was riding a bull!

Kudos to anyone that finished tho man, its a seriously tough race!

Bliksem! Was (s)he the last to finish in the 80km?

Yeah, he, according to results was the last person in.. hope the organisers at least gave the guy a free beer and free massage.

I rode 2013 when i was very unfit and died, this time I way fitter but the route was much tougher (I thought).

I knocked 1:30 of my time but I rode through the finish line with one leg cleated in and the other in full cramp which has never happened to me.. My body was saying stop for FFS!

Still a really awesome race that I always use as my benchmark and will definitely train even harder for next year!

I agree, K-man. I knocked of 1:05 from my 2013 time. Still took 7 hrs to complete....

I felt it was tougher than in 2013 as well although I am fitter than back then. I thought I pushed harder than in 2013.

I need a route with more hills for 2016! 

Mad tough.. Did it in 4:58, I was fine till the top of the monster, then I had nothing.. Crawled home and felt nauseous all the way back.. Came close to being sick, couldn't eat or drink anything.. Note to self "don't attempt the monster if you aren't completely prepared" great race, will be back again.. Hopefully more prepared..

Was one of the last in on the 80km....started cramping around an hour in on the mini monster....not fun, cramped all the way....team mate dragged me to the finish, wouldn't let me quit....Not fun...if someone had wanted a bike while i was on course they could have had it with pleasure....

I am just not meant to finish this darn race.. woke up sick as a dog. . Even used my son's nebuliser with the hope of opening up my chest.. no go.. started.. at 10km in told hubby go I will turn.. nope decided lets just try.... sadly had to bail.. I was coughing more than breathing.. well done to everyone who did finish..

I actually remembered about your prang and the painful roasties (and pics I think). Was hoping Karma will come through for you. It is a toss feeling but the right thing to do - calling it over before harm is done.

@Gen i was the CHOC Cow that started with you guys

Hey there.. sjoe long day in the saddle. We sat at the finish line waiting for you guys, but eventually hubby started getting stiff so we made our way back to the accommodation.

Well done on finishing[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] you guys have great spirit.

That bit where we A/B batch guys were coming down and the other batches coming up the hill was a bit daft and dangerous ... not sure why that was done. Last years race was alot more technical for me, this year all the gravel was scraped, guess it made it easier to pass people walking etc.

Had a good day, my best race result ever, all about pacing from the start. Did a 2:13 on the 45 compared to last years 2:37

Good day out. Mechanical free but just couldn't keep the rubber side down on one of the ascents. Bike all good, body battered and bruised a bit.

Still managed to do a road session yesterday, albeit a slow one.

Congrats to all those that soldiered through.

I know which section your talking about, I really hate those too.. Where you riding a hard tail? I recently got a soft tail (previous shard 26') and I can at least survive those now, I used to loose all speed and get shaken like I was riding a bull!

Kudos to anyone that finished tho man, its a seriously tough race!

Must say, I was a bit disappointed by the Monster. The constant gradient wore you down, but if you kept a good rhythm it was actually easy. 

One of the most tiring sections for me was after the Breedts descent, when we entered that game farm/lodge, where there wasn't technically a trail. The only way you knew where you were going is because the grass was shorter where you were supposed to be riding. Was slow going over that grass and rocks.  

Ja, I really don’t know what is up with that. I see it in many races lately. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that we cannot get singletrack and manicured  trails the whole time, but surely there are other routes to take rather than climbing for 5km on cut grass. My mates actually have a name for it. They call it “Frits Pienaar Track” due to the huge amount of those types of trails in the Trailseeker races over the years

Archived