Power Watt Training Studios in JHB area

thanks, maybe a question for another thread, but how does the Watt Bike compare to Cycleops best Indoor trainer?

Hard to compare really - the key differences are  - imho

Watt bike:

Can analyse pedals strokes quite nicely - cyclops can't do that as far as I can find out

Cyclops

Virtual racing - watt bike does not do that, or riding virtual courses with video.

Then aside from the cost - there is not much difference... a wattbike is a expensive bit of kit compared to the trainer, and you cannot take it on holiday with you - unless you have a BIG van/trailer

my 2c - worth what you paid for it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to compare really - the key differences are  - imho

Watt bike:

Can analyse pedals strokes quite nicely - cyclops can't do that as far as I can find out

Cyclops

Virtual racing - watt bike does not do that, or riding virtual courses with video.

Then aside from the cost - there is not much difference... a wattbike is a expensive bit of kit compared to the trainer, and you cannot take it on holiday with you - unless you have a BIG van/trailer

my 2c - worth what you paid for it.

Sorry i meant to say the cycleops indoor cycles, thanks for the input on the IDT's though.

Sorry i meant to say the cycleops indoor cycles, thanks for the input on the IDT's though.

The cyclops indoor cycles pretty much mimic the cyclops IDT as I understand it - you can certainly do the virtual racing and course - not sure on the pedalstroke analysis - don't think so  - but Dave will jump in and correct me if it can I am sure.

thanks, maybe a question for another thread, but how does the Watt Bike compare to Cycleops best Indoor trainer?

one cant really compare a R10k indoor trainer to a R55k wattbike, however we could look at comparing the wattbike to our cycleops indoor cycles, the phantom 3 and phantom 5.

the phantom 3 is very similar to the wattbike in that it offers power readings, both are super accurate although the cycleops phantom bikes are designed for home use and are really quite and easy to use, jump on and off you go, the wattbike has successfully been used in a home environment although noise and costs make it suited more for a group environment although the cycleops indoor bikes are successfully used in 10 commercial facilities around SA and have been for the past 4 years, the bikes of a cadence cycling or even our own cycleopsvip training.

the phantom 5 is slight different in that it offers controlled resistance something unique to only a few indoor trainers, this allows you to download routes from around the world and the trainer with our application will simulate the demands of the route similar to what the guys are doing with their online racing and making use of the PowerBeam

you can buy a CycleOps phantom 5 for R32k and the new PowerTap P1 pedals for R17k and still come in cheaper than a wattbike, this way you will then have a measured left / right balance and full pedal stoke analysts that you can also take out on the road with you buy removing the pedals and putting them on your road bike. 

I would suggest you head over to the BicyclePower studio on Rivonia. They have all the units there, you can look at them, touch them, smell them.....

But most importantly the guys there are super helpful and will give you the best advice for your requirements.

Chat to Michael or Dave.

All Indoor Power training sessions are pretty useless with Eskom and load shedding especially when schedules are inaccurate - check which/if any studios have back up generators or something

40 minutes into a session power goes off

Watt lab in four ways is great!

Training program really works and definitely makes you stronger

All Indoor Power training sessions are pretty useless with Eskom and load shedding especially when schedules are inaccurate - check which/if any studios have back up generators or something

ahhhhh haaaaaaa, i knew this could come up,

CycleOps VIP can run classes without power although on limited numbers as we need to make use of the CycleOps phatom 3 that does not need power. we have UPS for sound, some fans and wifi. we are adding more to power the phantom 5 units. 

POWER TO THE PEOPLE :) 

That is a very good point. Do any of these studios in the Jhb area have generators?

Going back to the trainer questions? Which is better, Tacx or cyclops? Which one can you download rides that you complete to strava. Seen some guys doing pyrenees rides on the Tacx trainers and loading it on strava.

Going back to the trainer questions? Which is better, Tacx or cyclops? Which one can you download rides that you complete to strava. Seen some guys doing pyrenees rides on the Tacx trainers and loading it on strava.

You can do it with either - there is a whole thread on this started by Rouxie - search is your friend here.

apologies for the double post - pushed the wrong button on the phone

ahhhhh haaaaaaa, i knew this could come up,

CycleOps VIP can run classes without power although on limited numbers as we need to make use of the CycleOps phatom 3 that does not need power. we have UPS for sound, some fans and wifi. we are adding more to power the phantom 5 units. 

POWER TO THE PEOPLE :)

hmmmm we are talking about power training here... get the training bikes guys are riding to charge up and provide power to power sources that intern then run lights, wifi etc etc during the session.

Just an idea :whistling:

My 2 cents worth - I have a Cycleops 420 trainer - the once with controlled resistance. Riding routes all over the world is awesome and Sufferfest make great power training videos that use the power meter. Its like a spin class but with great footage and music and it controls the resistance. One of my training partners has a Watt Bike and reckons he would have bought the Cycleops if he had to choose again.

hmmmm we are talking about power training here... get the training bikes guys are riding to charge up and provide power to power sources that intern then run lights, wifi etc etc during the session.

Just an idea :whistling:

I like that idea!! Start selling your power generated by your trainer back into the grid. The harder you pedal the more electricity you make and get paid!!

Or connect it to a generator to power the TV at home for the missus! Hows that for interval training motivation? Pedal to keep her 7de Laan on :)

Archived