Shimano DEORE XT 11 speed and 1x11 option unveiled

gummibear

The new XT 11spd cassettes are 11-40 or 11-42 and the front chainring options are only 10t apart (24-34, 26-36, 28-38) though I daresay you could mix and match for a wider spread.

So if you have 11-42 cassette with 26-38 this would make a range wide enough for almost anything rideable but it needs a RD with 43t capacity.

I don't need this much range for normal riding on prepared tracks but its useful for exploring Lesotho's goat tracks and for those of us who lack race-winning athleticism .

Ah yes, that would prove difficult..

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new XT 11spd cassettes are 11-40 or 11-42 and the standard front chainring options are only 10t apart (24-34, 26-36, 28-38) though I daresay you could mix and match for a wider spread.

So if you have 11-42 cassette with 26-38 this would make a range wide enough for almost anything rideable but it needs a RD with at least 43t capacity. Then, depending on your bike's suspension, you may need to leave 1t or 2t free for suspension related 'chain growth' . So, 45t.....

I don't need this much range for normal riding on prepared tracks but its useful for exploring Lesotho's goat tracks and for those like me who lack general athleticism .

Coming from a 1x setup: the only thing I really miss is the high speed gears, not the granny gears. If you are really worried gear range get a 3x setup. 

Coming from a 1x setup: the only thing I really miss is the high speed gears, not the granny gears. If you are really worried gear range get a 3x setup.

With 11-40 or 11-42 cassettes I think the need for a 3x setup has fallen away...

Ok that's R13750 more or less for a groupset less the FD,chain, front shifter, discs and cables.

Early adopters can have this. Not much further to a full M9000 group.

??? Only like another M8000 groupset before yo get to M9000....

??? Only like another M8000 groupset before yo get to M9000....

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough.....for the M8000 full group you still have to add FD, discs, fd shifter etc to the R13750 for the parts shown in this offer. It will come to about R18k all in if you buy the bits individually at these prices....and you cant do anything with only a portion of this new group unless buying bits to replace broken M9000 stuff.

For R18k I would rather supplement 10 to 20% and get M9000.....or wait for the full M8000 group at much lower price for the bundle.

buT m9000  is R28K retail. Probably a bit cheaper from direct importers. GBP1900 from CRC.

These new Shimano groups are pretty pricey

Edited by raptor-22

These new Shimano groups are pretty pricey

Ja, just wait a few years till the 11-speed Deore comes out. By then it will probably cost the same as the current XTR group due to bike-inflation and everyone will be drooling over the new 5x12 speed XTR group.

Does the 11-42 shimano cassette need a new free hub body like the sram 10-42, or will it fit on my current 10 speed?

The Shimano 11 speed cassette fits a standard 10 speed Freebody hub.

G

Does the 11-42 shimano cassette need a new free hub body like the sram 10-42, or will it fit on my current 10 speed?

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough.....for the M8000 full group you still have to add FD, discs, fd shifter etc to the R13750 for the parts shown in this offer. It will come to about R18k all in if you buy the bits individually at these prices....and you cant do anything with only a portion of this new group unless buying bits to replace broken M9000 stuff.

For R18k I would rather supplement 10 to 20% and get M9000.....or wait for the full M8000 group at much lower price for the bundle.

Not sure I follow where we ask R13750 excluding FD,Rotors, Left Shifter???

Previous reply edited:

Oh bugger.....humble apologies Naas. I was reading the RRPs instead of the actual prices you are offering.....

So my R13750 becomes R10075 with i-spec shifter and 11-40 cassette. Then the extra components for a full 2x10 set with discs, fd, shifter and chain would be about R3k more. Sorry for the confusion all.

I'd still be tempted to jump for M9000, or a mix.

Edited by JXV

Previous reply edited:

Oh bugger.....humble apologies Naas. I was reading the RRPs instead of the actual prices you are offering.....

So my R13750 becomes R9975. Then the extra components for a full 2x10 set with discs, fd, shifter and chain would be about R3k more. Sorry for the confusion all.

I'd still be tempted to jump for M9000, or a mix.

No worries! That sounds better:)

Anyone know if I can use my existing XT clutch RD just change the Guide & Tensioner Pulleys? I assume bottom and top range is the same as the cassette is the same width as 10 speed and then new 11 speed shifter will handle the indexing correctly?

Anyone know if I can use my existing XT clutch RD just change the Guide & Tensioner Pulleys? I assume bottom and top range is the same as the cassette is the same width as 10 speed and then new 11 speed shifter will handle the indexing correctly?

I think the cassette is only the same width at the centre i.e. where it contacts the freehub. It's actual profile may be wider due to the dishing of the cogs on the upper end.

In my opinion, it won't work.

Edited by Renaissance Man

You should be able to get it set up with the limit screws and b tension adjuster .Not sure if it has sufficient range I.e.Can ot handle the 42 when running on the 32 t chain ring ? Chain length can assist .

Best is to try it out and report back .Until then everything is just speculation