shredded pedal crank tread .retread?

Tayyib

Just completed some ones else's single speed build without any issues....last night when switching from flats to spds in my haste and low light managed to incorrectly insert my right pedal...It is the correct pedal but something went wrong.in the few kms I did this morning it's shredded the tread...what are my options?

If the whole length of the thread is damaged there's not much you can do.

If its just the first few threads you can clean it up, most good bike shops should have a pedal thread tap set, other wise you can just use the pedal, put it in from the back of the crank where the threads are clean, lots of lube, when it starts to bite, tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, and hopfully the pedal spindles threads are long enough to go all the way through.

Heli coils tend to pull out if they are overtightened, there is also a solid insert that can be used. Larger thread size on the outside with the 9/16th 20 tpi on the inside.

I'll go heli coil. The thread on a lefty where the hub screws onto is actually a heli coil. Strong as nails.

I'm also sure if people use heli coils on a cars cylinder head it will be good enough for a pedal thread.

I'm still looking for a left hand thread heli coil for left crank arms. They seem to be as scarce as rocking horse poo. Having them made will be in a minimum quantity of 100 at a very ridiculous price.

Just completed some ones else's single speed build without any issues....last night when switching from flats to spds in my haste and low light managed to incorrectly insert my right pedal...It is the correct pedal but something went wrong.in the few kms I did this morning it's shredded the tread...what are my options?

Not such a big deal.

I had one sorted by a guy in JHB just before the 94.7. I'll just have to find his details.

It's a simple process that involves setting an insert into the crank, cost about R300.

I'll try to find his details for you....

Eagle Canyon Cycles on the West Rand somewhere. A guy by the name of Jacques did it even though he had recently sold the shop. 

Edited by johannrissik

Not such a big deal.

I had one sorted by a guy in JHB just before the 94.7. I'll just have to find his details.

It's a simple process that involves setting an insert into the crank, cost about R300.

I'll try to find his details for you....

Eagle Canyon Cycles on the West Rand somewhere. A guy by the name of Jacques did it even though he had recently sold the shop.

Thanks that would be terrific.....crank bcd is fairly unique from What I'm told so would have to put a new front chain ring on at an unessecary expense if I buy another crank...so trying to avoid that at the moment.

Had this issue recently with an MTB crank...

But there was nothing left on my thread at all. For a solid insert they wanted to charge me R1500... This was a motorcycle shop...

So yeah maybe you are in better luck for retapping

PM Dipslick or Ampandy, they'll sort you out between them. There is an insert kit for LH pedal threads, but as per above discussion they're rare and not cheap.